PDA

View Full Version : How much do you tip the pizza delivery guy?

theantelope
12-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Please choose from only one of the below polls. If you tip based on percentage, then obviously you shouldn't pick from the absolute dollar amount category. And vice-versa. Sweet.

Randy_Refeld
12-05-2004, 10:17 PM
When there is a delivery charge how does this figure into the tip. When there is a delivery charge I subtract it dircetly from the tip, but maybe I am unreasonable.

RR

theantelope
12-05-2004, 10:17 PM
I have never paid a delivery charge in my life. Nor do I believe I've ever seen a place that charges one. Where do you live?

Alobar
12-05-2004, 10:47 PM
some places charge for delivery. I used to work at a pizza hut that charged a dollar

Cerril
12-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Papa John's has a delivery charge but I didn't realize it until I'd been ordering from there for a long time. Around here that's the only place unless you use one of the variety of restaurant delivery services.

I'll drop around $2, rounded up to the nearest dollar. I'll usually tack that on to the delivery charge, since the delivery guy obviously isn't getting paid more because of the charge. But tips and charges have given me incentive to look for close places that have special deals for pickup orders.

Randy_Refeld
12-05-2004, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to work at a pizza hut that charged a dollar

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the guy delivering the pizza get any of that or does the pizza place pocket it?

RR

CWsports
12-05-2004, 11:24 PM
I did the Dominos 555 deal today. I got 3 medium 1 topping pizzas for $15. With tax they came to $16.24 and I wrote the check out for an even $18.

theantelope
12-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Damn. So I have payed a delivery fee. Stupid Papa John's and their stupid hidden delivery fee making me look stupid. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Rob Blackburn
12-06-2004, 12:18 AM
As a former member of the pizza delivery fraternity, I tend to over tip.

When I did this in the ATL I delivered for two diff. mom and pop pizzeria, one in a high rent area one a more middle class area, the people in the middle class area tipped better overall and were much nicer.

I always knew who were reg. good tippers and I always del. the fastest to them even if they had 10 in front of them.

Biggest tip ever: $100
I got stiffed alot, one time a $700 delivery.
I have a million funny stories from delivering, I think everyone should do it for awhile just to see how it is.

jasonHoldEm
12-06-2004, 12:21 AM
I'm a former pizza boy, although I didn't work at a store that had a fee, I'm 99% sure they get paid the delivery fee as their gas money. The store I worked at (dominos) actually paid us a comission based on the value of the pizza we delivered, so I got 7% of the check (from the store as "gas money") + whatever the customer gave me for tip.

I feel the most important factor on tipping is how far away you live from the store (in regard to driving time) and the secondary factor should be how quickly it got there (which the driver can't always control). A buck + the change is acceptable, if you live in the middle of nowhere you should give another dollar.

J

jasonHoldEm
12-06-2004, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a million funny stories from delivering

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a "hot mom" answer the door dripping wet in a towel (that sounds bad /images/graemlins/blush.gif ). Also I got offered bong hits regularly at the college in town. It really was a fun job.

J

Rob Blackburn
12-06-2004, 12:41 AM
I got many a hot chick/wife answering doors in questionable attire, as well as the full gamut of illegal substance offerings.

I never got held up, but I did get in a assulted/fight with a customer who was pissed I didn't bring his 2-liter of Coke.

I agree 100% though the job was fun as hell, for a part-time thing.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-06-2004, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I got many a hot chick/wife answering doors in questionable attire, as well as the full gamut of illegal substance offerings.

I never got held up, but I did get in a assulted/fight with a customer who was pissed I didn't bring his 2-liter of Coke.

I agree 100% though the job was fun as hell, for a part-time thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto except for the fight. I avgd about 17$/hr working at dominoes. not bad for a crappy job....

worked there for a year, still cant spell their name......

JustSomeJackass
12-06-2004, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I did this in the ATL I delivered for two diff. mom and pop pizzeria, one in a high rent area one a more middle class area, the people in the middle class area tipped better overall and were much nicer

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I experienced the same thing delivering in Ohio.

No freshly showered women for me...but we did set an over/under some nights on how many shirtless fat guys would answer the door. (Unfortunately, if the number was 3 or less then it would usually go over) Dude, you are already too lazy to even leave the house to feed your family, at least have the decency to throw a shirt on for chrissakes.

While working for Domino's, I had a guy bust my passenger window one night to steal a "pizza" from my front seat while I was out of the car making a delivery. Unfortunately for him, all he got was the empty bag from my last delivery. Damn, I would have bought him a pizza for not breaking the window. I gave up delivering shortly after.

I averaged about $16 an hour if I remember right. It was the perfect job for me. I would get cash tips, which I would use to spend on my girlfriend, on gas, food, and poker, sports betting and the racetrack. If I lost it all, I still got a paycheck, and had no bills, so life was good.

Rob Blackburn
12-06-2004, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I averaged about $16 an hour if I remember right. It was the perfect job for me. I would get cash tips, which I would use to spend on my girlfriend, on gas, food, and poker, sports betting and the racetrack. If I lost it all, I still got a paycheck, and had no bills, so life was good.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the second place I was probably avg. $15 and hour.

The first place that was in the high rent area was just opening. I was their first delivery guy and it was their first business, they didn't have any clue how to pay me.

When I started they asked me if $10 and hour plus tips was cool, I was like hell yeah!

At first it was real slow and so it was maybe 12 and hour at best for first two months, when it started really getting busy I was avg. $45+ and hour on Fri. and Sat.(I only worked Thur-Sun.).

About a year and a half into it one of the owners went to one of those damn pizza conventions in Vegas and found out that I was grossly overpaid(no sh*t sherlock), came back an re-negotiated my deal(i.e. told me I would get gas/mileage and tips only from now on or I could hit the bricks).

Pretty good while it lasted.

Duke
12-06-2004, 02:37 AM
I'd like to map generosity to win rates.

~D

Alobar
12-06-2004, 05:14 AM
yeah, its def a cool job. I avged about $20/hr at pizza hut. Seen several naked women, had 2 offers for sex (didnt take either), and I dont think I ever delivered on a fri/sat night were I wasn't either tipped in xanex pills or offered some illegal substance

NLSoldier
12-06-2004, 05:29 AM
I ordered pizza tonight and it was $25 bucks just for me....1 large deep dish and an order of chicken kickers, yum! I tipped him 2 bucks and there was a 1.50 delivery fee. I was gonna tip $4 till he rolled up with a cigar in his mouth. I'm not a big fan of smoking (tobacco) and did not want MY money going toward his habit /images/graemlins/tongue.gif So I discretely removed two of the one dollar bills from the wad before I handed it to him.

On a related note, I realized tonight that ordering pizza, even when its $25 bucks for me alone, is +EV. Do you see why?

jakethebake
12-06-2004, 10:35 AM
I tip $1+whatever coin change there is after my order.

ChristinaB
12-06-2004, 11:43 AM
If you are a regular customer, doesn't the possibility of human fluids finding their way into future pizzas affect your tip policy?

jakethebake
12-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Papa John's also takes a $1.00 delivery charge here. I think my tip's very reasonable. What do you tip?

dmk
12-06-2004, 12:37 PM
i like even numbers, so for example last night we got the 3 for 15 from dominos, w/ tax = 16-something, i give 20.

AncientPC
12-06-2004, 02:42 PM
I double tax, round up to the nearest dollar so it's like around 16-20% for me.

NoChance
12-06-2004, 02:53 PM
I delivered for Dominos and Pizza Hut both. I had the same experiences with seeing naked people and all that too.

Biggest Tip: around $25
Average Tip: $1 plus the change rounded up to the next dollar
Most Interesting Tip: A guy gave the very last of the money he had on me. Even the last couple dollars was in coin (pennies and all). He felt so bad that he didn't have any money to tip me that he gave he his jacknife.

ps. I did end up going back to a party once after completeing a shift. College people love it when the Dominos guy slams a beer!

Rob Blackburn
12-06-2004, 04:46 PM
My area wasn't students so I never got the invite back to parties.

One of the funniest things I ever saw as a undergrad was with a pizza del. kid, he delivered to a party we were having at my friends house, our collection was barely enough to pay for the pizza much less a tip.

We had him hang out telling him the next person/group that showed up and bought a cup to drink off the keg would be his tip, so he was going to get at least $5 bucks.

He hungout for about 10 minutes, took about 4 bong rips, drank 2-3 beers, and even ate some of the pizza.
A group of 4 came in and bought cups we gave him the $20 bucks.

As we all stand int he yard huddling around the keg, we gave him high-5's and he jumps into his car. He decided to show off and pulla wheel in his Sentra, takes out 4 mail boxes and a garbage can side swipes our neighbors car hauling ass out of there.

Undergrad, those were the days.

Benal
12-06-2004, 05:08 PM
I'd say my average tip is approx $5 on a $25-$30 order.

jimymat
12-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Always tip big. Unless the service was horrible 30% plus is the way to go if you plan on using the service again or going back to the restaurant. They love seeing us ( wife and friends ) come into a joint. The service we get is unbelievable due to the fact that were known as big tippers.
We went out a couple of weekends ago with four other couples. Our bill at the end of the night, just food and appetizers was around 375 dollars. The waiter got a 150 dollar tip. The owner ended up buying all of our drinks and dessert, no charge because of the business we bring in. Tipping big pays off down the road with the extra service you get. Living in KC there is nothing else to spend your money on anyway.