PDA

View Full Version : An interesting hockey story

Gamblor
11-23-2004, 11:08 AM
In 1952, there was a young defenceman named Bill Barilko. A tough, hard-nosed kid who played solid, fundamental defence, he scored few goals in his career. Barilko's style of play mirrored that of another defenceman of Russian decent, Vladimir Konstantinov (whose career also ended prematurely, albeit in a non-fatal accident).

But in the 1951 Stanley Cup Finals, the Leafs and Canadiens had fought through 4 games, all 4 going to overtime. With the Leafs up 3 games to 1 and the Canadiens trying to avoid elimination, the Game 5 of April 21st once again went to overtime. At 2:53 of the first overtime, Barilko picked up a rebound in front of Canadiens' goalie Gerry MacNeil and willed an off-balance shot past him for the Cup Winner.

http://www.southcoastal.com/images/barilko_goal.gif

Four months after scoring the Cup-winning goal in 1951, Bill Barilko embarked on a fishing trip in a Fairchild 24 plane with his friend Dr. Henry Hudson, fishing for arctic char, north of Cochrane, Ontario. They never returned. The plane went down into the Northern Ontario forests, hidden from search parties. It was front-page news nationwide, and the disappearance remained a mystery for years.

It wasn't until 1962, the year the bodies were discovered, that the Leafs would win their next championship.

The Bambino was a fag.

jakethebake
11-23-2004, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
An interesting hockey story

[/ QUOTE ] There was one?

Gamblor
11-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Wow, I have my very own troll.

I'd like to thank everyone for sticking with me through the tough times and bad beats. I've finally hit the summit of 2+2.

plaster8
11-24-2004, 06:29 AM
I'm sure you know this, but as a Tragically Hip fan, I feel obligated to point out that they wrote a song about Barilko. "Fifty Mission Cap."

Gamblor
11-24-2004, 02:25 PM
I stole this from a hockey card.

I worked it in to look like that.

Diplomat
11-24-2004, 03:02 PM
The year he was discovered.

-Diplomat

beerbandit
11-24-2004, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
defenceman

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
defence

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
defenceman

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehe defen<font color="red">C</font>e

sounds interesting, i think ill look a little more into it

cheers
beer

jakethebake
11-24-2004, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I have my very own troll.

I'd like to thank everyone for sticking with me through the tough times and bad beats. I've finally hit the summit of 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hate to burst your bubble but actually...
1) To be referred to as a troll one generally is the original poster of a thread.
2) I didn't even notice you were th poster. I just don't really care about hockey (like the vast majority of other Americans).

jakethebake
11-24-2004, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
defenceman

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
defence

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
defenceman

[/ QUOTE ]

cheers
beer

[/ QUOTE ] Dat's the guy that builds de fences.

andyfox
11-24-2004, 04:06 PM

Gamblor
11-24-2004, 04:33 PM
Yeah.

The Bambino only got traded.

Poor baby.

Drac
11-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Too much activity and excitement in a hockey game for the average brain to handle. Have to slow it down to the level of soccer or baseball for more people to get it.

daryn
11-24-2004, 08:07 PM
wow, an 11 year curse for a team (almost) nobody cares about?

daryn
11-24-2004, 08:07 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
defenceman

[/ QUOTE ]
defence

[/ QUOTE ]
defenceman

[/ QUOTE ]

cheers
beer

[/ QUOTE ] Dat's the guy that builds de fences.

[/ QUOTE ]

the defenceman would actually be the guy who takes down fences.

Gamblor
11-24-2004, 09:47 PM
I'll make it easy for you.

<ul type="square">
They were one of the original teams in the game.
They're one of the two most storied franchises in the game
They've won over a dozen championships but fell on hard times for decades
Every bar in the city is packed on a game night.
In the playoffs, every win or loss is either celebrated or anguished on the streets until 3 am
Any team news is front page news in every newspaper in the province.
They have a huge following across the whole country; any Leafs away game in Canada is guaranteed to fill the arena.
[/list]

Sound familiar?

daryn
11-24-2004, 10:03 PM
when will canadians realize that the US doesn't care if canada exists.

Gamblor
11-25-2004, 02:05 AM
Why do Americans (on average) spend so much time talking shit about Canada?

You want to be "proud to be American" I'm down. That's cool.

Why talk shit when Canadians are the same?

daryn
11-25-2004, 02:09 AM
you'll never hear me say i'm "proud to be american".

not that i'm not, i love the US, but i would never vocalize it like that.

i'm just saying, you are trying to compare some 11 year "curse" on a team that has had much success to the red sox 86 year curse full of heartbreak.

Gamblor
11-25-2004, 03:01 AM
you'll never hear me say i'm "proud to be american".

But you are.

No need to say it out loud, it's obvious in the attitude, which i find much better than just saying it outright. Too many people talk too much shit, then when their name gets called at the draft board they run north. Always the loud ones.

i'm just saying, you are trying to compare some 11 year "curse" on a team that has had much success to the red sox 86 year curse full of heartbreak.

It's plenty tough being a Leaf fan. Maybe not 86 years tough, but as close as we've been, neither of us had seen a championship team in our lifetimes, and as far as I'm concerned, it may as well have been 86 years.

nothumb
11-25-2004, 03:15 AM
Plenty tough being a Leaf fan. Boo hoo. Your franchise is televised constantly and favored by referees and even the government-owned TV station that airs the game. You've got one of the game's great nuts behind you at halftime of every game. You've got supposedly the 'best line in hockey.'

And you still can't win a Cup because all the American teams have more money to spend and your team is old and crotchety and doomed to perpetually hint at emerging from mediocrity but fail when the chips are down.

Hahahahaha

NT

Diplomat
11-25-2004, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It's plenty tough being a Leaf fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is, your poor child.

-Diplomat

youtalkfunny
11-25-2004, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
another defenceman of Russian decent,

[/ QUOTE ]

All you "defencive" spellcheckers missed one.

bwana devil
11-25-2004, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do Americans (on average) spend so much time talking [censored] about Canada?

[/ QUOTE ]

might I remind you that you're the one who opened this thread by insulting an American sports icon?

youtalkfunny
11-25-2004, 05:55 AM
You call that an interesting hockey story?

Try this one on:

Derek Sanderson says he decided to quit taking drugs "the day I woke up naked in the snow."

Gamblor
11-25-2004, 10:37 AM
might I remind you that you're the one who opened this thread by insulting an American sports icon?

Oh give me a break.

That's like accusing someone of hating Canadians because he thinks Jim Carrey isn't funny.

Gamblor
11-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Derek Sanderson was before my time too, and I heard a whole bunch of stories about him as well.

Basically pissed away his huge contracts on drugs.

daryn
11-25-2004, 11:02 AM
But you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course i am. this is where i live. however a country is just a country. mine just happens to be in 1st place right now.

No need to say it out loud, it's obvious in the attitude, which i find much better than just saying it outright. Too many people talk too much shit, then when their name gets called at the draft board they run north. Always the loud ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. nothing worse than those people who say "i'm going to canada if XXXXXX happens". notice how 99% are still here? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

It's plenty tough being a Leaf fan. Maybe not 86 years tough, but as close as we've been, neither of us had seen a championship team in our lifetimes, and as far as I'm concerned, it may as well have been 86 years

[/ QUOTE ]

touche. good point.

bwana devil
11-25-2004, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's like accusing someone of hating Canadians because he thinks Jim Carrey isn't funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what your weak analogy is trying to convey. It is so misguided and disingenuous I wonder if you actually realize this or are just trying to be cute.

1. Jim Carey is not a Canadian icon. (And I'm not going to get into a debate whether he's a Canadian icon. He's not.)
2. Saying Jim Carey is not funny is not an insult.

Youre the one on here professing how much Americans talk [censored] about Canadians. Yet youre the one who started off by insulting Americans. How your logic brings you to the above statement is beyond me.

Gamblor
11-25-2004, 01:20 PM
If you really don't get the analogy, replace Jim Carrey with Wayne Gretzky.

Gamblor
11-25-2004, 01:23 PM
It could be worse. I could have to cheer for the Orca Bay Whal... I mean Canucks.

They don't even deserve a team. How cold does it get there? 10 degrees?

Gamblor
11-25-2004, 01:27 PM
You've got one of the game's great nuts behind you at halftime of every game.

halftime?

I was 11 years old, flying to Toronto alone after a March break visit with my cousins in Vancouver. The Leafs were in town the night before, and my flight left 8am Sunday morning.

I had a points ticket so I flew business class. I'm strapped in ready to go, and last minute 3 people jump on board. Don Cherry, Ron MacLean, and their producer. Wow.

Who sits on my right? Don Cherry himself.

And I happened to have a Doug Gilmour jersey on. He wanted to adopt me right there, but settled for autographing a bunch of stuff for me.

Awesome.

razor
11-25-2004, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It could be worse. I could have to cheer for the Orca Bay Whal... I mean Canucks.

They don't even deserve a team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you've crossed the line! /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

bwana devil
11-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Now you're finally getting it. Now replace "not funny" w/ "c*cks**ker." Now you have a fair analogy.

So to play the analogy game (which is weak by its very nature), if I told you Gretzky is a c*cks**cker and in the same breath asked why youre so hostile toward Americans, it would sound pretty stoopid, yes?

It looks like like youre finally on the right track.

nothumb
11-25-2004, 03:49 PM
My favorite Don Cherry story was after the Bertuzzi incident last season. I'm sure you saw it. He got on at halftime and said Bertuzzi deserved the suspension, it was despicable, etc.

"So all you kids watching, if you wanna fight a guy, you do it face to face, hear me? None of this sucker-punch-from-behind crap. You square off, you drop the gloves and you do it. That's the Canadian way."

Sweet.

NT

Drac
11-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Cherry is an idiot at times. Cherry is entertaining as hell most of the time. The NHL Center Ice package is worth it just to see the HNIC between periods programs (Coach's Corner and Sat. Hot Stove). Hockey discussed by people that don't hate the game. What a nice change from a lot of the US coverage.

I don't get all the animosity between you Canucks and us Yanks. Not saying it doesn't exist, I just don't understand where it all comes from. If you watch Fox for more than an hour you're almost certain to see an anti Canadian segment. I'll always be thankful for Canada for 2 reasons...hockey and their tasty beers. Thank you Canada!

jakethebake
11-30-2004, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get all the animosity between you Canucks and us Yanks. Not saying it doesn't exist, I just don't understand where it all comes from. If you watch Fox for more than an hour you're almost certain to see an anti Canadian segment. I'll always be thankful for Canada for 2 reasons...hockey and their tasty beers. Thank you Canada!

[/ QUOTE ] There's animosity between us? I hadn't realized. It's more just good natured ribbing I think. As for Fox, in case you weren't aware Rupert Murdoch is an Aussie. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peca277
11-30-2004, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll always be thankful for Canada for 2 reasons...hockey and their tasty beers. Thank you Canada!

[/ QUOTE ]

Moving to Virginia from Buffalo, it's still hard for me to look at Labatt Blue or Molson as an import. Ridiculous I tell you!! But then I discovered Yuengling and that made it all okay /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Drac
12-01-2004, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] There's animosity between us? I hadn't realized. It's more just good natured ribbing I think. As for Fox, in case you weren't aware Rupert Murdoch is an Aussie. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so much at 2+2 but on a lot of the hockey forums I haunt there's a lot of garbage thrown about. O'Reilly had another anti Canada rant last night. Bush won't speak to Parliament for fear of a negative reaction. Most of the time it seems it starts with Americans throwing the first stone but it definitely goes both ways. As long as they keep sending us beer and producing guys like Sidney Crosby Canada is OK by me.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not so much at 2+2 but on a lot of the hockey forums I haunt there's a lot of garbage thrown about. O'Reilly had another anti Canada rant last night. Bush won't speak to Parliament for fear of a negative reaction. Most of the time it seems it starts with Americans throwing the first stone but it definitely goes both ways. As long as they keep sending us beer and producing guys like Sidney Crosby Canada is OK by me.

[/ QUOTE ] I don't think what goes on politically is any reflection of general animosity between Americans &amp; Canadians...And who the hell is Sidney Crosby?

Gamblor
12-01-2004, 04:39 PM
As long as they keep sending us beer and producing guys like Sidney Crosby Canada is OK by me.

Sidney Crosby is the sickest hockey player in Junior hockey since Lemieux. And he makes Lemieux look like Tie Domi.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sidney Crosby is the sickest hockey player in Junior hockey since Lemieux. And he makes Lemieux look like Tie Domi.

[/ QUOTE ] Sickest? Is that good or bad? And who the hell is Tie Domi?

Gamblor
12-01-2004, 05:35 PM
He's going to shatter all of Lemieux's and Gretzky's Junior records. Not just break, shatter. He averages like 4 points a game.

And he's draft eligible this year, but there won't be a draft due to the lockout, so he might be a free agent.

Ricky Slade
12-01-2004, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's going to shatter all of Lemieux's and Gretzky's Junior records. Not just break, shatter. He averages like 4 points a game.

And he's draft eligible this year, but there won't be a draft due to the lockout, so he might be a free agent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't they say the same about Jagr, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, and most recently Jason Spezza?

Scoring 4 points a game in the junior minors is joke. He won't even touch the "Lemieux's and Gretzky's"

Drac
12-02-2004, 01:42 AM
Jagr didn't play in the CHL. Neither did Kovalchuk. So no, they didn't say they'd break Lemieux's junior records. If scoring 4 points a game is a joke then a lot of guys must have done it the last few years. Care to name one? And yes, I do realize he's not really scoring 4 points a game this year, only a little over 2.

Crosby was the league MVP at 16 years of age. He was playing against guys that are up to 4 years older than he was and he DOMINATED the league. He's the youngest player to score a goal in the WJC's, the TOP level of competition for his age group. Younger than Gretzky or Lemieux. There's no guarantee that he'll be a star in the NHL but his play at this point is as good as anyone ever at an equal point. He'll never break scoring records in the NHL because the game is so different today but he's darn fun to watch.

Gamblor
12-02-2004, 02:43 AM
dn't they say the same about Jagr, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, and most recently Jason Spezza?

They did only about Lecavalier, and he's beginning to break through. But no, he didn't break any of their Junior records.

Spezza I played high school hockey against. He played for St. Mike's and he was really good, but not so dominant as to control a game like Crosby does. They've been airing CHL games on TSN here and they showed a recent Rimouski game vs. the Gatineau (formerly Hull) Olympiques. He totally dominated. It was incredible. Oh, and 4 assists in the first period too.