PDA

View Full Version : Coldcalling with QTs

MoDOH
12-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop aggressor was an unknown...
If he had been a TAG would that have made this a fold instead?

Now I am usually mucking this 100% of the time. But all the dead money in the pot made me call...
standard?

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $3. MP3 posts a blind of $3. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 (poster) calls, MP3 (poster) calls, CO (poster) folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (12.33 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Button folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.66 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 8.66 BB

Fat Nicky
12-22-2004, 11:36 AM
I fold this pre-flop.

chief444
12-22-2004, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't say it's standard, but how often do you have three people post at once? I guess I would probably call here as well. I'm assuming you're only question was preflop.

Spartan1983
12-22-2004, 11:41 AM
It's probably the right play, but I would have trouble cold calling a raise here with so many players still to act. But I'm probably weak.

MoDOH
12-22-2004, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming you're only question was preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...

7ontheline
12-22-2004, 12:06 PM
I typically fold QTs to a raise preflop also. With all that money out there, I think it's fine to cold-call, especially if it's a loose raiser or a passive table behind you. You have to imagine at least 1-2 of the posters will call, and maybe a blind also. I guess the problem is that with all the new posters, if one of them is a raising maniac your odds are even worse. I don't think it's a big deal though - if this is a mistake, it sure looks like an example of one of Ed Miller's SSH "small" mistakes. So you gave up one BB on one hand - big deal.

mistrpug
12-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Cold calling is ok here assuming you're going to have multi-way action. With the posters, you more than likely will. I like the call. Nice hand.

Malcom Reynolds
12-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Interesting.

The only thing that sucks about the hand is that you have terrible position against the preflop raiser who could potentially dominate you. But the deal is sweetened by all the dead money in the pot and a possible multiway hand.

I'd probably call here too. If it's profitable, I think it's only marginally so.

bernie
12-22-2004, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But all the dead money in the pot made me call...

[/ QUOTE ]

What is dead money? I've seen this phrase a few times now. To me it's live money since they all have hands still active and yet to act. It's not dead until they fold.

b