PDA

View Full Version : Turkey and Stuff

Zeno
11-21-2004, 01:42 AM
What are some good turkey cooking tips - Or the best way to cook the bird on Thanksgiving? Traditional rooster style or....? One year I helped make a bourbon turkey.

The other big thing is stuffing. Without good stuffing a Thanksgiving dinner is sub par at best. We had great stuffing from a family recipe. I know it included bread that was aged to perfection (let it sit out for days) sausage, and a mix of great spices. My sister and Mom still use it.

And if anyone suggests putting raisins in turkey stuffing they should be banded forever from the Other Other Topics Forum. Or at least shot.

-Zeno

astroglide
11-21-2004, 06:41 PM
deep fried or turducken, google for them and then search here for threads that have discussed them already

ThaSaltCracka
11-21-2004, 06:44 PM
yeah I also recommend either deep frying it, or BBQ it over some charcoals.

HDPM
11-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Turkey has no place at a holiday table IMO. It is for crappy sandwiches during the year when you are thinking of eating something that will clog your arteries slower than a decent sandwich with good cold cuts. Nasty vile dry ass POS bird. Feh.

Finally this year we don't have to go to any family members' house. No friends' house. No family arguments, no houses where they parcel out $14/bottle rancid scotch like it's liquid gold and you have to tase the secret family recipe for okra and oyster jello with grit that senile aunt Mable loved so much before her demise. I am going to sit on my fat American ass at my home and eat standing rib roast and drink good cabernet after getting my fill of good whisky during the football game. There is my recipe for thanksgiving bliss. Have it at your house with a very limited guest list, serve beef and good booze. Ah. No F'in turkey. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Edge34
11-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Isn't turducken one of those insane Madden creations, with the duck inside a chicken inside the turkey?

dogsballs
11-21-2004, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah I also recommend either deep frying it, or BBQ it over some charcoals.

[/ QUOTE ]

How'd you BBQ it? My gf is insiting on turkey, so I said only if we BBQ it. ...I just haven't got a clue, except maybe to hack it down the middle and splay it.

Any better tips than this?

sfer
11-21-2004, 10:13 PM
For a standard turkey, brining works well.

Zeno
11-21-2004, 10:14 PM
You can BBQ Turkey much like you do chicken.

-Zeno

OrangeHeat
11-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Deep fired. Tried it last year and will never roast one again.

Something about the very real possibility of burning your arm off in a gigantic grease fire makes it interesting.

Orange

Zeno
11-21-2004, 10:18 PM
I'm humbled and in awe of such a throughly rancid and misanthropic post. Excellent job. I'm downing a stiff Maker's Mark in Salute.

By the way, HDPM (& HDPW)- Happy Thanksgiving! /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Zeno

Ray Zee
11-22-2004, 01:28 AM
put it in the oven like everyone has done for centuries. whats wrong with you.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you put on a tray I believe. Maybe check out Webers website for recipes?

dogsballs
11-22-2004, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never BBQ'd chicken either. I'll try the weber site cracka mentioned.

For anyone who plans sprouts (is that traditional?), we just had my new favourite way tonight: toss 'em in olive oil, grind on salt and pepper and roast em for 40-50 mins in a baking tray, not along with the bird. They roast much better.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 02:29 AM
if you can't find anything, let me know, I can get you a recipe.

Ray Zee
11-22-2004, 02:33 AM
hey dogparts. if you are talking brussel sprouts then yea its a great way of making them. i love them roasted.
steaming them makes the whole house stink. worse than skunk cabbage

dogsballs
11-22-2004, 02:44 AM
yeah, brussel sprouts I meant. Carrots and parsnips; all those hard veggies go good that way too. Roast em separate.

Blarg
11-22-2004, 03:36 AM
I thought I was the only guy who liked brussel sprouts. You can't even find them in some stores. I love them, though.

Regarding turkey...brine it.

Anyone who doesn't like turkey, I can't understand. Maybe they've never had it done by someone who can cook even remotely decently, I don't know. I can eat it by the fistful, day after day, if I get the chance.

Boris
11-22-2004, 03:59 AM
are you having the tofu turkey again this year?

Boris
11-22-2004, 04:05 AM
Zeno I know its not glamorous but thost turkey in a bag things work pretty well. I dont recommend the traditional roasting without experienced supervision. It will come out dry.

Ray Zee
11-22-2004, 11:45 AM
yea boris, vegi thanksgiving again. its really just as good.
and the leftovers are great as well. plus the wild turkeys that hang around out in the yard trust me more knowing that i dont have a taste for them. they told me so.

The once and future king
11-22-2004, 12:02 PM
I wish I could spend Christmas like this. Spending the whole day drinking quality beer/wine/malt and smoking some fine herb whilst perpetua snaking on fine cheeses and cold meats, having a Mcfaddens Steak for dinner.

Instead I am going to the GF's parents house. My GF's sister will be there. She has young children aged 2 anf 5.
Noooooooooooooooooooooo.

P.s. I am Brit, we dont do thanksgiving, but traditionaly do turkey on Christmas day.

astroglide
11-22-2004, 12:07 PM
are you a vegetarian? vegan? how long?

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 12:10 PM
serious question, do you guys do anything similar to Thanksgiving? I realize that Thanksgiving is an American holiday, but is there a comparable one in England? You know, like the day Henry VIII killed his third wife or something.

The once and future king
11-22-2004, 12:38 PM
No.

We only do Christmas. I cant think of any holidays specific to the UK. Given that weve had 2000+ years of invasions, wars beheadings etc etc that seems a little off.

The bastiche victorian industralists probably banned them all.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 12:39 PM
we like dumb holidays over here.

turnipmonster
11-22-2004, 12:58 PM
ray, tell me you are not having a tofurkey. I have been a vegetarian for 10 years and hate those things. not a big fan of the whole fake meat thing in general.

--turnipmonster

Zeno
11-23-2004, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
whats wrong with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

More than just a few things, according to many people, Mr. Zee. But that never bothers me.

Listening to John Prine's 'Aimless Love' album.

It's very good and you should get it. Easy and smooth with great lyrics. Perfect for a wintery Montana evening lazing about the home or for accompaniment driving home from a fishing trip.

-Zeno

Blarg
11-23-2004, 01:29 AM
"Tofurkey" -- LOL. Jeez, that does sound sad.

Ray Zee
11-23-2004, 02:19 AM
astro and turnip, i am not a vegitarian. but eat mostly like one with bouts of animal products of all kinds thrown in. average day has no meat though. things taste better without it. and when i do its not bacon or fatty stuff.
most of the fake meat isnt great. but having a tofu dog or something like that is fine and tasty. tempeh is good. try that.
i will have all the trimmings without the bird. he will likely be out my front window eating little dried cherries from some kind of japenese cherry tree that has thousands of them on it all winter for the birds and deer that can reach them.