PDA

View Full Version : All in Reraise in NL Hold'em

Vee Quiva
12-09-2004, 10:57 AM
I got hurt in a NL tournament last night with the following hand. I had K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in middle position. Blinds were 100-200 and I had 1500 left. I was short stack on table. I raised to 500 hoping to win blinds, not minding if I get a caller or two. The button who had me easily covered reraises all in.

Here is my question and I would like to see a math answer. This seems like an incredibly good play because the only hands I can think of calling with are QQ, KK, or AA. Assuming a normal player in my position with regular raising standards in middle position. How profitable is the all in reraise? What percentage of the time should this play work?

I am lousy at EV calculations so I am looking for help.

Here is something to get you started from the card player odds calculator:
KQ vs AA 18% - 82%
AK 30 - 70
AQ 30 - 70
QQ 36 - 64
KK 14 - 86
JJ 46 - 64

A_PLUS
12-09-2004, 03:12 PM
I think you are better off with this post in the MTT section.

This is an EXTREMELY profitable play off someone who will only call with QQ-AA. The showdown % are meaningless.
The only thing that matters is the % of time the initial bettor has QQ-AA vs other raising hands.

You showed examples of hands where it is always profitable to play them (AA, KK, QQ).

I would read TPFAP, the section on No limit has a great blurb about not turning AQ into 72. Basically, why raise with KQs? At best you are out of position with a hand that you aren't sure is good. You fold if you are reraised. So save your raises for hands where you welcome a reraise. One, you are bluffing (72) and happily fold to the reraise. Or you are strong and you play for all of your chips.