PDA

View Full Version : electric shavers

astroglide
10-23-2004, 06:59 PM
i used to shave with a mach3 turbo. it worked fine if i shaved every 2-3 days or so, any quicker than that and i would burn up my face. so i'd run a little stubble, no big deal. but it becomes a big deal when i have events or whatever and i have to time my shaving.

so i looked at consumerreports which said norelco makes the best, so i got the best wet shaver (7775x i believe) and i've been using it (like 2x a week). it burns up my neck pretty bad but i learned today that less pressure is needed for certain things. my take on it is that it cuts really well when it finds hair, but sometimes it just doesn't. this is the in the shower model, you use it with shaving cream (i use my own instead of their expensive cartridges).

but i don't use it any more often than my razor, which was the point i think. i'm still not sold on the idea and the m3 power looks pretty interesting. it's just that shaving is such a goddamn production. what do you think in general? are there any good dry electrics maybe?

Ed Miller
10-23-2004, 07:03 PM
i used to shave with a mach3 turbo. it worked fine if i shaved every 2-3 days or so, any quicker than that and i would burn up my face. so i'd run a little stubble, no big deal. but it becomes a big deal when i have events or whatever and i have to time my shaving.

I use Mach3 and have exactly the same stubble timing issues. Just thought it was funny because it's one of those, "It never occurred to me other people have exactly this problem," things.

ThaSaltCracka
10-23-2004, 07:07 PM
I use to shave with electrics and I couldn't stand them. They gave me wicked razor burn and tended to pull the hairs rather than cut them. I really like razors now, they just give me a closer shave without any irritation. I use the new Mach 3 that vibrates. It seems to help when my stubble is longer than usual(like sunday night or monday morning). I don't think I will ever go back to shaving with an electric.

ThaSaltCracka
10-23-2004, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I use Mach3 and have exactly the same stubble timing issues. Just thought it was funny because it's one of those, "It never occurred to me other people have exactly this problem," things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I shave even less than that simply because I hate shaving, not because of any burning issues.

Cerril
10-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Uh, ditto. I've been having shaving dilemmas lately since I'm about to start a new job (to appease family and, as I explain to friends, to break up the monotony of better-paying poker) and would like to find any way to make that part of my day/week less of a hassle.

daryn
10-23-2004, 07:10 PM
i go quattro style, but then again i only shave like once a week. i'd hate to shave every day w/ it.

ThaSaltCracka
10-23-2004, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i go quattro style, but then again i only shave like once a week. i'd hate to shave every day w/ it.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I wasn't to young to grow a beard and look normal with one I probably would grow one because I hate shaving that much.

bugstud
10-23-2004, 07:13 PM
I use a remington dry one that works well

astroglide
10-23-2004, 07:22 PM
yeah i skip because of that too

astroglide
10-23-2004, 07:23 PM
when i bought it i was wondering why there aren't electric razors for rich people, at least i'm not aware of any. you can spend tens of thousands on speaker cable but you still have to shave like everybody else? doesn't quite make sense. where are the $500+ bomb electrics?

Cerril
10-23-2004, 07:26 PM
You know, about most things I'm a cheapy, but for computers and beds I've always figured that the investment in absolute dollars is far, far outweighed by the gain considering the time spent.

Something to make shaving painless and quick might actually make my list of 'things not worth skimping on'

Blarg
10-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Well, you have to clean the blades of electrics regularly, because they gum up with hair and dried skin and then you have to go over the same patch of skin too many times or maybe press on the shaver a bit, which irritates. So keep an electric clean, and if the blade gets dull after a while, change it.

I've owned numerous Norelcos, and the quality has gone down on those.

The best shavers are the ones that look more like a cigarette pack, as opposed to those with the three heads in a broad flat pattern. You can be more precise with them, and the angled nature of them makes it easier to wedge an angle of the cutting surface into, say, a tiny spot under your nose to get those last wayward hairs. Get a model with the side-trimmers built in -- good for keeping sideburns sharply cut.

I got a very nice rechargeable Panasonic that's wet/dry and waterproof. That's the way to go, because shaving in the shower is a nice option and very fast -- your beard is softer from the heat and water, and clean up is so easy. You don't need shaving cream...maybe a little soap if you like.

The Panasonics are much better and more reliable than the Norelcos, which I used to burn through fairly quickly(they just wouldn't start anymore after a while). I forget the model I have, but it cost about 40 or 50 bucks. Well worth it. Much faster than using a regular razor.

Norelco used to have a lifetime guarantee, but then a guy bought them out and put himself in t.v. commercials saying he liked the product so much he bought the company. But, he immediately discontinued that guarantee, and immediately the Norelcos really plunged in quality. They didn't get notably cheaper though.

Porcupine
10-23-2004, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use a remington dry one that works well

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one? I just got a Remington Titanium MS2 250 and I've quicky decided it is the worst electric I've ever had.

I'm considering ditching electrics and trying razors, as I haven't been at all satisfied with my last couple electrics.

bugstud
10-23-2004, 07:55 PM
one of the TCT line, I forget how recent, the three headed type

Ulysses
10-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Braun.

benfranklin
10-23-2004, 08:16 PM
I never liked the Mach 3, and get a much better shave with a cheap Bic. You have to find whatever works best for you. Even with a regular electric, you may find a preshave lotion helps.

The secret of a good blade shave is to keep your whiskers wet. Use water as hot as you can stand. Wash your face with regular soap and rinse. Then wash again with regular soap, but leave the soap on your face. Put shaving cream on over the soap, let it stand for a minute, and then shave.

Lawrence Ng
10-23-2004, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but i don't use it any more often than my razor, which was the point i think. i'm still not sold on the idea and the m3 power looks pretty interesting. it's just that shaving is such a goddamn production. what do you think in general? are there any good dry electrics maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use nice double bladed axe to shave...

Eihli
10-23-2004, 08:26 PM
i stopped shaving two weeks ago. hasn't bene a problem for me since i don't have a job. hopefully a beard will be less upkeep than shaving.

cnfuzzd
10-23-2004, 10:05 PM
one of my pretentious friends used to have a really expensive electric they got from here, (http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productview.jhtml?pid=676205033&pcatid=3&catid=301 &catpage=1) i think. Might be worth a go

peace

john nickle

Ray Zee
10-23-2004, 10:07 PM
i got 40 plus years of using the dumb things. the remington rectangular head is the best for longer hairs like if you dont shave every day. forget about ones with batteries. the new ones have cheap slow motors so the noise is less. you also get a sh--ty shave. the norelco three head works good for short hairs and baby faced kids that shave every day. the ones that are a few years old are much better. replace the batteries and keep them forever. plus you get to learn how to soldier. seems to be a lost art. the new ones are crap.
i still use a 20 year old remington when i miss a day or the norelco when i want to be pretty.

razor
10-24-2004, 02:55 AM
I am currently using Mach3 Turbo blades(I haven't tried Quattros yet). NO WAY I'd go back to using anything less... even the difference between the regular & Turbo Mach3 is significant. However, also important is the shave cream...

Until a couple years ago I was using the standard drugstore gel crap... Then I tried Body Shop shaving cream, much better shave... At the beginning of this year I started using Zirh products (Prepare, Shave Cream & Soothe) and the quality of shave is even better. NO WAY, I go back to anything less. However, I don't know how much using better (and more expensive) shave cream will help with razor burn since I hate shaving and only shave 2-3 times a week. But I suspect it would, as I experience much less irritation then I did previously.

Zirh products are available online (www.zirh.com (http://www.zirh.com)) and various B&M stores (in Canada they are available at The Bay).

B Dids
10-24-2004, 03:02 AM
What I found helped shaving a lot, was getting one of those brushes and soap deals. That stuff works loads better than regular shaving cream.

I also have the benefit of being super blonde, so I can avoid shaving for a week if I want to.

Senor Choppy
10-24-2004, 05:22 AM
I thought the quattro was conceived of in a manner similar to this (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:LMgnUowCJt8J:www.theonion.com/opinion.php%3Fi%3D1%26o%3D1+"doing+five+blades"&hl=en), but after my wife bought me one I find it actually does a much better job than the Mach 3.

Give it a shot; it's a cheap experiment even if you hate it.

Rick Nebiolo
10-24-2004, 06:25 AM
I can't stand electrics.

One trick I use while shaving is to always have two razors. One is in the basin rinsing while I shave a few strokes with the other. Then pick up the other one and drop the one you were using in the hot water. This helps dislodge the clogs and stuff.

Currently use the Gillete Mach 3 but not the Turbo. Is the Turbo really that much better and can it be immersed in water?

~ Rick

PS Was surprised Zee used electrics. Thought he would have used a knife or something. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

razor
10-24-2004, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the Turbo really that much better

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so.

hutz
10-24-2004, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Braun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow -- all these answers and only one of y'all gets it right. I wouldn't expect anything else from the great El Diablo given his primo choice of sports teams (primarily those from Houston). Some day in the future cars will fly and there will be a simple "rub on and wipe off" cream that lets guys shave in under thirty seconds without pain. Until then, I recommend using a Braun razor.

Monkeyslacks
10-24-2004, 11:21 AM
The aggravations of shaving. I've spent significant time and money investigating this problem. The best shaves are done by the pros. I've been here (http://www.groominglounge.com/) a few times. These people really know how to shave and they use the mach 3 style razors. If you've never had a professional shave, I recomend you give it a try.

Keys:

1. hot water/steam to soften hair
2. clean, sharp razor
3. shaving balm(not shaving cream)(Beard Lube is a good product)
4. when finished, rinse face with cold water to seal pores and don't use alcohol based aftershave
5. always use a clean towel

Clarkmeister
10-24-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Braun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

astroglide
10-24-2004, 04:43 PM
Among men's foil models, the Braun Flex Integral 6520 performed nearly as well as the Syncro System 7570, costs less, and is easier to grip. Both have been discontinued, but the similar Syncro System 7680, $200, and Flex Integral 5441, $115, should perform comparably.

cr likes braun too but not for wet

scalf
10-24-2004, 07:54 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif zee

just when is it ya gotta look pretty??

do you really think the sheep care??

gl

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

HDPM
10-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Electrics don't work. And I envy you guys who can go 3 days without shaving. It would drive me nuts and shaving would hurt worse. get good blades and good shaving cream. Here's a link. web page (http://www.greenpond.com/)

I favor the george trumper stuff. I haven't tried a $150 brush, I just slop good shaving cream on.

elwoodblues
10-25-2004, 10:04 AM
I gave up on electric razors a few years ago. I gave up on shaving cream a few years ago as well. Just shave in the shower with a good blade and use soap. I used to get razor burn a lot (both with electric and basin/shaving cream), now it isn't a problem at all. I think the key is the hot shower.

vulturesrow
10-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Google Electric Razor Rap. They have a message board devoted to this subject.

sfer
10-25-2004, 11:01 AM
A friend loves the Panasonic Linear whatever. Swears by it, actually.