PDA

View Full Version : Situations where you might not want to follow the 10BB rule

Runner Runner
12-01-2004, 03:16 PM
We all know about the guidelines of pushing rather then raising if you have less then 10 BB's. Having said this, there are definitely some situations that exist where this rule isn't applicable. For example let's say it's 5 handed, and it's folded to you on the button, blinds are 50-100, you have 950 the sb has 1500 and the bb has 400. You have A6 or KT or something like that. In this situation I would raise it to 230, a bet where the BB knows I will call him for his stack but I can still fold if the SB moves over the top. I prefer this to either raising allin (too risky) or folding (gives up too much E.V). What other situations would a smaller raise be called for when you don't have many BB's?

UMTerp
12-01-2004, 03:20 PM
I don't like that play... isn't that pretty much begging for the small blind to steal your chips?? I pretty much follow the 10BB rule exlusively (I can't even think of a counter-example of the top of my head, though I imagine it's happened). If you don't want to put your chips in, then fold the hand.

Runner Runner
12-01-2004, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
isn't that pretty much begging for the small blind to steal your chips??

[/ QUOTE ] I think that the BB being so shortstacked would give you some protection from a steal in this spot, and doesn't the small raise look like it might be a big hand looking for some play?

Klak
12-01-2004, 03:35 PM
if the blinds are any good they will know that they can resteal that weak bet. you can also get some people to fold to weak bets so its just a matter of who your trying to steal from.

Vish
12-01-2004, 04:02 PM
I think there are two reasons most small blinds won't resteal here. The first has been mentioned: even if the SB makes the button fold, he still has to beat the BB, and therefore needs some sort of hand. I think if he does reraise, it's because he has a real hand, and not because he's restealing. Second, the SB will usually be happy to let the button take out the BB, as eliminating a player is usually more valuable than picking up a few chips. It's just like how multiple players will call when a short stack is all in, and then check through till someone hits something. In such situations, reasonable players will tacitly work together. At least, I think this is true at at the limits I've played at (through $55). I'm sure people are trickier higher up.

housenuts
12-01-2004, 04:05 PM
i don't think the SB would fear the BB so much if he was gonna play. the BB would likely fold if he felt the button would call and there would be a showdown and he would have a chance of moving up a spot.

I also don't really like this small bet because I think it really is asking for a resteal.

eastbay
12-01-2004, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We all know about the guidelines of pushing rather then raising if you have less then 10 BB's. Having said this, there are definitely some situations that exist where this rule isn't applicable. For example let's say it's 5 handed, and it's folded to you on the button, blinds are 50-100, you have 950 the sb has 1500 and the bb has 400. You have A6 or KT or something like that. In this situation I would raise it to 230, a bet where the BB knows I will call him for his stack but I can still fold if the SB moves over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this kind of play is that a good player in the SB can pick up on it as a tell that you're ready to get out if he comes in. So, he will happily oblige with his 53o.

On the other hand, a lot of players won't do this, so I agree it can be effective against weak opposition.

eastbay

betgo
12-01-2004, 04:16 PM
In the situations you mention, I would just push from the button. It puts more pressure on your opponents. If you are called by a better hand, you may win anyway.

I might miniraise with a big pair. Also, as a big stack, I might make miniraises when the BB is less than 1/10th of my stack but more than 1/10th of my opponents.

UMTerp
12-01-2004, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The first has been mentioned: even if the SB makes the button fold, he still has to beat the BB, and therefore needs some sort of hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not when he's getting 2:1 on his raise when the button folds - any two will do.

UMTerp
12-01-2004, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I might miniraise with a big pair. Also, as a big stack, I might make miniraises when the BB is less than 1/10th of my stack but more than 1/10th of my opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, agreed - I didn't think of that. I sometimes don't follow the 10BB rule with AA or KK, but only against poorly opponents.

curtains
12-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Cmon let's be serious, all players on PartyPoker play as well as Johnny Chan and would read the 230 button raise as an obvious steal attempt and come over the top with impunity with any 2 cards.

Gramps
12-01-2004, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What other situations would a smaller raise be called for when you don't have many BB's?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the same situation you describe, with the additional information that you know SB is aggressive and likes to come over the top with a wide range of Ace-containing hands, but is unlikely to flat coldcall. You have AKs, and are willing to go to war against the BB regardless of how the chips get in the pot (even if he calls and pushes the flop, you're calling).

A raise to 250 to induce a playback from SB would be a good play here.