PDA

View Full Version : River Checkup

Alexthegreat
12-10-2004, 07:21 AM
2/4 live

No good players at the table, great game.....Dealt AA somewhere in middle position....Manages to get capped 5 ways, but 2 players are all in, so only 3 of us postflop...i'm last to act at this point...

Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to me......I bet.....both call

Turn is A /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to me......I bet.....both call

River is 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to me......I check.....good? bad? ugly?

Just so you know, I don't want to bet and call any raises, and I don't want to bet and fold to any raises either.....Should I want to do any of those things?

Koller
12-10-2004, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Checked to me......I check.....good? bad? ugly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugly.

eagletmr
12-10-2004, 09:13 AM
bet

SBanerjee
12-10-2004, 09:16 AM
raise with the winning hand on the river if it checked to you

Russ McGinley
12-10-2004, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just so you know, I don't want to bet and call any raises, and I don't want to bet and fold to any raises either.....Should I want to do any of those things?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody "enjoys" getting raised when they don't have the nuts. If you get raised on the river, then you call and if someone checked a 6 or (shudder) a flush, then so be it. Don't automatically assume that a scare card just killed you. It's highly probably someone has A8, an overpair, even two pair, T9, etc.

Alexthegreat
12-10-2004, 10:40 AM
I wasn't assuming that my hand was killed, I was thinking that I wasn't prepared to call a check raise.....If I bet and get raised, how often am I good??

It seems to me that almost no hand I beat is going to checkraise me.....

Fat Nicky
12-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Easy bet.

Alexthegreat
12-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks to all the posters who have given me sentence replies, but I don't need to be told to bet the river becuase my hand is awesome

I never have any problems with value betting....I do have problems calling checkraises...I think I do it too much.....So now if I think i'm going to get checkraised, I check.....and I don't get checkraised....consequently I now miss some value bets....I need to find the happy medium, and I want to know if this is a situation where I should bet and call the checkraise, or bet and fold, or just check and see everyone's hand

I guess I failed to explain this fully in my original post...but now that I have, feel free to let me know what I should do, and don't be afraid to give reasons why.....who knows, it may help my game more than the phrase "easy bet"

chesspain
12-10-2004, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I never have any problems with value betting....I do have problems calling checkraises.

[/ QUOTE ]

These two statements are inconsistent. It is called "value" betting for a reason--because in general one makes more money than via checkcalling, despite the built-in risk of having to deal with a raise.

Alexthegreat
12-10-2004, 12:18 PM
I guess I meant..."betting my hand on the river" which is usually where value betting comes in to play, no?

wuwei
12-10-2004, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to all the posters who have given me sentence replies, but I don't need to be told to bet the river becuase my hand is awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the river. Call a raise.

Here's the deal... if you're deciding whether or not to value bet, you need to put your opponents on a range of hands and decide how likely it is that the river card helped them. Without more information about the preflop action, I'm having trouble putting your opponents on hands. All I know is the pot is huge and they've called one bet on the flop and 4th to see the river. A 5-way capped pot preflop means they've got odds to draw at damn near anything.

So all you can really expect is 1 line that says bet the river.

You have a strong hand that can only be beat by a 6, 23, or a club flush. I refuse to miss a value bet because of a runner runner flush here. If they hit it, so be it. So do they have the straight? You'll have to answer that.

One other thing to consider is that even if you're beat, it's possible the person with the winning hand is all-in. So build your side pot and increase your meager winnings from this monstrous pot if that's the case.

SamIAm
12-10-2004, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to all the posters who have given me sentence replies

[/ QUOTE ]That [censored] has always pissed me off, too. I feel your one-sentence pain. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

However, I agree with the terse guys that you should bet the river. If you've got these masterful reads that tell you that calling the check-raise is NEVER worthwhile, then don't do it. But I think I'm willing to pay-off a 6 or pair of clubs here.
-Sam

nebben
12-10-2004, 05:27 PM
check raising happens, but its only one more bet back to you. id bet and call a checkraise, especially from someone whose shown no previous aggression on the hand.

Does this seem like decent logic?

Alexthegreat
12-10-2004, 11:59 PM
What hands are checkraising me here??....A haggard 2 pair would just bet out.....A small set would surely have shown aggression at somepoint before everything got there....

I see that most players think I should be betting, so I will do that next time...

Oh...I ended up being third best...one player had a the straight and the other had a flush....the two players who went all in happened to have KK and QQ...