PDA

View Full Version : The Trump Classic $300 +$40 No limit event...final table report

Mike Gallo
12-08-2004, 02:26 AM
I decided I would play in a few of the tournaments this December at the Taj Mahal. With the exposure poker tournaments have gained through the media it seems everyone wants to play in a poker tournament.

I played at the $500 Borgata poker open limit event this past September and finished 28th, right on the bubble.

I play the weekly Trop Sunday $100 + $20 event. Playing in that tournament keeps my game sharp.

I decided to play in todays $300 event to see if my game has improved. I have aspirations of becoming a winning tournament player and wanted to take the first step.

I kept very detailed notes except for when we got down to 10 handed. We played 5 handed at each table and I did not have time to write notes.

The tournament starts at 11:00 am on the nose. My table did not start until 11:15. I drew the button with the A /images/graemlins/club.gif good start.

The blinds started at T5-T15. Everyone starts with T1000 no add ons and no rebuys.

I get 88 in middle position and I raised to 50. One player folded the next player raised to T200. A few folds to the button who goes all in. I folded, the player who reraised folded and the all in proudly showed his Aces. I have T950, not how I would have liked to have started the day.

I limped with KJ off after 3 players from the button. The sb folds and the bb checks.

Flop Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB bets 50 one player called and I also called. Turn brings a 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. BB checks next to act checks, I bet T300 and I take it down uncontested. I might have bet too much there. I thought he would call with his Queen.

I picked up KQ off suit on the cutoff after 4 limpers. I also limped. Flop came K /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet T50 the next player to act raised to T200 everyone folded and I called. An offsuit brick hit the turn. I bet T500 and my opponent called. Another offsuit brick hit the river and I tapped. My opponent took about 5 minutes and finally folded K /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif face up.

Where did this come from?

A short stack raised an additional T160 to go all in. I had A9 off and reraised. Everyone folded and we turned them over. He had QQ, and I decided I made the the wrong read. I flopped a 9 and turned an Ace. He did not improve. I liked the reraise to isolate, and I really liked getting lucky. I put him on a lot less of a hand.

The rush continues

I now pick up AQ suited from the button and I raise to T50. The big blind calls. Heads up.

Flop comes A 8 2 big blinds checks, I bet T120 and he goes all in for an additional T400. I call and he showed A4. He did not improve. I did not need to.

Second Level T2500 in chips

The blinds went up to T15-T25. I started the level with T2500 chips. I had more than double my initial buy in. The table had a nice chatty nature about it. We lost several players in the first round. I knocked out two myself. The table broke and I moved to table 47 seat 8. I had an above average stack. I had three very aggressive players to my immediate left.

At the end of hour one I wrote this...I feel very good, very sharp. Keep playing smart. I like to do things like this to motivate myself. People did comment on the notebook at throughout the tournament.

I did not play a hand worth interest in the second level. I ended the level with T2400.

Level 3 T2400

I started level 3 with T2400 in chips. The blinds went up to T25-T50. Nobody has said a word to one another at this table. We had no chatter no commentating nothing. Very low key table.

I got a 10 minute penalty for this

On to the hand that I had to serve a 10 minute timeout for. I get QQ and raise to T200. Two players call. Flop comes J /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Checked to me, I go all in and the next player calls. The next player to act goes to muck his cards and as he does this I turn mine over. I go on to win the hand, however since I exposed my hand before the other players hand reached the muck. I violated the rules. Since I closed the player closed action, the floor did not declare my hand dead. This did upset me. I called poster/lurker Fred G Sanford, and he did not understand the rule either. Who does it hurt?

Two hours into the tournament I have T5275

At 1:05 we got down to 108 players. I had T5275 and I felt good. A little annoyed with having to sit out, however I had chips. We get a 10 minute break and I grab something to eat and make some calls.

Level 4 T5225

I started round 5 with T5225 in chips. I have busted one of the aggressive players to act after me. The other one someone else busted out.

I got my mojo working

I pick up 88 and raise to T300 preflop. One player calls. Flop comes 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5club: I bet T500 and my opponent calls. The turn pairs the 8. I bet T500 my opponent raised me all in and I called. He had A 10 and could not improve.

See saw battle

A short stack went all in with T250. I called with JJ. The player had 22.

Flop Q74 Turn a deuce the river a hook. He sucked out I resucked out.

Level 5

Blinds went up to T75-T150. I had T7675. We had 84 players left. I got moved to table 44 seat 1. At this point we got down to 61 players.

Quads twice in the same tournament

I limped UTG with 55. One fold and then the next player to act raised to T600. Everyone folded and I called. Flop came 5 2 7. I checked and called his T600 bet. Turn paired the 5 and I bet T600. He went all in and I called. He never showed his hand. He just stormed away from the table.

I had T9700 at the end of this level.

I will continue to tomorrow. I look forward to any feedback or questions.

Thanks.

toss
12-08-2004, 06:28 AM
Nice report, I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the story. And what a dumb ruling that was.

PokerPaul
12-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Nice going...

looking forward to the next chapter....

i must say though, i have yet to experience such a rush of cards in a big field live tounrney like that....almost sounds like the cards play them self....at least the few hands you described.

Now don't make me wait......where the rest of story

ElSapo
12-08-2004, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He did not improve. I did not need to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike,

Nice report, congrats on playing well. I loved that line (and they "could not improve" line).

ElSapo

Victor
12-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Mike,

Why did you lead the turn in the quad fives hand?

AceHigh
12-08-2004, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got a 10 minute penalty for this ...

Who does it hurt?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that it hurts anyone, but quirky rules like this are common in live tournaments. Since I play mostly online, when I do play live I won't turn over my cards until the dealer tells me to turn them over.

mmbt0ne
12-08-2004, 02:04 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I picked up KQ off suit on the cutoff after 4 limpers. I also limped. Flop came K /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet T50 the next player to act raised to T200 everyone folded and I called. An offsuit brick hit the turn. I bet T500 and my opponent called. Another offsuit brick hit the river and I tapped. My opponent took about 5 minutes and finally folded K /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif face up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to sound like an ass, but was the flop a K/images/graemlins/heart.gif or did you opponent have it? Just interested in the hand.

BottlesOf
12-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Very cool Mike. I'm really looking forward to chapter 2, and to seeing you in AC some time soon.

Rushmore
12-08-2004, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mike,

Why did you lead the turn in the quad fives hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a reasonable question. One answer might be that many players with overcards only will call this bet but check behind. Another might be that he had a read on the guy, and put him firmly on overcards, which he figured would be jacking up the turn, which is the best of all possible worlds.

I also asked myself about limping utg with fives, to be honest. I have been at plenty of tables where this is a mistake. Do I really want to play 55 from out of position against a preflop raiser? I like 'em in the muck best, usually, unless I'm weilding a big stack and terrifying all of my cowering opponents, who can be counted on to limp all the way around.

Which means I'm mucking 'em, most the time. Tight? Yes. Weak-tight? I don't think so.

Mike Gallo
12-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Toss,

Thanks.

My opponent had hoped he could win the hand on a technicality.

Mike Gallo
12-08-2004, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to sound like an ass, but was the flop a K/images/graemlins/heart.gif or did you opponent have it? Just interested in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That what I get for posting at 2:00 am after a few drinks. I stand corrected Flop came K /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mike Gallo
12-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Double P,

The second part became more of a game of survival.

I do agree, I did get the cards and more importantly I had players that I could bust play against me.

I set up a plan to stay away from the big stacks and to stay away from players I felt could "outplay" me. I decided to stay away from close gambles early on. Luckily I built a nice sized stack.

Mike Gallo
12-08-2004, 09:36 PM
El Sapo,

Thanks for the kind words.

Mike Gallo
12-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Victor,

I almost bet the flop.

I do not agree with slow playing in a no limit tourney. I would rather bet and face a raise then check and have him make a small bet, and have to check raise.

This player played pretty aggressively, I felt he would raise me all in, but not commit to the pot with a bet.

He called so quick, I thought I should have just bet all in instead.

As a rule, I do not like slow playing in tournaments. Not in the middle stages.

Mike Gallo
12-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Another might be that he had a read on the guy, and put him firmly on overcards, which he figured would be jacking up the turn, which is the best of all possible worlds.

He had a big pair. I think either Aces or Kings. I showed first, he mucked and stormed away. We will never know.

Do I really want to play 55 from out of position against a preflop raiser? I like 'em in the muck best, usually, unless I'm weilding a big stack and terrifying all of my cowering opponents, who can be counted on to limp all the way around.

I had T8500 in chips. The blinds were T75-T150. My opponent raised to T600. I already commited T150 so I would pay T450 to get his remaining T2500 if I flopped a set. The call represented a little less than 6 percent of my stack. I could afford to call and fold if I missed. I think he made too small of a raise against a big stack. I like the 4x the big blind raise, however not against someone who limps.

Which means I'm mucking 'em, most the time.

When I have an average or slightly below average stack I would fold. If I had a short stack, I would consider going all in. When I have a large stack, I will loosen up the hands that can bust someone.

Mike Gallo
12-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Chris,

You will.

Mike Gallo
12-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Since I play mostly online, when I do play live I won't turn over my cards until the dealer tells me to turn them over.

What I did for the rest of the tournament.

Rushmore
12-08-2004, 11:53 PM
You and I agree, it seems.

I didn't realize til you quoted my post, but I meant to say "firmly on an overpair," not "firmly on overcards," which he figured would be jacking up the turn.

Further evidence that we are in agreement.

Ultimately, I think my only dissent would be with the notion that the limp utg with 55 is ok because of the implied odds (you might "get his remaining T2500"). The problem is that there are eight other "hims" to wade through, and you're not sure which "him" is gonna be raising, etc.

But with your stack size and the blinds at 75/150, I can't call it a mistake. Prolly more a matter of style than anything else.

Look forward to the rest of the report.

Mike Gallo
12-09-2004, 01:37 AM
I posted this pretty late last night and I now have time to decipher all of the small details. I should have gotten a good nights sleep.

I considered this a tale of two tournaments. The first 5 levels I busted 6 players and had many things go my way.

Level 6

I did not play a hand worth writing about during round 6. We started the level with 43 players. I had T9700 to start level 6. The blinds were T100-T200 with a 25 ante.

I ended the round with T9100 and we dropped to 38 players. At this point of the tournament,I went card dead. Thanks to my big stack. I could coast at this level and watch the short stacks knock each other out. I had 2 larger stacks at this table and both sat to my right. They beat me to the pot almost every time. I stole the blinds and antes twice with a preflop raise.

I watched and made a note of players mistakes and betting tendencies. I did not fear any of the player at this current table.

Level 7
The blinds went up to T150 T300 with a T50 ante.

During the middle of level 7 I moved again, this time to table 42 seat 1. Now I would have to play my best game. I moved to a seat with three players whose play I respect and consider solid players. The players I did not know had much larger stacks then mine. I moved to this table with T8425.

First hand at the table

The first hand I get dealt at this table goes like this. The first player to act raises to T1200. This player has the chip lead at the time. He had about T20,000. The next player to ace goes all in. He had about T10,000. Action to me and I look down and see JJ.

As a side note, I encountered a similiar scenario the following weekend at the Trop no limit event. I went all in with the Jacks and faced Queens and AK. I lost to AK.

I thought about it for about 45 seconds and I...folded.
UTG called with AK suited, the all in guy flipped QQ and lost to a river King. I learned from a previous hand. I decided to stay away from close gambles. I did not want to go out 27th.

Heads up against a tough AC regular

It doesnt count as much of a hand, however its the only one I can post. I complete with A8 off from the small blind. The big blind checks. The big blind has placed in many of the local tournament. I usually always see him at the final tables in the larger buy in events. Flop comes Q 10 8. I bet out with T700. He folds 10 4 face up and says "nice hand". I mucked without showing him. I did not want to give anything away.

I did not play a hand past the turn in this level. I had AJ suited utg and raised to T1000. A player in the big blind called. Flop came low cards. He checked to me amd I checked behind. On the turn the board looked even worse. He checked, and I bet T2500. He folded.

Level 8

T200-T400 blinds T75 ante. Down to 21 players. My stack has remained steadily just under T10k. I have raised and stolen just enough blinds to stay away from becoming the short stack.

Abandoning a pocket pair

I open raise to T2K with 88. It gets folded to Rick. Rick won the AK hand when I had Jacks. Rick reraised me all in. A medium sized stack called and I insta fold. Rick had 99 and the all in had AQ suited. All in did not improve, Rick took down a nice pot, more importantly we just got down to 19 players.

All in with KK

I went all in with KK and did not get one caller.

All in with QQ

Rick open raised to T1600 the next player to act called and I went all in with QQ. Rick insta folded the caller took a long time. After a few minutes I asked the table if the suspense was driving killing them. Those of you who know me can appreciate this. Finally he folded AJ suited face up and said take it down.

Level 9

The blinds have increased to T300-T600 antes have gone up to T100. I had just over T10000. We got down to 18 players at this point. We would play out this level and go for a dinner break.

I headed to dinner with T11,125. We drew for new seats, and went to dinner.

During the dinner break, I ate some dinner and attempted to relax.

Level 10

When we got back from break I had seat 9. The blinds increased to T600-T1200 with a T200 ante.

I didnt really mean to raise

At this point of the tournament the short stacks started going all in with very little. A player on the button went all in for T4500. I looked down at AA in the small blind and raised all in. The bb folded and I turned over my Aces. The all in player said in a very sheepish voice " I didnt really mean to raise" and turned over Q 10. I turned a set and rivered a boat. A little overkill, however we got down to 10 players.

Level 11 a bad time to go card dead

The antes went up to T200 and the blinds went to T1600. I picked this time to go card dead. I blinded and anted myself down to 6000. I survived to make it the final table of 9.

Final Table

I drew seat 4. The first hand we lost a player. He had many more chips then me.

My swan song

The button raised me all in for my big blind and I looked down at A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I called and lost to KJ off. He flopped K22 and hit a King on the turn.

When all the smoke cleared I left winning $1,134. Not bad for a days work.

Thanks to everyone who read this.

Evan
12-09-2004, 02:41 AM
Mike,

Great report. Glad to see you did well. I don't play NL or tournaments much so I have no strategic comments.

I'm gonna be heading down to AC in the next couple weeks so I'll PM you and hopefully we can meet up again.

Glad to see you're posting more now too.

beernutz
12-09-2004, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Quads twice in the same tournament

I limped UTG with 55. One fold and then the next player to act raised to T600. Everyone folded and I called. Flop came 5 2 7. I checked and called his T600 bet. Turn paired the 5 and I bet T600. He went all in and I called. He never showed his hand. He just stormed away from the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you say 'presto' when you tabled the 5's?

Nice report.

Mike Gallo
12-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Did you say 'presto' when you tabled the 5's?

No. I just flipped them over.

Thanks.

Mike Gallo
12-09-2004, 09:35 AM
I'm gonna be heading down to AC in the next couple weeks so I'll PM you and hopefully we can meet up again.

Sounds like a plan. The day I saw you at the Trop I ended my tournament with Jacks against Kings.

Glad to see you're posting more now too.

Thanks.

Tyler Durden
12-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Hey Mike, good job making the final table! Hope to see you in AC soon.

theBruiser500
12-09-2004, 02:39 PM
"I look forward to any feedback or questions."

Okay here is some feedback person with over 4,000 posts. Wrong forum.

Homer
12-09-2004, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I look forward to any feedback or questions."

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, no. This is poker gossip, it belongs right here.

Nice playing MG...

ActionBob
12-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Nice job Mike and good report. I'm heading down in a few hours for the Friday and Saturday tournament. Hope to see you around this weekend.

-ActionBob

Mike Gallo
12-09-2004, 09:51 PM

Hi Mr Bruiser,

I think it fits News, Views, and Gossip splendidly. I will explain to you how.

Websters defines news as 1 a : a report of recent events b : previously unknown information &lt;I've got news for you&gt; You might disagree, however I would say this post would qualify as a report of recent events.

Ok, I have one of my bases covered Mr Bruiser, now lets look up Gossip.

Webster defines gossip as a : rumor or report of an intimate nature b : a chatty talk c : the subject matter of gossip

I consider a poker tournament something intimate, however people have called me kinky in the past. I thinking bragging that I placed in a tournament falls under chatty talk. Ok, this falls under gossip Mr Bruiser.

Ok, now lets look up the word views.

2 a : a mode or manner of looking at or regarding something b : an opinion or judgment colored by the feeling or bias of its holder &lt;in my view the conference has no chance of success&gt;

I would day I have views covered also.

In conclusion I have shown you without a doubt that this fits in this forum. See that someone with 4,000 posts knows a little something about life as well as poker. Hopefully you will get the lesson.

From the sentence, person with over 4,000 posts. Do I detect post envy or did someone piss in your Cheerios today. Whatever the reason, I accept your apology in advance. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Mike Gallo
12-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Ultimately, I think my only dissent would be with the notion that the limp utg with 55 is ok because of the implied odds (you might "get his remaining T2500"). The problem is that there are eight other "hims" to wade through, and you're not sure which "him" is gonna be raising, etc.

The bigger stacks, had a semi collusion going on. The big stacks all avoided each other. If I limped and one of the bigger stacks raised, I would certainly fold, however they knew I could also have limped with a big hand to entice them to do that.

Prolly more a matter of style than anything else.

Excellent point. I played my style of game. I loosened up with certain hands because of the table dynamic. I also loosened up because I did not mind taking a small gamble early on. I might not get the chance later on. I knew a set would bust someone. I got lucky and someone paid me the right price. I got luckier that I got to see a flop, then what I saw on the flop.

Look forward to the rest of the report.

I put it out there.

Mike Gallo
12-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Bob,

You might see me Friday night if you don't go to the Borgata. I want to play a satellite Friday for the $500+50 on Saturday.

Joe Tall
12-10-2004, 03:22 AM
Hey Mike,

Excellent story and a job well done. Congrats.

Peace,
Joe Tall

theBruiser500
12-10-2004, 06:33 AM
you can argue semantics if you want but the fact is you are wrong. there is too much real content and discussion of actual hands for it to be in this forum. btw, please keep calling me "mr. bruiser," and everyone else address me like that too, classy.

theBruiser500
12-10-2004, 06:39 AM
even though you are wrong gallo, your long response makes me feeled compelled to give you some real feedback:

KJ hand, raise the flop. you represent a much weaker hand this way than by raising turn, so many cards kill your action (or even allow people to outdraw you)

KQ, well played, i like your stop and go.

A9 is a weak hand to be isolating with. not a big favorite against many hands.

James282
12-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Hey Mike, great report. Let's make it a point to meet up again soon. Congrats.
-James

Mike Gallo
12-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Hey Mike, great report. Let's make it a point to meet up again soon. Congrats.

Thanks. A bunch of guys have planned to come to the Borgata this week. Shoot me a pm and I will give you some details.

The Borgata did not have a lot of players last night. I think it had to do with the tournaments at the Taj.

nothumb
12-12-2004, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
During the dinner break, I ate some dinner and attempted to relax.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I thought this was really funny. I'm glad you didn't eat some breakfast, or some bird poop, or anything like that.

I enjoyed your posts a lot, glad you're back in action.

NT

Mike Gallo
12-12-2004, 12:19 PM
I enjoyed your posts a lot, glad you're back in action.

Thanks.

I'm glad you didn't eat some breakfast, or some bird poop, or anything like that.

Well, I ...usually have a difficult time eating during times of stress and anxiety. I have a "nervous' stomach so to speak. In other words, sometimes I have a difficult time keeping the food in my system.

If I do not heave before a tournament, it isnt a big enough tournament /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

sublime
12-13-2004, 06:35 PM
hey mike-

i have finally gotten around to reading this thread.

nice showing my friend, nice showing /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ps
you should work on you note taking skills /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BottlesOf
12-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Hey Mike, good stuff. I'm lookin forward to this weekend.