PDA

View Full Version : Who's Been to Korea?

lu_hawk
11-19-2004, 12:59 AM
I will be there for 3 weeks in January for business. Has anyone been out there before? My personal situation is that I'm in my early 20's and single so I'm looking to have a good time, I'm not sure how busy I will be while I am there but I will have some time to myself.

Non_Comformist
11-19-2004, 01:03 AM
I was there a year while in the Army. It's a pretty fun place. Many bars, tons of knock off clothing, shoes etc to buy, and depending on how you feel about it many a good time to be purchased.

btw, just in case carry condoms.

Malone Brown
11-19-2004, 01:09 AM
I've lived in Seoul now for about 6 months. It's a great place to live and visit. Just let me know if you have any specific questions.
Malone

ArchAngel71857
11-19-2004, 02:28 AM
be sure to bring any shirts you don't want that have stuff written in English. Apparently it sells for mucho money in Asia.

-AA

Blarg
11-19-2004, 02:54 AM
They go crazy for UCLA shirts in Japan. Japanese tourists spend huge amounts of money for anything with UCLA written on it here. There might be some college that has that kind of resonance in Korea, who knows. Shirts with specific locations tied to them are always great. I remember when I first came to Calfornia from Hawaii, everyone was always offering to buy my t-shirts that had said anything about Hawaii on them at all.

ThaSaltCracka
11-19-2004, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They go crazy for UCLA shirts in Japan. Japanese tourists spend huge amounts of money for anything with UCLA written on it here. There might be some college that has that kind of resonance in Korea, who knows. Shirts with specific locations tied to them are always great. I remember when I first came to Calfornia from Hawaii, everyone was always offering to buy my t-shirts that had said anything about Hawaii on them at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf?

Blarg
11-19-2004, 03:27 AM
People just love t-shirts from other countries or what seem to them far away or exotic places. I doubt Koreans are any different than anyone else that way. A simple "exotic" t-shirt often makes a great gift. When I used to go visit my folks back in Hawaii on college breaks, I used to bring back Hawaiian themed junk to college and people went absolutely nuts for it.

Malone Brown
11-19-2004, 03:31 AM
Clothing they sell here has more English written on it than Korean, Japan is similar. No one will offer to buy the clothes off your back. I can go down to any market here and buy a UCLA jacket/t-shirt for 20 bucks. Also the malls here have many genuine Western stores (CK, Polo, Ralph Lauren, Abercrombie and Fitch, etc).

Blarg
11-19-2004, 03:35 AM
Guess it's different from Japan, then. At the UCLA student store, Japanese tourists would come and buy stacks of UCLA wear to take back home, but I haven't been in college for years. By now they can probably download licensed designs off the net and print them instantly in the farthest regions of Mongolia.

bonanz
11-19-2004, 04:06 AM
Japan is somewhat like that. I used to live in japan and you could sell your old jeans and clothes for a very nice price. and there were small stores that were basically stocked by someone taking a trip to the states, buying a bunch of clothes, and coming back and stocking their little store with stuff. so i can imagine the ucla giftshop thing, although i don't believe it's anything specific to ucla. i lived there about 5 years ago so things may have changed.

i've been to korea also, but very limited. and you can get a rolex a gucci bag and a polo sweater for the price of dinner /images/graemlins/wink.gif so i don't know why they'd wanna buy your crap /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Demana
11-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Check out the barber shops and if you go to a club, you will go home with a chick.

theBruiser500
11-19-2004, 11:29 AM
How many people speak English in Korea?

daryn
11-19-2004, 11:30 AM

sfer
11-19-2004, 01:07 PM
I was born there. I can hook you up with some of my cute cousins for a fee. PM me whether you prefer guys or girls. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jakethebake
11-19-2004, 01:09 PM
The mian thing I remember about Korea is that the whole country smells funny. From the time you get off the plane there's a really odd smell there. Maybe it's the open sewers and kimchi together...

Beerfund
11-19-2004, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The mian thing I remember about Korea is that the whole country smells funny. From the time you get off the plane there's a really odd smell there. Maybe it's the open sewers and kimchi together...

[/ QUOTE ]

its the fukcin shyt filled rice fields. and just hearing the word kimchi makes me dry heave, how the hell do people eat that shyt?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Beerfund
11-19-2004, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check out the barber shops and if you go to a club, you will go home with a chick.

[/ QUOTE ]

best haircut you'll ever get /images/graemlins/wink.gif

andyfox
11-19-2004, 01:59 PM
I spent a week in Seoul. There was a big convention when I checked into my hotel. When I got into the elevator, I thought it was a bad breath convention. Two days later, I was an attendee myself. No amount or brand of mouthwash will help.

Nice wide streets, interesting shopping, nice people, a fun place.

sfer
11-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Kimchi is awesome.

sfer
11-19-2004, 02:08 PM
I hear having an overdeveloped sense of smell is a symptom of long term sleep deprivation.

Malone Brown
11-19-2004, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kimchi is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sick, sick bastard.

theBruiser500
11-19-2004, 10:16 PM
okay daryn that was a seirously lame answer. obviously the intent of my question is to discern if no one there speaks english, if just a few people do, if half the people do, if the majority of the people do - to get a general idea. so in conclusion, your post is was dumb.

Malone Brown
11-19-2004, 10:22 PM
There is quite a bit of English down here. Most younger Koreans speak english fairly well, it's the older Koreans that have no desire to speak it. You can easily get around without knowing how to speak any Korean.

Malone Brown
11-19-2004, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check out the barber shops

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the ones downstairs though! Unless you're into that sort of thing. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Blarg
11-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Kimchi IS awesome. But it sure does come out in your sweat and in your breath no matter what you do or how often you bathe. Your pits will smell like a dog died in them.

Koreans were derisively referred to as "The Garlic Eaters" by other Asians, and there's a well-earned reason. I like Kimchi, and garlic is extremely good for you...but...fermented cabbage cured in garlic does have pretty nasty after-effects. I remember P.J. O'Rourke's article about Korea in which he talked about "throat-searing kimchi burps and pants-splitting kimchi farts," and as much as I like the stuff he's right.

I generally only eat Kimchi on a weekend when I know I won't be bumping into anyone.

Non_Comformist
11-19-2004, 10:56 PM
I hate the smell of that crap. For a year our cooks insisted on putting the Kimchi right next to the jello in the salad bar every single day. Of course there is going to be spill over. For a year I went Jello-less. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Malone Brown
11-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Galbi, now that's good Korean food.

Malone Brown
11-19-2004, 11:26 PM
speaking of smelling terrible, I had my first experience last night with a Korean dog meat market. It was the most terrible smelling and most disturbing thing I've ever seen in my life. I can understand that this is part of their culture, but it made me want to knock out every Korean at that market.

Blarg
11-20-2004, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate the smell of that crap. For a year our cooks insisted on putting the Kimchi right next to the jello in the salad bar every single day. Of course there is going to be spill over. For a year I went Jello-less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, yeah, leave a jar of that stuff open in your refrigerator and you'll have to throw out everything, including the refrigerator.

Beerfund
11-20-2004, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate the smell of that crap. For a year our cooks insisted on putting the Kimchi right next to the jello in the salad bar every single day. Of course there is going to be spill over. For a year I went Jello-less. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, they did the same [censored] to us, everything smelled and tasted like kimchi. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
11-20-2004, 12:42 AM
korean bbq is the greatest thing ever. that is all.

bxpeter
11-20-2004, 02:01 AM
Clubbing in Korea is REALLY expensive. They have a thing called booking where the guys get tables... and the girls who go to the club (normal girls, not employees) move from table to table meeting guys. and gathering free drinks and what not in the process.

Korea does smell funny. Kimchi is awesome. Korean BBQ is aweesome.