PDA

View Full Version : King-Ten Suited

nepenthe
12-11-2004, 10:36 PM
One hand from the other night:

I limped UTG with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Against my expectation everyone else folded to the SB who raised. It was folded to me and I called.

Flop was KT4, rainbow.

SB bet, I called.

Turn was another 4, pairing the board.

SB bet, I considered raising, I considered calling, and I called.

River was an offsuit Ace, making the final board KT44A.

SB bet, I considered raising, I considered folding, I considered calling, and called. Goodnight.

spamuell
12-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Nepenthe posted another badly played hand. I considered not responding, I considered asking why he didn't raise the turn and I considered mocking him. I mocked him. Goodnight.

bisonbison
12-11-2004, 10:48 PM
Spam, let's keep it friendly. Posting badly played hands is the point of this forum.

Nep, raise the turn. He may call you with a bare ace, he'll definitely call you with a king and may call with an underpair.

spamuell
12-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Spam, let's keep it friendly. Posting badly played hands is the point of this forum.

Bison, I know you're right about that but my comments weren't really about it being badly played, I should have made myself clearer. A play with JJ (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1373032&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) triggered this for me.

Anyway, I'd raise the turn because you get called by a lot but I don't mind waiting until the river. I think you do have to raise the river though, the A isn't that scary when you think about what he might hold. You're behind a few more hands and you may not get the calls from lower pairs now there are two overcards on board but you might get them anyway because raising the A heads-up looks like a bluff. Also, you now get called by A-big when you raise which you wouldn't have before on the river (which is why I raise the turn).

ErrantNight
12-11-2004, 11:02 PM
raise the turn...

consider raising the flop?

nepenthe
12-12-2004, 04:36 AM
One thing I did not reveal was a pause before opponent's river bet. He showed QQ, and I took it down. He said something to the effect of wtf, you didn't raise once so I could fold? That liar.

chesspain
12-12-2004, 04:48 AM
Nepenthe, you make me sad.

Danenania
12-12-2004, 04:51 AM
Against certain types of players I think this is perfectly fine. I would always raise the turn against an unknown but this certainly isn't misplayed as horribly as everyone is saying. He just got a bad river card.

nepenthe
12-12-2004, 04:52 AM
a peculiar emotion that, dr chesspain
are there events in your life that may need mending sir

Danenania
12-12-2004, 04:53 AM
If these are 3/6 players there is no need to raise the flop. The bets are bigger on the turn and he will call it down just as often as a flop raise.

James282
12-12-2004, 05:09 AM
I'm trying to think of a good reason not to raise the turn but for the life of me I can't.
-James

James282
12-12-2004, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Bison, I know you're right about that but my comments weren't really about it being badly played, I should have made myself clearer. A play with JJ (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1373032&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) triggered this for me.

Anyway, I'd raise the turn because you get called by a lot but I don't mind waiting until the river. I think you do have to raise the river though, the A isn't that scary when you think about what he might hold. You're behind a few more hands and you may not get the calls from lower pairs now there are two overcards on board but you might get them anyway because raising the A heads-up looks like a bluff. Also, you now get called by A-big when you raise which you wouldn't have before on the river (which is why I raise the turn).

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude the ace is about the worst freaking card possible. In fact, I can't think of a worse card. You realize that the bottom card being paired counterfeits his two pair if the other guy has an ace, right? Waiting til the river to raise also sucks because hands like AQ that will bet the turn will certainly call a raise, whereas a hand like AQ or JJ will be highly unlikely to bet the river unimproved, though it might check-call. You absolutely need to raise the turn and unless this guy is a pretty good player he's paying you off with any pair and pretty much any big ace on the turn and very likely the river if he has a pair.
-James

nothumb
12-12-2004, 05:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Turn was another 4, pairing the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking I might create a troll account called "MR REDUNDANT MAN" or something just for all these types of lines. Been seeing a lot of them lately. I kind of enjoy them though, and trolls seem to be too trendy for me to become one now. Sup Bro?

I think raising the turn is clearly, clearly the play. The better question is, do you then check behind on the river when that awful bullet falls?

NT