PDA

View Full Version : ex-tennis star kafelnikov to become professional poker player

mike l.
11-15-2004, 08:06 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten

djack
11-15-2004, 09:22 PM
This is rich.

glen
11-15-2004, 09:47 PM
This will be great for poker if he does not bust out in the first couple of months. . . .

daryn
11-15-2004, 09:50 PM
is this even laughable? it's totally feasible that he is skilled in poker.

glen
11-15-2004, 10:04 PM
No, I'm sure he is skilled, and even if he's not, I'm sure he will be very, very good in a short period of time since he is a pro athlete/ mental warrior. but, lots of superstars often think they are world beaters too soon at whatever they choose to pursue. The recently deceased Sang Lee, 12 time U.S. three cushion billiard champ, played billiards like GOD, but lost a lot at poker playing big. I think when one is so revered for one thing he does, he must believe he can do lots of things just as well if he wanted to. . . .

Sundevils21
11-15-2004, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, I'm sure he is skilled, and even if he's not, I'm sure he will be very, very good in a short period of time since he is a pro athlete/ mental warrior. but, lots of superstars often think they are world beaters too soon at whatever they choose to pursue. The recently deceased Sang Lee, 12 time U.S. three cushion billiard champ, played billiards like GOD, but lost a lot at poker playing big. I think when one is so revered for one thing he does, he must believe he can do lots of things just as well if he wanted to. . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

"The West Wing" is a show full of pretty good actors and they seem so smart. When they played Celebrity poker though, smart isn't exactly the word I would use to describe the way they played.
For some reason, I actually thought they would be semi decent players. I was wrong.

Sponger15SB
11-15-2004, 10:29 PM
yeah but unlike the west wing, this tennis guy actually played poker more than 2x in his whole life.

eric5148
11-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Did I miss something? The article just said he was going to play a poker tournament. It never said he wanted to be a full time pro.

Robk
11-16-2004, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did I miss something?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah apparently the 1st sentence /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

J.Brown
11-16-2004, 01:42 AM
I have actually heard that he can play stud very well, but it is escaping me how I heard this and from who.

I used to be a tennis player (not even close to that level, but I could definetly beat Mason) and someone in Europe played with him a few years ago.

I am sure he is starting with a very large bankroll and should be just fine, it will be interesting to see. Although I do find it strange to "announce" you are going pro in poker. How about just play and win.......isn't that the thing most people do, LOL. cheers. J.

thirddan
11-16-2004, 02:39 AM
there is a post about this in the WPT forum, called the next Vince van patton or seomthing similar...there is a link to a bunch of tourneys in russia where is doing quite well...

scrub
11-16-2004, 03:09 AM
I've played a bit with Alan Hopkins, and he is also a pretty notorious poker loser...

scrub

BeerMoney
11-16-2004, 02:42 PM
I've heard Kafelnikov is kind of a dick.. He seems like he'd be a grinder though.. I think he made a ton of money playing tennis. I think he played way more tourney's than anyone else during his time.

Boris
11-16-2004, 02:57 PM
One thing we know for sure: There will be lots more hottie poker groupies.

turnipmonster
11-16-2004, 03:09 PM
if there's any clear path to consistently winning money in poker, it's playing tournaments. lol.

--turnipmonster