PDA

View Full Version : Huge pot, what is my turn action?

Hallett
12-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Sorry, live game so no converter. 6/12, very loose, somewhat aggressive. I have reads on all players.

Hero is in the C/O with 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

UTG Limps, UTG+1 (Loose, aggressive when he has a good hand, passive otherwise) limps, UTG+2 limps, MP1 limps, MP2 (LAG) <font color="red"> raises </font> Hero calls, button ( (young, LAG, hat on sideways)<font color="red">3-bets </font> SB (TAG) folds, BB folds, all limpers call to Hero, who <font color="red">caps </font>.

Flop is T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG checks, UTG+1 bets (I know how he plays, he very likely has a T, if he had a diamond draw, he would check-raise). Called to MP2 who <font color="red"> raises </font>. Hero <font color="red"> 3-bets </font> button <font color="red">caps </font>. UTG+1, MP2, and Hero all call, everyone else abandons ship.

Turn is 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Checked through to Hero, who <font color="red"> bets </font>, buttton <font color="red"> raises </font> UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero........calls /images/graemlins/blush.gif .

River T /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG+1 bets, Hero....thinks very quickly... <font color="red"> raises </font> button folds, UTG+1 calls.

I show my house, and it is good. In overheard conversation, UTG+1 had a T, and button had 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, for a flopped open ended straight-flush draw.

Thoughts on the hand, particularly the turn are welcome. Do I three-bet?

Ralph Wiggum
12-10-2004, 04:56 PM
I don't see any reason to ever slow down in this hand.

CinnamonWind
12-10-2004, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do I three-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Yes, yes, yes a thousand times yes.

SamIAm
12-10-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
all limpers call to Hero, who <font color="red">caps </font>.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, you capped the flop? Why? It's not like you have value, and you're sure not going to kick people out. What's the rationale?

I think you've got to 3-bet the turn, too. You're behind TT; otherwise you're ahead. Seems pretty clear.

River's, of course, correct. Nice quick thinking, raising that boat on the river. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
-Sam

chief444
12-10-2004, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
button ( (young, LAG, hat on sideways)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 3-betting the turn.

I would not cap pf though.

Hallett
12-10-2004, 05:07 PM
I felt UTG+1 had Tx, and button had either a draw or an overpair. If I raised, I fully expect button to cap. He is very aggressive, and his posture, body language, etc. lead me to believe he will cap if I raise. I want UTG+1 to stay in the hand, if he hits a T he is dead, unless he has the unlikely T 7 or T 2. UTG+1 is very capable of folding, and may if it is two more to him. As far as I can tell, he is drawing dead, while the button is very live. I did a quick trade off decision, get rid of the drawing dead guy for 24 more dollars, or keep him around, hope he hits, and that the button does not.

Is that reasonable?

Hallett
12-10-2004, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all limpers call to Hero, who <font color="red">caps </font>.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, you capped the flop? Why? It's not like you have value, and you're sure not going to kick people out. What's the rationale?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the cap is for value. I may not have gotten the number of callers in properly, as I can't use the converter. But I am either the 7th or 8th person in the hand. Nobody is going to fold once I cap, and I am 7.5-1 to improve. UTG+1 does not have TT, he would have played it differently on the flop.

chief444
12-10-2004, 05:13 PM
What makes you think UTG+1 folds if you 3-bet when he already called two cold? I think this is a very easy 3-bet, especially with your reads.

nebben
12-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Explain to me why you don't have value. You have a set of 7s, and the only hand that can beat you at this point is pocket tens. How is that not value? Am i missing something? Also, you don't necessarily need to knock people out, but you would like to make weak draws make a decision between folding and losing their equity and making an unprofitable call (i.e. gutshots)
Capping preflop and turn would have been a good play. You have many opponents in and your equity edge is big with your set. Exploit it because there is no greater advantage in calling.

chief444
12-10-2004, 05:16 PM
I'm sure he meant preflop, not on the flop.

Hallett
12-10-2004, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What makes you think UTG+1 folds if you 3-bet when he already called two cold? I think this is a very easy 3-bet, especially with your reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is heads up, I three-bet, but I am pretty sure (mostly sure?) that button will cap. UTG+1 will figure out that he is against a set, and drawing dead. This guy can think, albeit a bit slow. He is very capable of folding to the re-raise and cap.

chief444
12-10-2004, 05:26 PM
He must be more than a bit slow if he hasn't figured out that his Tx is no good by the first turn bet&amp;raise, especially after the two previous streets being capped.

Demana
12-10-2004, 05:26 PM
You would have gotten two more bets from the button, instead of the two bets on the river from UTG. And that is only if UTG folds. He already called two cold, I don't see how he is going to muck his hand at this point to your bet and the button's cap behind him, and that is extra bets for you.

Hallett
12-10-2004, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You would have gotten two more bets from the button, instead of the two bets on the river from UTG. And that is only if UTG folds. He already called two cold, I don't see how he is going to muck his hand at this point to your bet and the button's cap behind him, and that is extra bets for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

To everyone who says to three bet the turn, I agree. I was not certain at the time; maybe 60% call, 40% three-bet, which is why I posted the hand. Your arguments are all very convincing, and helped a lot. Thanks.

MoreWineII
12-10-2004, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do I three-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hero........calls /images/graemlins/blush.gif .

[/ QUOTE ]

You know the answer to this question, don't you?

me454555
12-10-2004, 06:11 PM
I think you gotta 3 bet the turn. You've got middle set and unless he's got TT, you're fine. You're clearly ahead of the other caller so theres definatly equity in a raise there.

Number4
12-10-2004, 07:21 PM
3-bet the turn. I like the river raise also.

Demana
12-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Slight thread hijack since there is consensus about the turn 3-bet.

What is Hero's action if the river is a non diamond J or 6?

1. Check &amp; call a bet from the button
2. Bet &amp; call a raise from the button
3. Bet &amp; fold to a raise from the button
4. Check &amp; fold to a bet from button

It seems like a check/call situation, though I could see UTG betting and the button raising, forcing us to face two bets on the river with middle set and a possible straight on the board.

Or the button may just call an UTG bet/raise to get an overcall from us.

I don't see how we could fold even if the button calls in front of us.