PDA

View Full Version : 2/4 BB hand...I need help

vetman81
12-11-2004, 01:37 AM
UTG is typical loose passive...VP$IP over 35, PFR 0.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP3 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, SB folds.

River: (5.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

I dont really know what to do in these situations. I could check call, but it seems like I would have no clue as to where I stood in the hand. As it is, I really didnt have much clue anyways. Check folding seems too weak, but is probably a better option than check calling the whole way through. Betting seems like the best option to me, but I end up in bad situations a lot of the time. Thoughts?

Nick C
12-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Against just three opponents, I would bet the flop, like you did.

No one showed resistance on the flop and now I only have two opponents. So I bet again on the turn.

I don't like the river card much, but I probably bet again. However, when I get raised by UTG, I fold. My hand isn't really very good, the pot isn't all that big, my opponent is passive, and although the river card did make a straight possible, it isn't an obvious scare card. So I'm pretty sure I'm beat.

chesspain
12-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Ridiculously easy river fold.

vetman81
12-11-2004, 02:58 PM
I agree. I dont really know what I was thinking at the time. Thanks for the responses.

Sir Limps Alot
12-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Check and call the river. This is a mistake that alot of players make. You have J 7 off suit this is not a strong hand, if you win this it should be at minimal risk. Good play on flop and turn but the river, save yourself the money. Check and call or bet and fold to a three bet.

chesspain
12-11-2004, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check and call the river. This is a mistake that alot of players make.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like unintentional humor. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Seriously, I would only check-call against a tricky and/or aggressive player. Checkcalling against a seemingly passive calling station means that you usually are only putting money into the pot on the river when you are losing.

Sir Limps Alot
12-11-2004, 03:37 PM
What was the result of the hand?

Did he chase down a king or did he have better Jack?

slavic
12-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Being as calling station as listed I say he had QT

vetman81
12-11-2004, 04:19 PM
He had AJs.

ecooke
12-11-2004, 04:34 PM
In this situation my “standard” play (whatever that means) is to check/call the Flop unless the LP player bets in which case I raise. Otherwise I lead the Turn when a blank drops.
What do you think?

me454555
12-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Check calling the river is terrible here b/c your opponent is loose (35/0). He could easily be calling down w/2nd pair, a lower pp. Hes a loose player so he might even call down with w/an A high missed flush draw as well as overcards that missed. Since he's not aggressive, there's little chance of inducing a bluff and all it does is give him a chance to check behind on the river if he's got a worse hand or value bet his good hands.

Based on your description of him, hes not going to bluff the river too often so once he raises that river, you can probobly toss your hand b/c there is little chance it is good.