PDA

View Full Version : Hand for sthief09...$6-$12 at the Borgata

Mike Gallo
12-12-2004, 01:11 PM
I did not plan on posting this hand, however after sthief09's recent KK post, I felt inspired to post this hand.

The main villian in this hand, the player in the small blind played too many hands. He played any two suited cards and any paint.

Five limpers to me on the button and I looked down at A /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif and raised. People for the most part played their own cards at this table, never bothering to put someone on a hand.

The small blind called the big blind folded and everyone who had money in the pot, called again.7.5 big bets in the pot. $90 in the pot preflop

Flop K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

The small blind bet, one player called, I raised the small blind called the player to close action called. $126 in the pot now.

Turn K /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

The small blind bet the next player to act folded and I raised..again. The small blind called. $174 in the pot.

River 8/images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

The small blind checked, what action do I take?

Tosh
12-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Um, bet.

sthief09
12-12-2004, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Um, bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I don't get it either

Mike Gallo
12-12-2004, 01:24 PM
..ok. I did bet and villian raised me.

Now what? He has bet into me on the flop after I raised preflop. He bet into me on the turn even after I raised his flop bet. The river he checked. Look at the board very carefully.

For the record, I would play the hand the way I played it every time.

My point to you Josh is, you posted when will I learn. You had Kings against a semi coordinated board.

Mike Gallo
12-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Um, bet.

Of course I did, and I did not reraise the villians check raise.

sthief09
12-12-2004, 01:34 PM
OK now I see the point. I couldn't see what betting the river had to do with anything. obviously I'm not laying down in this spot, but I don't blame you for calling. I wouldn't 3-bet either. do you think that's bad? I tend to tighten up a lot when I see those tell-tale signs that I'm beat. the flop smooth call followed by raising a turn blank is probably the biggest one, and I just about always fold to that. that's probably bad. I'm a lot looser on the river though. I only have to be good about half as often to make the call, since I'm putting only 1 more bet in.

but about the hand, the flop bet could be anything. more often than not, the turn bet is either a semi-bluff, or someone refusing to believe that his trips are no good. the river check-raise probably means that he filled up. I don't give anyone enough credit to be that tricky to bet, bet, and then check-raise the river. I guess it's possible he filled up on the turn and waited until the river, so not to scare you away. you gotta be pretty damn sure you're behind here, but full houses just don't happen that much in this game. he could've gotten empowered with KQ or KJ, or he could just plain not believe you.

to be honest, I'd be really tempted to fold, but obviously I wouldn't in a pot that size. I hope he showed you something stupid like A8, but I think it's K8 the majority of the time.

Mike Gallo
12-12-2004, 01:40 PM
...he had 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif for the flopped open ended straight draw.

After I walked into the river check raise, I knew what he had, however I had to pay off.

I wanted to make this point to you, we all walk into traps. It happens. Normally I would have three bet my opponent and saw a hand like KQ KJ or K9.

Mike Gallo
12-12-2004, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't 3-bet either. do you think that's bad?

Not at all. He told me he had me on three streets, eventually I have to believe him.

but about the hand, the flop bet could be anything

We agree. I put him on perhaps a King or he flopped a piece of the board. Either way I have to raise. I think I have the best hand.

the turn bet is either a semi-bluff, or someone refusing to believe that his trips are no good

The former not the latter. He set up the pass by using the run.

spamuell
12-12-2004, 01:45 PM
I can see 75s being distinctly possible as well, depending how good the sb is. Call with your suited connectors pf with good position relative to the pfr.

Bet the open ender into the LP pfr and hope to trap many people with your quality draw.

Bet the turn which is a scare card and the field is now thinned. It's unlikely that you'll get raised and if you do, you know you are losing 0 bets on the river if you miss and almost certainly gaining at least two if you hit. Unless pfr has specifically 88 (and many won't raise 88 here) then it's very unlikely you're behind.

After being raised on the turn, the river check-raise is obvious.

I could easily believe that someone would decide this is a good way to play 75s.

EDIT: I wrote all this before I the results were posted. MG in NJ posted them while I was writing this, but I look like such a cheat lol.

lehighguy
12-12-2004, 01:46 PM
A word on the Borgata 6-12, there is a 50% chance he is bluffing the entire time with 2-8 offsuit. Or was that just my table last night. He could also think his pocket tens are good, or his king-2. God I saw some crazy [censored] last night.

Mike Gallo
12-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Spam,

EDIT: I wrote all this before I the results were posted. MG in NJ posted them while I was writing this, but I look like such a cheat lol.

Nope, you do not look like a cheat. I kind of liked the way the villian played the hand also. He had a stack buster hand, and if we played no limit, he would have busted me. He flopped a pretty strong draw, and a hard hand to see. I only saw it after he check raised the river. I had to pay off the river because of the size of the pot.

sthief09
12-12-2004, 02:02 PM
what's the point of the turn bet? he's not going to make you fold. you raised preflop and raised the field the flop. you aren't folding the turn, and he's beating you 1 in 5 times. his turn bet didn't gain him any extra. you're betting the river whether you have trips or a pocket pair

Mike Gallo
12-12-2004, 02:06 PM
what's the point of the turn bet

I guess to semi bluff. I do not know either. Perhaps to disguise his well disguised drawing hand?

River2Pair
12-12-2004, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what's the point of the turn bet

I guess to semi bluff. I do not know either. Perhaps to disguise his well disguised drawing hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

It already is disguised. Like thief said, you aren't folding on the turn, and at this point he is about a 5-1 dog. The flop bet was fine, but the turn bet is just straight up gambling.

me454555
12-12-2004, 02:37 PM
I don't think theres anything you can do any differntly on any street and even given the results, I like the way you played it.

PF and flop are standard. Turn, you gotta raise b/c more often then not, he'll be betting a weaker king or semibluffing.

River gotta bet it. Too much value not to. Once you're c/red you gotta call b/c your hand is way too good to fold for 1 more bet on the river.

MoreWineII
12-12-2004, 03:19 PM
I dunno, this seems like a pretty standard hand that had some crummy results. It happens.

Mike Gallo
12-12-2004, 03:34 PM
For the record, I have no qualms with how I played the hand. I would play it the same way most times and expect to come out on a winner. I posted this hand for sthief09 to see that ..life happens. Go back and read his.."When will I learn post".

Mike Gallo
12-12-2004, 03:37 PM
A word on the Borgata 6-12, there is a 50% chance he is bluffing the entire time with 2-8 offsuit. Or was that just my table last night. He could also think his pocket tens are good, or his king-2. God I saw some crazy [censored] last night.

I saw a lot of hopeless bluffing during my session Friday night.

Mike Gallo
12-12-2004, 03:38 PM
I dunno, this seems like a pretty standard hand that had some crummy results. It happens.

I agree /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Mike Gallo
12-12-2004, 03:39 PM
I agree with you.

sthief09
12-12-2004, 07:32 PM
the moral of the story is that I complain too much about things that are out of my control

BottlesOf
12-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Why did he bet the turn? That makes me think he less likely has 57 on the river, I'd think a retarded boat before straight.