PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Beltre is a Mariner

nolanfan34
12-16-2004, 04:56 PM
My guy in their front office just confirmed it. Haven't heard the terms yet, but it's a done deal. He said people are literally cheering there at Safeco.

wOOt wOOt!

M2d
12-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

DonWaade
12-16-2004, 04:58 PM
REALLY

That is great. A real third baseman. We have not had one since Jim Pres-- Scott Spie--- we have never had one!! Do you have a link Nolan?

nolanfan34
12-16-2004, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
REALLY

That is great. A real third baseman. We have not had one since Jim Pres-- Scott Spie--- we have never had one!! Do you have a link Nolan?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's even hit the web yet. I guess ESPN is reporting it, but i don't know that they've even been able to confirm it.

nolanfan34
12-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Now it's online (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1947751) .

M2d
12-16-2004, 05:01 PM
freakin dodgers couldn't even match 12 million a year?

DonWaade
12-16-2004, 05:03 PM
excellent

mojorisin24
12-16-2004, 05:04 PM
That's big news for Mariners fans. With Beltre and the addition of Richie Sexson, it is clear the Mariners have aggressively begun the rebuilding phase of their operation. Now they need to pursue some frontline pitching so they can be contenders within the next few years.

B Dids
12-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Wow- the M's finally did something that made me happy.

RcrdBoy
12-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Damn, dude. I was just listening to the radio 10 minutes ago and they were still speculating and talking to some guys from LA. You must really be connected!

I can't believe they are spending this kind of cash, but I'll take it.

I still kind of wish this could have happened last year with Tejada and Guerrero.

Oh well, 88 wins here we come!

DonWaade
12-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Their pitching is not top notch but they are young enough that it will be soon. I think the Front office was fairly pleased with the performance of a lot of guys. Madritsch etc. Pinero will be a stud. He just needs some run support. I am glad that they finally ponied up big money for a big name.

IndieMatty
12-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Isn't anyone suspicious of Beltre? I mean, for the last 5 years he showed promise but would desperately suck for months at a time in LA, then he has his one good year in his <gasp> contract year? I don't want to be a downer, but I wouldn't be expecting 04 years all the time. Look at his career? I know he's young, but he was basically like a 250, 20 70 guy his first 5 years.

RcrdBoy
12-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Those 116 wins in 2001 just didn't do it for ya? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

B Dids
12-16-2004, 05:17 PM
I should have said "the front office". Actually the Reed/Olivo trade was pretty good too...

mojorisin24
Yeah, the Dodgers not matching $12 million smacks of their front office not having faith in Beltre. Their position is probably because Beltre was a career-long underachiever who didn't "get it together" until his contract year, he probably isn't worth the investment. Also, Paul DePodesta is in charge there, and his Moneyball philosophy might clash with paying Beltre that much when he figures he can get a cheaper, solid replacement and redirect that money towards trading for and then signing someone like Tim Hudson to a longterm deal. The Dodgers better get some type of bat though, or else they'll be faced with more B.S. like 2003, when they had trouble putting up even four runs in a game.

kerssens
5 yrs $65M

nolanfan34
12-16-2004, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't anyone suspicious of Beltre? I mean, for the last 5 years he showed promise but would desperately suck for months at a time in LA, then he has his one good year in his <gasp> contract year? I don't want to be a downer, but I wouldn't be expecting 04 years all the time. Look at his career? I know he's young, but he was basically like a 250, 20 70 guy his first 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's only 25. He didn't recover well from surgery when he had that botched appendectomy a few years back, and I remember reading last year that he said he didn't feel back to full strength until last season.

Remember as well that his 1999 and 2000 seasons, he was only 19 and 20 those years. There are few guys who have come up that young, that have been able to put up lines like that at that age. Same goes for the minor leagues, he was tearing those up at a very young age.

I think he's well worth the risk for the next 5 years.

RcrdBoy
12-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Sure, it scares the crap out me. The Ms are spending a lot of money and, unlike the Yankees, can't undo massive spending mistakes. If either Beltre or Sexon really underperform they are screwed. They had a difficult time recovering form Jeff Cirillo and they only owed that guy like 6 million.

On the positive side, he did play half his games at Dodger Stadium. I think it's actually worse to hit in than Safeco. The other big thing is that he is 25. Most players best years are between about 27 - 31. Also, he was the top fielding 3B in the majors last year.

I don't think anyone can expect 04 numbers, but .290 30 110 and great defense at 3rd would be just fine.

IndieMatty
12-16-2004, 05:28 PM
Every year I expected him to blow up...so I'm suspicious when a player finally does in his contract year.

Good luck with him though. You guys need Piniella back.

RcrdBoy
12-16-2004, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I should have said "the front office". Actually the Reed/Olivo trade was pretty good too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, just bustin' yer balls.

Last year's off season moves were brutal. I really thought the same thing was going to happen this year.

I still can't believe that they spent this kind of money. Bavasi has to be in heaven.

wayabvpar
12-16-2004, 05:36 PM
Beltre was the guy I wanted as soon as the season ended. He is a fantastic fit- they get big offensive production from a position they have never filled adequately, as well as a excellent defense. To get him at such a low price (relative to Sexson, Renteria, Martinez, etc) is unreal.

I guess Boras realized that the market was drying up- only the Dodgers and M's were serious contenders, and both had already spent some of their potential FA money (Kent, Sexson). I am seriously FIRED UP about this signing- I had goosebumps when I first heard about it. Wow.

Dynasty
12-16-2004, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That is great. A real third baseman. We have not had one since Jim Pres-- Scott Spie--- we have never had one!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Edgar Martinez was a third baseman for several years.

andyfox
12-16-2004, 06:01 PM
My son predicted that when the Dodgers signed Jeff Kent is meant they wouldn't be signing Beltre, because it meant there would be less money in the pot with which to sign him.

Sure doesn't look like the Dodgers have much of a team now. No Lima, no Finley, no Beltre. Will they offer Edwin Jackson for Tim Hudson?

Six_of_One
12-16-2004, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My son predicted that when the Dodgers signed Jeff Kent is meant they wouldn't be signing Beltre, because it meant there would be less money in the pot with which to sign him.

Sure doesn't look like the Dodgers have much of a team now. No Lima, no Finley, no Beltre. Will they offer Edwin Jackson for Tim Hudson?

[/ QUOTE ]

I feared the same thing, but I sure don't understand it. $65 million doesn't seem like an outrageous price to pay...as a Dodger fan, I'm tremendously disappointed that they didn't choose to match it.

Perhaps the owner was just lying when he said he wasn't going to reduce payroll this year.

DonWaade
12-16-2004, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Edgar Martinez was a third baseman for several years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edgar was one of my all time favorites so no disrespect to him. He just was not the good at third either

jedi
12-16-2004, 06:50 PM
NOOOOO!!!

Finally us Dodger fans get the solid 3rd baseman we've been looking for. It's been a revolving door position since Ron Cey and when Beltre came up a few years ago we saw a lot of promise that was never fulfilled.... until this year.

And then the Dodgers have to let them go? Rupert Murdoch sucks. Bring back the O'Malleys.

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 07:01 PM
I have had a boner for two hours now.

still overcome with joy!!!!!!!!!

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 07:05 PM
BTW, I called this about 3 days ago.

Yes, thats right, I am a baseball guru.

Thanks guys.

Six_of_One
12-16-2004, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Rupert Murdoch sucks. Bring back the O'Malleys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, you're a little behind here. Frank McCourt is the owner. You can't blame Rupert anymore.

Zeno
12-16-2004, 10:21 PM
Good News. If they can shore up the pitching the Mariners will be a respectable team this next season and may become a powerhouse in a few years and dominate the AL. This could depend on how well Jesus (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1400312&page=1&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) does with the Yankees. He may be something of a slacker and problem - I hear he hangs out with hookers.

-Zeno

jedi
12-22-2004, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Rupert Murdoch sucks. Bring back the O'Malleys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, you're a little behind here. Frank McCourt is the owner. You can't blame Rupert anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure I can. He ran the team into the ground. Bring back the O'Malleys!