PDA

View Full Version : How spicy can you eat?

Lawrence Ng
12-02-2004, 10:33 AM
I am a big fan of spicy foods. The spiciest dish I ever ate was when an East Indian neighbor gave us some yellow curry chicken. After 2 bites, I couldn't taste anything for the next 2 hours.

I don't fancy tobasco sauce because the vinegar content is too high and upsets my stomach. But give any chili, pepper and I will scarf it down. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lawrence

Popinjay
12-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Having an ulcer sucks.

Topflight
12-02-2004, 10:49 AM
wasabi snooooooters

elwoodblues
12-02-2004, 10:49 AM
I can tollerate pretty spicy food, but there are some asian spicy that just kills me. Spice for spice sake doesn't do anything for me. If the spice adds something positive to the dish (other than just hot for hot sake) then I like it.

namknils
12-02-2004, 11:05 AM
I hate spicy food, so "not very at all". I don't even like hot wings.

maryfield48
12-02-2004, 11:07 AM
http://www.batnet.com/rwc-seed/scotch.bonnet.yellow.JPG

I've got a Scotch Bonnet plant in my front yard. I always have a few peppers in a bowl in the kitchen and have a piece with whatever I'm eating for dinner. A friend of my Dad's used to cut them up into a pepper sandwich.

Iceman
12-02-2004, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am a big fan of spicy foods. The spiciest dish I ever ate was when an East Indian neighbor gave us some yellow curry chicken. After 2 bites, I couldn't taste anything for the next 2 hours.

I don't fancy tobasco sauce because the vinegar content is too high and upsets my stomach. But give any chili, pepper and I will scarf it down. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to a Cambodian restaurant once where the staff messed up our order and brought us a salad soaked in one inch of chili oil. I was still thirsty 24 hours later.

ethan
12-02-2004, 11:46 AM
A friend of mine only recently stopped wearing a vial of crushed habanero peppers on a necklace. He's a regular at his local Thai restaurant, and when he walks in all the chefs look up and yell "Mister Spicy!!!!!!" because he'd made it clear that they couldn't make food he wouldn't want spicier. His kitchen has somewhere near a dozen gallon jars of various dried hot peppers, all from the garden in his backyard. He'd win this contest, hands down. Unless my cousin entered, in which case I think they'd end up in a draw. Really, once someone doesn't have trouble eating habaneros, I'm not sure how to up the ante to break that tie.

I'm not quite that hardcore, but spicy food rules. I do like the sort of vindaloo that's "take a bite, wait five minutes, take another bite", but I'll generally go for something a bit more mild...at most ethnic restaurants the "spicy - for you pansy-ass americans" level of hotness is about right.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2004, 12:01 PM
pretty spicy, but if you can't eat Tobasco sauce, you really are a pussy.

FWIW, the spiciest(I suppose you could call it that) thing I ever had was fresh horseradisch sauce with a prime rib. That [censored] will make your nostrils burn and your eyes water.

elwoodblues
12-02-2004, 12:05 PM
We bought this asian oil called "chinese fire water" one time to make a stir fry. We put a little in the wok and the smoke/fragrances alone from the oil caused everyone in the room to tear up. That stuff was unbelievably hot.

Diplomat
12-02-2004, 12:17 PM
I can go pretty hot, but the question though is more about taste for me. Anyone can make something insanely hot; not that many can make something insanely hot and taste great.

The hottest I ever had was home-made lamb vindaloo; the sauce was basically smashed and chopped peppers and a drop of yoghurt.

-Diplomat

ethan
12-02-2004, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, the spiciest(I suppose you could call it that) thing I ever had was fresh horseradisch sauce with a prime rib. That [censored] will make your nostrils burn and your eyes water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Wow...I love that stuff. Still doesn't compare to a bunch of the Thai/Indian/etc I've encountered, though.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2004, 12:29 PM
dude, I like it too, and I am not sure if Spicy is the right word for it, but nothing kills me more than fresh horseradish sauce.

nolanfan34
12-02-2004, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Really, once someone doesn't have trouble eating habaneros, I'm not sure how to up the ante to break that tie.

[/ QUOTE ]

My brother would probably end up in a tie then as well. He's a chef, and used to work at an upscale southern Mexican restaurant in Portland. He became the de facto pepper taster there, checking the hotness of the peppers when they'd come in. I don't know how he has any taste buds anymore...

M2d
12-02-2004, 12:50 PM
I usually like spicy but not over the top like some others on this thread. My first time eating Thai food, the group ordered some curry. It had a nice little kick to it. then, I spotted a couple of bell pepper chunks in my bowl, so I speared about four or five of them with my fork and popped them in my mouth. except they weren't bell peppers.
Nothing like some freaky hot asian pepper when you're expecting a bell pepper.

ethan
12-02-2004, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Really, once someone doesn't have trouble eating habaneros, I'm not sure how to up the ante to break that tie.

[/ QUOTE ]

My brother would probably end up in a tie then as well. He's a chef, and used to work at an upscale southern Mexican restaurant in Portland. He became the de facto pepper taster there, checking the hotness of the peppers when they'd come in. I don't know how he has any taste buds anymore...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. My aforementioned cousin is a chef too. I just don't get it. I try to go through spicy food, but they just shrug off food I see as Instant Painful Doom.

Mano
12-02-2004, 01:36 PM
I don't fancy tobasco sauce because the vinegar content is too high and upsets my stomach. But give any chili, pepper and I will scarf it down.

If you want a VERY spicy hot sauce without the vinegar, try Dave's Insanity sauce - hottest hot sauce I have tried by far.

ethan
12-02-2004, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't fancy tobasco sauce because the vinegar content is too high and upsets my stomach. But give any chili, pepper and I will scarf it down.

If you want a VERY spicy hot sauce without the vinegar, try Dave's Insanity sauce - hottest hot sauce I have tried by far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave's sauce is great. They also make various non-insanity sauces (steak sauce, chili garlic sauce,...) and I've had good luck with all of them.

fatmongo
12-02-2004, 02:00 PM
The hottest food I've ever eaten is a volcano dog. Its your average steamed hot dog, covered with 5 different peppers and sauces. I ate 2 to get my name on the wall of fame. I think the record was 4. Other people at the table watching me couldn't stand the smell of the dog. I dropped a chunk of hotness on my napkin and my friend stuck his finger in and licked it and he couldn't take it at all. I also got some on my arm, so I washed it off with water. Later that night I woke up in bed with a rash where the hot sauce had landed, I went to the bathroom and it was flaming red, I had to put medicine on it to cool it down.

I like spicy, but I'm not a big fan of hotness, for me it kills the taste. But I'm (almost) always up for a challenge.

Another question would be if you have eaten something extremely hot or spicy for a challenge or something like I did, do you try to get it out the way it came in, or let it come out naturally?

beerbandit
12-02-2004, 02:05 PM
i also feel this is the key

i dont prefer really hot food its more about the spicy flavor---i ma a pussy though when it coems to hot [censored].

cheers

PhatTBoll
12-02-2004, 02:11 PM
Here is a fun site (http://www.firegirl.com/hot-sauce.html) describing a lot of different hot sauces. Note the one that explicitly says it's not a condiment and can be used as a deer repellant.

I am a huge fan of spicy foods, but the really nasty ones are off limits for me because they just destroy me internally. The mouth can handle them, but the intestines cannot.

Sponger15SB
12-02-2004, 02:15 PM
I'm a total pussy, I can't even eat pepperocini.

vulturesrow
12-02-2004, 02:17 PM
I know a guy who put too much Dave's Insanity Sauce in his chili and about 3 bites into the meal, his nose started bleeding..and I dont mean dripping. It was a torrent of blood coming out of his nose.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2004, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a total pussy, I can't even eat pepperocini.

[/ QUOTE ]wtf? How is that possible, they aren't even hot. They taste like tangier pickles.

stabn
12-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Yah i don't even bother getting those. They just get in the way of the real peppers. I love spicy food though, especially indian and thai.

Four star Thai Kitchen yellow chicken curry forever (five star kicks my ass though).

vulturesrow
12-02-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yah i don't even bother getting those. They just get in the way of the real peppers. I love spicy food though, especially indian and thai.

Four star Thai Kitchen yellow chicken curry forever (five star kicks my ass though).

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I really like putting those on sandwiches, they add a nice flavor. But you would have be close to insane to even think they qualify as hot or spicy.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2004, 02:55 PM
spicy can be interpreted many ways, they are a little spicey, but not hot at all. They are better than pickels IMO.

Allan
12-02-2004, 03:16 PM
I love spicy food and peppers. This is the hottest I've tried and I really don't wanna try it again. It was the first time I've been scared eating anything spicy, almost like a chemical on my tongue. I only tried a small drop of the Ground Zero placed on a chip with a toothpick. That was enough to make me never wanna get near anything like the Final Answer. I've seen big batches of tortilla soup ruined from a trace amount of Ground zero added. Good luck to anyone who gives it a try.

Da Bomb (http://www.tijuanaflats.com/DaBomb.htm)

Allan

Rushmore
12-02-2004, 03:27 PM
I love all sorts of peppers. Look at how beautiful it is. I can take some serious spice, but flavor is important, of course. I once ate a habanero pepper on a bet in a supermarket and nearly passed out.

But it was a GOOD "nearly passed out."

Anyway, the hottest actual cuisine I have ever eaten was undoubtedly Ethiopian. They have a particular dish of very flavorful beef, wrapped in a spongy bread-type thingy, with this pitch-black sauce. It is unbelievably spicy, yet extremely delicious. Most cannot eat it, but I cannot stop eating it once I start. It's spicier (and, IMO, better) than really good vindaloo, even.

Bring a tough gut, and a Teflon mouth.

dsm
12-02-2004, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate spicy food, so "not very at all". I don't even like hot wings

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you. I can't handle anything much hotter than Ketchup.

-dsm

Edge34
12-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Da Bomb sauce is disturbing...

A kid in my class freshman year of high school brought some in one day...he told people it was just hot sauce, but didn't say HOW hot. You couldn't drink enough water to cool that [censored] off...

I survived it, but it was anything but fun. And I love spicy stuff, but good Lord, there's a line.

-Edge

EDIT: Don't know which kind of Da Bomb it was...Don't want to know either.

http://www.tijuanaflats.com/graphics_Large/deathpack.jpg

The Hot Sauce Death Pack (http://www.tijuanaflats.com/cgi/quikstore.cgi?search=yes&detail=yes&product=deathp ack&category=Hot_Sauce_Gift_Packs_for_any_Occasion &keywords=)

elwoodblues
12-02-2004, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't handle anything hotter than Ketchup.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be from Minnesota.

plaster8
12-02-2004, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dave's sauce is great. They also make various non-insanity sauces (steak sauce, chili garlic sauce,...) and I've had good luck with all of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch out for Dave's Private Reserve, though. That stuff is brutal. I had a dime-sized drop on a tortilla chip and was incapacitated for 30 minutes.

wayabvpar
12-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Damn, this thread is making me salivate. I LOVE spicy foods, and am always looking for something spicy. I have noticed that my tolerance for seriously hot stuff has declined as I get farther into my 30s- us old folks just can't handle it like I could when I was a kid.

daryn
12-02-2004, 04:20 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
dude, I like it too, and I am not sure if Spicy is the right word for it, but nothing kills me more than fresh horseradish sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

they have that at the bellagio buffet with the prime rib. it's awesome. i get a couple spoonfulls and then dip everything in it.

bugstud
12-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Anybody gone to Bufallo Wild Wings and done the 5 flame sauce, to compare to some of these experiences thus far?

brassnuts
12-02-2004, 06:22 PM
I once scarfed down a tablespoonfull of Dave's Double Strength Insanity Sauce for $20 while in college. I cried for about a half hour. And, continued to cry for about a week anytime I was on the crapper. After this, nothing has seemed too hot for me. I probably killed about 2/3 of my taste buds, though.

B Dids
12-02-2004, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I am a huge fan of spicy

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can think about reading this thread is our favorite swedish drug fied/poker wizard.

RocketManJames
12-02-2004, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try Dave's Insanity sauce - hottest hot sauce I have tried by far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spontaneous Combustion is another very very hot sauce... and I think it is tastier than Dave's Insanity. Give it a try some time if you're into the hottest of the hot.

-RMJ

Duke
12-03-2004, 12:43 AM
I think I could stomach him deep fried. Everything tastes good deep fried.

Plus I think I'd get high just by eating a piece of him.

~D

Sponger15SB
12-03-2004, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I am a huge fan of spicy

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can think about reading this thread is our favorite swedish drug fied/poker wizard.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what this means?

You're totally gay.

ThaSaltCracka
12-03-2004, 01:28 AM
this from the guy who is such a pussy that he can't even eat pepperocinis.

B Dids
12-03-2004, 01:43 AM
To know Spicy is to love him, what can I say.

If that makes me gay, then I don't want to be straight.

PLZ NOTE- I'M NOT GAY, NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

(Hi, I'm Dids, I didn't sleep last week, I think it's showing a bit).

IhadPocketMes
12-03-2004, 02:10 AM
Come on Elwood, You must be from minnesota? Thats kinda weak, anyway, for me Thai food is what gets me, sooooo gooooooot.

toss
12-03-2004, 03:30 AM
The death certificate on the back made me laugh for half an hour straight.

toss
12-03-2004, 03:42 AM
Has anyone read some of the reviews at this site?

Your Review:: I opened the bottle, didn't yet taste it. I went to pee and there was a bit on my finger. My d*** fell off.
Be CAREFUL!!! - holmby

HeartsKing
12-03-2004, 04:22 AM
There's a sushi restaurant near my work that gives out teeshirts if you can eat 2 of their spicy ninja handrolls; these are a 10 on their 1-10 heat scale. Each handroll has 3 whole habanero peppers (seeds, veins, and all) in it. I've had this and at one point I thought I was gonna die.

The liquor store next door tends to sell a big bottle of milk whenever someone attempts to eat the 2 handrolls of death. I ate my two roll without the milk but had to have a green tea ice cream afterwards.

I think they name it a ninja roll because it tries to sneak up on you and kill you. BTW, I had to sign a waiver before they would serve it to me.

HeartsKing

bugstud
12-04-2004, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody gone to Bufallo Wild Wings and done the 5 flame sauce, to compare to some of these experiences thus far?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody?

jasonHoldEm
12-05-2004, 09:39 AM
I find it disappointing that no one in this thread has mentioned Guatemalan insanity peppers.

As for myself I'll occasionally go for the habanero level, but most of the time I'm a plain jane jalapeno kinda guy. I put jalapenos on everything though (I make a jalapeno omelette that is quite tasty).

J