PDA

View Full Version : The Big Lebowski

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Finally saw it for the first time this weekend. I don't see what the hype is about. People like it enough that there can be a favorite quotes thread on here?

It was OK, but nothing special IMO. I probably just didn't "get it".

Let the flaming begin.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 12:43 PM
I am the same way.

riverboatking
11-22-2004, 12:47 PM
one of the greatest films of all time.
and the clincher is that John Goodman is right in the end.
so classic, if you didn't get it i am truly sorry for you.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 12:51 PM
what is there to "get"? This isn't some extremely clever film, I think if you like the humor, you'll like the film, if not, you won't like it.

namknils
11-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Hmm...I haven't seen this movie yet, and I actually went to rent it on Friday night but my movie store didn't have it. I thought "what the heck, I thought this movie was awesome, why wouldn't they have it?"

nicky g
11-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Me too. In fact I am usually overwhelmingly negative about it but that's probably just a reaction to people raving maniacally about it. Truly over-rated.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 01:04 PM
/images/graemlins/confused.gif
we agree on something /images/graemlins/confused.gif

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nicky g
11-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Wait a minute... I just re-watched it in the space of three seconds and now realise it's unquestionably the greatest work of art in any format of all time... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 01:08 PM
it is an amazingly average piece of film.

nicky g
11-22-2004, 01:09 PM
I know.

IndieMatty
11-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Top 10 Movie of "our" generation. (18 -34) yr olds.

IndieMatty
11-22-2004, 01:22 PM
What "type" of humor is it? This is not a knock, but if you think this is just an "average" movie, you definitely do not "get it".

PhatTBoll
11-22-2004, 01:25 PM
This movie sits with Scarface at the top of the pantheon of laughably overrated films.

nicky g
11-22-2004, 01:26 PM
Adolescent "wacky" humour, IMO.

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 01:27 PM
What is there to get? The movie certainly had some funny parts, but I don't think it was really making a compelling or interesting point, per se.

Reminded me of English classes in high school or college, where people extracted "meaning" out of random situations and themes, because they really wanted to find something deep in the book, story, etc.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that I didn't like the movie, I thought it was good, but top-10, give me a break.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What "type" of humor is it? This is not a knock, but if you think this is just an "average" movie, you definitely do not "get it".

[/ QUOTE ]
ah thanks, you are right, I guess I don't "get" how stupid jokes are funny /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

IndieMatty
11-22-2004, 01:38 PM
Top 10 may be exaggerating, but it is one of my favorites.

I'll try to write something more to explain where I am coming from, but I am at work..

IndieMatty
11-22-2004, 01:41 PM
So I take it you are more of a RushHour fan, rather then Super Troopers.

To each his own...

If the bigL is not a brilliant comedy, please let me know what you consider to be?

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 01:43 PM
Super Troopers is funny, but thats because it actually has funny jokes. Big L is just sort of stupid, I don't hate the movie, I just don't get the intense pleasure some people have gotten out of watching it, seriously, its not that funny.

God, I am waiting for The Dude to come in here and flame all of us.

AngryCola
11-22-2004, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ah thanks, you are right, I guess I don't "get" how stupid jokes are funny

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie isn't top 10 material, but it does have a lot of funny moments. The whole bowling dance number was possibly one of the weirder things that I have ever seen in a movie.

I hope nobody thinks Monty Python movies/shows/jokes are stupid. I might have to "throw down" if anyone goes down that road. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

EDIT- Super Troopers is funny, also. The writing for that movie was surprisingly good. I was shocked at how well at was written, the first time I saw it. I had written it off, and never intended to watch it. Thankfully, a friend of mine insisted that I see this movie.

IndieMatty
11-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Yeah, you just don't like that type of humor I guess. Can't really explain to you. I also take it that me and you think Super Troopers is funny for completely different reasons.

IndieMatty
11-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Agreed with SP. Looked so stupid. Brilliant movie. "AfghanistanimatioN!"

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also take it that me and you think Super Troopers is funny for completely different reasons.

[/ QUOTE ] ummmm.... I liked it because it was funny. What other reason is there to like the film.

IndieMatty
11-22-2004, 01:52 PM
Check out the Reviews on IMDB, usually good stuff there. Here is the most overtly "Deep" review. Theres a ton more on there that explain the movie, and a bunch from people, who didn't recognize how special it was until their third or fourth viewing.

[ QUOTE ]
It's a travesty that most critics only read The Big Lebowski at its most superficial level and called it a modern take on a Raymond Chandler potboiler. I simply can't begin to perceive how one could sit down in front of this cinematic pop-poetry, as it plates gold on the silver screen, and not feel so incredibly alive. The dream sequence Busbee Berkley musical numbers are unique and awe-inspiring; the humor is rich, subtle, and clever in the way it satirizes politically correct arrogance; the free-flowing story avoids (even pokes fun at) nonessentials like plot points and pay-offs. But what really makes this film such a masterpiece, such a panacea, is the incredible humanism, the care that the Coen brothers put in developing The Dude (Jeff Bridges), Walter (John Goodman), Donnie (Steve Buscemi-tremendously endearing), and Brandt (magnificently played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman). Looking at the films use of Sam Elliott to play The Stranger, who constantly rambles about the many wonders of The Dude (among other things), it is clear that the film is an ode to a Dudist way of life. And in a time where so many film promise that they have the answer to the worlds problems and end up as slick, stylistic show-off films, what more could one ask for than a good-hearted film like this? Not to mention the performance by Jeff Bridges, which ranks among the best performances of the nineties; he has a relaxed slouch, a goofy smile, an enthusiastic dance, and his buttons can only be pushed by Walter, who John Goodman plays with charm and fury. The Coen brothers have always been considered 'cold' filmmakers, but there is nothing here but warmth and humanity (as is the case with the Coens' Fargo). What we have here is one of the greatest achievements in modern cinema and if you can't see that, grab a White Russian, hit the bowling ally, and find your inner-Dude as soon as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

BigL User Comments (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118715/usercomments)

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 01:55 PM
so what you and that review are saying is that if you think the film is stupid then its probably because you are to stupid to realize how un-stupid the film is, right?

The once and future king
11-22-2004, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cinematic pop-poetry

[/ QUOTE ]

Stopped reading right there.

IndieMatty
11-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Yeah it's pretentious as hell...but a decent explanation.

andyfox
11-22-2004, 02:00 PM
I didn't care for it either, maybe I'm too old (51). My daughter loved it. I like the Coen Brothers: loved Fargo and the Hudsucker Proxy in particular.

IndieMatty
11-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Theres different levels of humor. There's a reason why there's an audience for things like Friends and BBC's The Office, both are funny, but in completely different contexts.

Sarge85
11-22-2004, 02:01 PM
Bring Poker and The Big Lebowski together and you get this:

http://cardsspeak.servebeer.com/archives/zen_and_the_art_of_the_dude.html

Enjoy - I found it somewhat entertaining.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

IndieMatty
11-22-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm not calling you stupid. But there is such a thing as "Intelligent Humor", where your average Jay Leno viewer will not be able to "get it", and yes that is because they are slightly less intelligent.

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't care for it either, maybe I'm too old (51). My daughter loved it. I like the Coen Brothers: loved Fargo and the Hudsucker Proxy in particular.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also liked Fargo. I really liked O Brother Where Art Thou. I think the hype on this one just built it up too much for me.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 02:09 PM
intelligent humor is an oxymoron

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Theres different levels of humor. There's a reason why there's an audience for things like Friends and BBC's The Office, both are funny, but in completely different contexts.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no. Friends is not really funny. The Office is outstanding. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I get your point on the whole thing Indie, and I sort of agree with you. In the end, the view of the movie probably depends a lot on what age and situation you're in when you see it. If I had seen it when it was first released, right when I was out of college and just starting work, maybe I would have connected with it more. But now that I've been working in the "real world" for as long as I have, I don't see the lifestyle of The Dude as a glamourous one that I'd want to emulate.

The once and future king
11-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Of course it isnt.

Are you suggesting that all humour has to be stupid.

Intelligent stupidity is an oxymoron but humour can be catagorised in many ways.

Agree about the film, but not this comment.

spamuell
11-22-2004, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
intelligent humor is an oxymoron

[/ QUOTE ]

That is retarded.

Unless you were being cleverly ironic and therefore being humourous while at the same time self-deprecating. In which case, bravo TSC, bravo.

jakethebake
11-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Not even the best Jeff Bridges movie and I can't stand Jeff Bridges.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting that all humour has to be stupid.

[/ QUOTE ] no, I am suggesting that "intelligent" humor is bull [censored]. People assume that if you don't laugh at an "intelligent" joke its because you are to stupid to "get" it, which is bull [censored]. The person probably isn't laughing because they didn't find it funny. There is this sort of pompous attitude when it comes to humor, that if you don't like the witty, "intelligent" humor of say Rushmore its because you probably like the "dumb-downed" humor of Dumb and Dumber .

Personally, I find Jeff Daniels explosive diarreah funnier than Bridges quirkiness, which I think apparently means I am stupid.

The once and future king
11-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Saying Inteligent humour is an oxymoron is different to saying it is bullshit.

Actualy what I think you are saying is that intligent humour is fine but peoples pompous attitudes about it are bullshit.

I dont have this problem because I am extremely inteligent and get and laugh at all intelligent humour which perhaps goes over the head of your average semi literate peasant.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actualy what I think you are saying is that intligent humour is fine but peoples pompous attitudes about it are bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ] Thats probably what I meant.

[ QUOTE ]
I dont have this problem because I am extremely inteligent and get and laugh at all intelligent humour which perhaps goes over the head of your average semi literate peasant.

[/ QUOTE ] LMAO

wayabvpar
11-22-2004, 02:55 PM
I really think it has to seen more than once to truly be appreciated. I remember seeing for the first time, and thinking it was mildly amusing. I caught it on cable a few months later, and it hit me- it is [censored] brilliant. I think it even outranks Raising Arizona, which until then had been one of my very favorite movies (and favorite Coen effort by far).

Take a few weeks, then go back and watch it again.

IndieMatty
11-22-2004, 03:12 PM
There's plenty of people who find both funny. I do.

Rushmore is genius.

J.R.
11-22-2004, 03:13 PM
Its a pretty good anti-war movie. Life is bizare, people in power are often idiotic, motives are to be questioned, and letting unchecked aggression stand isn't the end of the world (keep in mind the GB senior opening quote). Some situations don't need to be confronted. Its ok to not care about some things, to avoid conflict and just live simply. There's also something beautifully fatalistic about its philospohy, something about not looking or seeking too much, not living in denial about reality and taking yourself too seriously.

The characters make the movie, its kinda like rushmore or the royal tenenbaums in that regard, its sheer absurdity. Everyone seems to be flailing away, full of internal contradictions and mornonically bumbling along. Its hard to capture the essence. You either appreciate absurdity or you don't, it depends on your world view. It also helps to be really stoned or with a strong drink nearby, or to have at least embraced the bohemian lifestyle at some point. But its not an earthshattering movie, it just hits a cord with a certain disenfranchised sentimentalism that many go thru during adolesence that some never quite let go of. And Bob Dylan's soundtrack is excellent and adds depth to these themes.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's plenty of people who find both funny. I do.

Rushmore is genius.

[/ QUOTE ]I realize that, I like both movies in fact, but there are certainly people who think "Dumb and Dumber, psssssssh I would never watch that childish movie!"

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It also helps to be really stoned or with a strong drink nearby, or to have at least embraced the bohemian lifestyle at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to write that I would bet there's a strong correlation between people who like this movie, and people who have liberal views on drug use.

Good post J.R., I get what you're saying, I'll have to give it another watch sometimes. I agree that some movies get better after seeing them a few times.

sfer
11-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Your thinking about it is very uptight.

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And your comment doesn't explain why it's a genius movie.

I will give you props on your locator though, although you misspelled the word "owned". Crazy to see Cal #4 in the country.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]worst retort ever.

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, when I think about it, sfer is right about that, my thinking is uptight.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, when I think about it, sfer is right about that, my thinking is uptight.

[/ QUOTE ]second worst retort ever. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

nothumb
11-22-2004, 04:41 PM
It's just a line from the movie. (Maybe you know this.)

I am one of those people who truly loves this movie. I like the humanity of it, and the way it skewers decadent lifestyles and political correctness without being unfunny and starting a class war, and the silly little tropes that run throughout the movie. I think it's incredibly well-written in terms of character interactions and there are plenty of good one-liners as well.

Ultimately, I can see why some people get mad at all the hype and don't really find it their kind of humor. It's basically an absurdist movie and you have to be willing to go along with it or it seems like one big, masturbatory acid flashback. I, for one, am happy to go along with it, because I do understand that it has a point under that (impressive) guise of pointlessness.

NT

Senor Choppy
11-22-2004, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so what you and that review are saying is that if you think the film is stupid then its probably because you are to stupid to realize how un-stupid the film is, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That pretty much sums it up.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 04:46 PM
hmmm, I haven't seen the film for a year or so, maybe I'll check it out again, while I am drunk or stoned. I love absurdness, which is probably why I like South Park.

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's just a line from the movie. (Maybe you know this.)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, forgot about that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Good post, I can see how people share your view on the movie. I'll probably give it another spin at some point.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 04:50 PM
lets have a 2+2 gathering where we all get drunk and watch Big L!

deacsoft
11-22-2004, 05:14 PM
I love the Big L. It's one of those movies you either love or just don't like. I started the favorite lines from the Big L. thread, and got some huge laughs from the responses. I think some of you may be over looking the fact that there is no such thing as a comedy that is a great movie. And when I say great movie I mean Best Picture quality. They're either funny to you or not. There's not much else to it.

sfer
11-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Eh, I just thought it's hilarious. Explaining what you find funny is a pretty futile endeavor.

Also, pwned is apparently spelled correctly. I'm not really sure why, but I don't expect Cal every to be ranked this high again in my lifetime so it stays.

nothumb
11-22-2004, 05:19 PM
I forgot to mention that I am also a bowler, so, take that for what you will.

I think the most silly/absurd things that always get me are what the characters decide to talk about at any given time. Some of the most ludicrous conversations ever.

Also, I think the supporting cast (Goodman, Turtorro, Buscemi) is really fabulous.

"8 year olds, dude."

You're right that it's a fun movie to watch with a group when slightly lit up. But emphasize the slightly. If you're zonked too much of it will just slip right by you.

NT

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Explaining what you find funny is a pretty futile endeavor.

[/ QUOTE ] indeed.

nothumb
11-22-2004, 05:21 PM
There was a thread about this a while ago. It's some lame hacker-speak from back in the ASCII days that got passed down to gamers.

NT

deacsoft
11-22-2004, 05:21 PM
P.S.
I hated it the first time I watched it because I couldn't pay full attention to it. I've loved it ever since the second time I saw it. When I "got it".

nothumb
11-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Your avatar moves too slow. It makes me sad.

Where does one find a video of that great encounter?

I've also been looking for a video of that time the monster Cubs reliever- what's his name? Farnsworth? - broke that guy's nose.

NT

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're right that it's a fun movie to watch with a group when slightly lit up. But emphasize the slightly. If you're zonked too much of it will just slip right by you.

[/ QUOTE ] Totally. There is only one movie I have seen that I really enjoyed both sober and [censored] up, and that was America Beauty

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There was a thread about this a while ago. It's some lame hacker-speak from back in the ASCII days that got passed down to gamers.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that was a tongue-in-cheek way of pointing out my un-hipness.

I'm going to have to ask another one of my friends about this movie, his screen name on UB is "shutupdonnie".

billyjex
11-22-2004, 05:29 PM
In the top three comedies. Ever.

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your avatar moves too slow. It makes me sad.

Where does one find a video of that great encounter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Another poster sent me this as a GIF file, but I don't know where he got it. I kind of like the slow motion though, drags out the beating.

astroglide
11-22-2004, 05:40 PM
i saw it in the theater initially and didn't see a big deal, the next watching immediately surfaced its subtleties but i was older then. now it's one of my favorite and most rewatchable movies.

billyjex
11-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Robin Ventura grew up near my elementary school and came to my D.A.R.E graduation. However, he only gave his signed baseball cards to the top students, so I enjoyed his owning by Nolan Ryan.

GuyOnTilt
11-22-2004, 05:58 PM

I'm down. I'm catching a flight to Seatac tomorrow and'll be in town for a week. No joke.

GoT

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Robin Ventura grew up near my elementary school and came to my D.A.R.E graduation. However, he only gave his signed baseball cards to the top students, so I enjoyed his owning by Nolan Ryan.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is awesome. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm down. I'm catching a flight to Seatac tomorrow and'll be in town for a week. No joke.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]hmmm a meet up may be in store. I was thinking of going down to the Muck on wednesday during the day to play some 3/6.

The Dude
11-22-2004, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was OK, but nothing special IMO. I probably just didn't "get it".

[/ QUOTE ]
As others have suggested, it is definately a movie that must be watched more than one time. The first time you watch a movie, you tend to pay attention to the plot and character development, and there's not much of either of those in this movie. What there is though, is fantastic character interaction and absalutely brilliant dialogue. It's so pure that most people think a lot of the movie was improvised. In a huge credit to the Coen Brothers' writing abilities, almost the entire movie is word-for-word how they wrote it.

Seriously, forget about the big picture of the movie (plot and stuff like that) and just lose yourself into the characters. It's a character driven movie, and absalutely brilliant. I began to really like the movie about the 4th time I watched it, and about the 8th time realized it was myt all-time favorite movie.

turnipmonster
11-22-2004, 07:20 PM
I'll have to watch it again. I saw it once, and honestly don't understand what all the fuss it about.

--turnipmonster

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 07:23 PM
OK, now that you have replied this thread is closed. Had to wait for The Dude himself to comment.

After all of the posts, I've decided I can see a lot of the arguments for it, and will watch it again sometime.

Good discussions though, movies are so subjective, and this is one that I wanted more viewpoints on from the big time fans of it.

ethan
11-22-2004, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Big Lebowski drinking game:

Every time someone says "dude", drink. "Dudearino", "Dudester" etc qualify.

nicky g
11-23-2004, 06:01 AM
" It's basically an absurdist movie and you have to be willing to go along with it or it seems like one big, masturbatory acid flashback."

That is exactly what it felt like to me. Absurd humour is my favourite kind of humour, but if TBL is absurd, and I'm not sure it is, it's absurd in a tremedously self-indulgent, flabby kind of way.

That said I too should watch it again, as I've only seen it once the whole way through, and it was a long time ago.

sfer
11-23-2004, 11:14 AM
I just remembered the title of the porn flick with Bunny and Karl Hungus: Logjammin'. If that ain't hilarious I don't know what is. And the great exchange between Maude and The Dude about it where they each get to surprise the other by saying "vagina."

IndieMatty
11-23-2004, 11:56 AM
It is one of the best.

Maude Lebowski: [watching Logjamming The Porn Movie] You can guess what happens next.
The Dude: He fixes the cable?

Cyrus
11-24-2004, 04:08 AM
It had characters from real life. (Something that would never get past the preview audiences of big marketing.) Characters from real life are larger than life on screen.

Add to that some every day kind of humour (prick yer ears) and a dastardly insane/everyday plot, with the standard writer's formats (i.e. you can't just introduce characters and then not tell us anything more about 'em, sir!) thrown out the window.

It is sad that the makers of Lebowski are the same people who made those last two sorry excuses of a film.

Danenania
11-24-2004, 05:00 AM
I think in many ways this film is bigger than itself. People always seem to have more fun reciting the lines than actually watching the movie again--better in memory than on the screen. I think this is because the essence is not plot or moral message, its a mindset, an outlook. And while this mindset is not 100% revealed in the process of viewing (especially not one viewing), there is something of a spark. Then as you continue through life in the postmodern haze (in the parliance of our times) you just can't help but realize how appropriate this mindset feels, how each one liner seems to perfectly fit some everyday situation. Then before much longer passes you suddenly realize that you have evolved into a full fledged Dude, doing crazy things like saying "man" a lot and playing poker for money. And where can you trace it all back to? Who do you have to thank? That's right. The Dude. El Duderino (for those not into the whole brevity thing). His Royal Dudeness. The Big Lebowski.