PDA

View Full Version : Hands to call a raise on the bubble when shortstacked?

vindikation
12-16-2004, 01:19 PM
I have improved my bubble play (5-4 players) quite a bit by being more aggresive stealing blinds in the late stages when there are limpers or it is folded to me on button or in the blinds. Postition and stack size seem to be of paramount importance here.

Lately shortstacked on the bubble I have gotten into trouble by pushing with marginal hand (AJs, KJ, etc) when a bigger stack raises (thinking they are stealing). I'm learning that I should probably fold or possibly only call in these situations and not jeoprdize my tournament calling or pushing with a marginal hand.

If you are shortstacked on the bubbble (under 10bb's, 4-5 players left) what hands would you call a bigger stack's standard raise?

syka16
12-16-2004, 01:32 PM
AK, AQ, maybe AJ. 99s or bettter. Some say AK, JJ, and better but I think that's too tight against a typical big stack at a lower buy in.

syka16
12-16-2004, 01:37 PM
Push. I'm done calling with 9BB unless I get fancy with AA or KK.

ghostface
12-16-2004, 02:34 PM
I agree, cold calling raises on the bubble doesnt make too much sense to me at the lower buyins. Dont know about the higher buyins tho. Push or fold or you could get into trouble with two big stacks vs. you the shortstack. Then what do you do if 30% of your stack is in the pot and you miss the flop against two opponents.

Seems better to push preflop, have 5 cards to work with and hopefully be against one opponent.

Of course this is assuming the blinds are large (Level 4-6). But I still wouldnt be calling many raises period unless you are trying to get fancy or if there is a shorter stack out there that may get knocked out soon, which would allow you to fold if you miss on the flop and still be around for the top 3.

syka16
12-16-2004, 03:11 PM
good point. If there are short stacks or LAG mid stacks left to act then you should be a little tighter. Being 3 handed with 99s would not be a very good situation. so in those cases, I would revert back to AK AQ JJ higher.

vindikation
12-16-2004, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Push or fold or you could get into trouble with two big stacks vs. you the shortstack. Then what do you do if 30% of your stack is in the pot and you miss the flop against two opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, GREAT POINT, I never thought of this. Very good food for thought.

So what hands would you consider playing in this position?

captZEEbo1
12-16-2004, 07:35 PM
man lately, on the 30 sngs, I've been getting called by KT and A5-A2 a lot. Let's say I'm utg, have 7x bb, and it's 8 handed, blinds are 50/100, I push a hand like KQ, or QTs (maybe not the best play), but players are calling me on bb with like KT or A2 for most all their chips. It has become unreal. I cannot comprehend these A2o calls.

After a bigstack limps, I find that you cannot push any low pp's or <AJ. They call EVERYTIME and always will win with A6 or K9 or QJ vs whatever you pushed.

tigerite
12-16-2004, 07:43 PM
The reason people play tight against the big stack is, even something like AT is not going to be a big enough favourite against him, if he's stealing with KQ/KJ/QJ or other garbage. And if he has you covered, he WILL call you. Also, you have 10BB, what is the point in making a stand with that unless the blinds are going up very soon. If you're in the SB/BB and he's raising you then a stop and go can be very effective in this latter case, or when you're down to say 6-7BB.

Big Limpin'
12-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Stop using the call button on the bubble. ESPECIALLY if you are shortstack.

KingDan
12-16-2004, 09:01 PM
I'm hoping someone can find an article that suggests tightening up when shortstacked, and about all-in and fold situations.

my dad (beginner) disagrees with me on some of the basics, so I was hoping someone could link me an article that might change his mind

Big Limpin'
12-16-2004, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm hoping someone can find an article that suggests tightening up when shortstacked

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be difficult

KingDan
12-16-2004, 09:58 PM
What I meant by that, something pointing out you can't call 1/3 of your stack with a small pocket pair or some of the sort when you dont have many more bbs.
Or not playing a2 suited with 9 bb left in early position.

Big Limpin'
12-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Fair enough, i kinda made my post in a flippish manner. I think the advice you are looking for is:

When you are shortstacked, any call you make will pot-commit you, and as such you are best to shove your chips into the middle.

El Maximo
12-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Dont give your Dad anything to read. Just make sure you play at the same table as him.