PDA

View Full Version : Protecting my hand in a big pot and an interesting river

sfer
12-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Live 4/8 with bdk3clash on my left and fryking on my right. Fryking has chosen the worst seat at the table, because for the 3rd time in an hour I'm UTG on his BB and I straddle. 3 bad players limp, an erratic gambooler raises in the CO, an aggressive thinking player 4-bets on the Button, blinds fold, and I 5-bet with K /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif, everyone calls.

6 to the flop for 30 SBs. Flop is K96 two crubs, no heart. I check, checked to the button who bets, I checkraise, two bad MPs call, button calls.

4 to the turn for 19 BBs. Turn blanks a non-paint, non-crub. I check again and it checks to the button who thinks and slowly bets. I checkraise again and we lose an MP.

3 to the river for 25 BBs. River blanks a non-paint, non-crub. I check intending to call 1 bet.

Entity
12-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Any consideration to check/calling the flop and checkraising the turn? Doesn't seem like checkraising the flop protects your hand from anything including a bare ace (what doesn't have odds to call getting 31.5:2?).

Rob

James282
12-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Your river play is bad. You need to bet this river and rivers like it.
-James

MRBAA
12-08-2004, 09:14 PM
eh, I don't think check calling this river is a big mistake since I personally have to call if raised here with 28bb in pot (assuming I bet and get raised with no one else in). Normally, I'm in agreement, though.

I'll be at the club Friday night, hope to see you there (but it's fine if you're at a different table).

sfer
12-08-2004, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After thinking a long time about it I agree, although I think we have very different reasons behind it. If he calls, this particular player will always have a better hand.

sfer
12-08-2004, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll be at the club Friday night, hope to see you there (but it's fine if you're at a different table).

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like an invitation. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Evan
12-08-2004, 09:21 PM
I hate it. I think you'll freeze up a lot of better hands with a bet here due to the aggression you've shown and I can't see a worse hand that got this far folding.

I'm putting the button on AK but I can't see him raising and you're calling anyway so I don't uderstand the check.

James282
12-08-2004, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After thinking a long time about it I agree, although I think we have very different reasons behind it. If he calls, this particular player will always have a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are against 2 players on the river.
-James

MRBAA
12-09-2004, 01:47 PM
You Brad and Chris are + EV for poker sociability, -EV for actual play. Hence, the optimal situation is to have you in the club but at a different table.

sfer
12-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Brad is +ev generally. His naturally goofy demeanor has a remarkable ability to tilt several regulars.

sfer
12-09-2004, 02:08 PM
The river checked through. I didn't bet because the button will only call a river bet with AK/AA. But I think he might fold AK if MP calls in front of him, so I think betting is worthwhile.

Anyway, I showed and they both mucked so the button probably had QQ.

James282
12-09-2004, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The river checked through. I didn't bet because the button will only call a river bet with AK/AA. But I think he might fold AK if MP calls in front of him, so I think betting is worthwhile.

Anyway, I showed and they both mucked so the button probably had QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey sfer, so if the player between might call with some miscellaneous crap, but the button will fold if you have him beat, and usuakly call if he beats you, you still have a bet. Basically, we are only concerned with mp3 in this hand. If he calls, and we beat 50% of the hands that he will call with, this is a profitable river bet. If the button will ever call with a hand you beat it's even better, and I'm confused as to how he would get to the river with hands you beat but not call the river unimproved in such a huge pot.

sfer
12-09-2004, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the button will ever call with a hand you beat it's even better, and I'm confused as to how he would get to the river with hands you beat but not call the river unimproved in such a huge pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

He, like many players at this particular club, are way to concerned with saving bets on the river. Like me on this hand.

James282
12-09-2004, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the button will ever call with a hand you beat it's even better, and I'm confused as to how he would get to the river with hands you beat but not call the river unimproved in such a huge pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

He, like many players at this particular club, are way to concerned with saving bets on the river. Like me on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif
-James

BottlesOf
12-09-2004, 07:35 PM
This was my thought after reading the hand. Any comment Dave?

Joe Tall
12-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Tell me you check-raised the river, tell me you did!

Peacers,
Joe E. Talls

Entity
12-09-2004, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tell me you check-raised the river, tell me you did!

Peacers,
Joe E. Talls

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't see Button betting anything on that river after the crazy aggression sfer showed.

I'm still wondering about the check/call, check/raise, bet line here sfer. Not much protection in checkraising the flop, neh? Or is there something I'm missing?

Rob

BottlesOf
12-09-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm with ya entity! He's playing live, so we're gonna have to wait a while before we hear. But the more I think about it, I think I like his line.

Unless we decide that getting just one bet on the flop and two on the turn substantially raises our chances of winning as opposed to c/ring both streets, I doubt the value given up on the flop is worthwhile. I think that despite building up the pot a little more, the difference is a small percentage of the total pot, so we aren't tying people to the pot post-turn who would otherwise have folded. I also think that showing a ton of aggression by c/raising two streets makes it more likely we'll fold people out on the turn.

private joker
12-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Not only do I like the flop and turn line, but I like the river check here too. I really can't see a better hand folding getting 26:1. Would AK fold? I doubt it, as he'd hope Hero missed his draw or was going to chop with another AK (or beating KQ, as the case would be). Would 2 pair fold? Not getting 26:1. Would AA fold? Nope, not even if there was an overcall on which he was getting 27:1.