PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice on books

Abelardo
12-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Hi,this is my first post on this forum, I'm mainy a online fixed limit player and I've been playing for about a month and a half. Recently I found out about some one-table tournaments in my city, the game is 8-handed NL and the buyin can be as low as $20 and as high as $200, 2nd place only gets his buyin back and the winner takes the rest. I hardly have some experience playing NL but I think these games are very easy to beat, I think I can play OK 8 or 7 handed, but then my game begins to suffer when the game becomes shorthanded because I have almost no experience on that area, I finished 3rd last night in a $100 buyin tourney but I think I lost because of my inexperience SH and not because opponents were though. I want to know which books I should read, what I need is a good NL book with a nice section dealing with shorthanded play, and, if possible, some advice on playing NL with loose-passive opponents, any suggestions?

Abelardo

Marcotte
12-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately, there is no definitive book dedicated to single table tournaments. But Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky is very good and talks about Sattelites (briefly) and playing short-handed (several pages). Hold 'Em for Advanced Players (also by DS) is also a good general HE book, though it deals mostly with limit.

I'd also recommend Brunson's Bible (Poker Super System). It covers Draw, Stud, Razz, Stud Hi/Lo, HE and NLHE. It's a great read, but his advice on suited connectors in NLHE can get you into trouble in SNGs.

Abelardo
12-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Hi, thanks for the advice, I have Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players on its way, I should get it in less than a week but I bought it because I'm playing limit online, I also ordered this one and should arrive along with HEPFAP:

Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker [Paperback]
By: Stewart Reuben, Bob Ciaffone

Is that book good at all? I'm going to order Tournament Poker for Advanced Players and SS, I thought about buying those books before but since I wasn't into tourneys I decided not to. Now that SS2 is comming out I think it should worth a look as well, thank you.

Abelardo