PDA

View Full Version : Hawks/Pats pregame

Toro
10-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Ok, it looks like we're all avoiding talking about the big game for fear of jinxing our favorite team. But I haven't said much because I just can't get a good read on this year's Patriots. Sure they beat Indy, but they just haven't really impressed me other than winning.

Of course this was the discussion up in these parts all last year. They just don't get many style points while winning game after game after game.

So, I guess I'd rather hear about Seattle. Don't know a thing about them other than their QB is a former BC grad who I was never really impressed with but recently heard some talking head say he was the 4th best QB in the league.

Is he really that good and can he get it done vs. a Belicheck defense or maybe this isn't even the key to the game? What exactly do the Seahawks need to do to stop the Patriots win streak at 19?

Toro
10-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Cmon, I thought at least Salty would reply to this. You're not all ascared, are you?

Josh W
10-16-2004, 12:46 PM
The biggest difference for New England this year is NOT Corey Dillon...it's the absence of Ted Washington. NE is definitely suceptible to a solid running game, as Edgerrin James showed in week 1.

Since then, NE hasn't really faced a good run. Seattle will test them, with Shaun Alexander. Seattle will need to try to control the clock, and work to keep Tom Brady and Co. off the field.

On the other side of the ball, Seattle is a little small on defense, but very quick. This means that Seattle will probably benefit from a healthy Corey Dillon, as they'll have a more difficult time stopping Antowaine Smith. With the passing game, Seattle may not have the depth in the secondary to match up with a lot of spread formations. Lucas and Trufant can likely match up with Givens and Patten, but can they match up with the 3 and 4 WR sets? Also, as much as I love Ken Hamlin, I think he'll struggle trying to stay with Daniel Graham. If Seattle has to blitz to get pressure on Brady, Brady will be able to slice and dice the secondary apart. As such, Seattle will have to be able to put pressure on the Q without blitzing to be successful on Defense.

It will, of course, be a good game. I think it will come down to Seattles WRs dropping passes. If they drop passes, drives will stall, regardless of the running game. Also, with NEs strong, swarming defense, dropped passes will be picked too easily. If the WR catch the ball, Seattle will win by a FG. If they don't, NE will win by 7.

Or, this is all coming outta my arse...

Josh

Dominic
10-16-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm sorry, but did you really say you can't get a good read on the Pats? They win 19 in a row and you can't get a good read on them??

Toro
10-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Actually, you've hit on an area that is one of my biggest worries, run defense. The rookie, Wilfork appears to be coming on though as he had a real good game against Buffalo.

But you are right about Ted Washington. Last year we didn't worry about the run at all with him in the middle and teams stopped trying. This was a huge advantage as Belicheck would sometimes use 6 defensive backs. Tough to pass against that.

Toro
10-16-2004, 01:30 PM
On this years team. This years team hasn't won 19 in a row, only 4 in a row against 3 vs mediocre opponents. And like I said in my original post, they never get style points. Brady for example didn't complete a pass in the 2nd half last week.

ThaSaltCracka
10-16-2004, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cmon, I thought at least Salty would reply to this. You're not all ascared, are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. the key to this game will be Seattles running game. if they are effective it will only open up the passing game even more. I think the score will be close, but I will of course say Seattle wins 21-18.

Joe Tall
10-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Pats get out fast to nurse my hangover.

daryn
10-17-2004, 02:39 PM
hey me too.

suck it saltcracka! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Lazymeatball
10-17-2004, 03:11 PM
time to switch bandwagons New Englander's

daryn
10-17-2004, 03:14 PM
come on, you know me... pats were my team even when they were the laughingstock of the NFL. why wouldn't they be? i mean, i know some people like to jump on a great team 3,000 miles away, but i don't roll like that /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lazymeatball
10-17-2004, 03:17 PM
post not directed at anyone in particular

daryn
10-17-2004, 03:19 PM
mine was

ThaSaltCracka
10-17-2004, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hey me too.

suck it saltcracka! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, yeah tough game for the Hawks. If they hadn't of played so poorely in the first half, who knows how this game would have gone.

Pats D was tough today.

daryn
10-17-2004, 04:26 PM
i was actually a tiny bit worried (shhhh) near the end

Toro
10-17-2004, 04:29 PM
Bravo Seahawks, valiant effort. The Patriots will all be sore next week. Unbelievable hitting. Hawks just need to find some receivers who can catch the football.

ThaSaltCracka
it was a good game though. Both teams weaknesses were somewhat exposed. That catch was simply amazing and I was hoping the replay would show something nice, but alas, he had it the whole way.

nolanfan34
[ QUOTE ]
i was actually a tiny bit worried (shhhh) near the end

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to whisper. We could hear the collective New England states holding their breath when Brady threw that long pass on 3rd down, and then letting out a big sigh, all the way here in Washington.

Uston
10-17-2004, 04:47 PM
That catch was simply amazing

Your quarterback disagrees. If I read his lips correctly, his response to the catch was "That was so bogus".

ThaSaltCracka
10-17-2004, 04:53 PM
I thought he said Bull, but whatever, the catch was legit.

lastchance
10-17-2004, 06:01 PM
The Patriots are still the best team in football, and the Seahawks are merely a good one. I think they have 3 division games coming up, and that's when we'll see how good this team is. This t a bad loss, not like the debacle last week. Hawks showed heart and toughness, as well as how much the WRs need to cawasn'tch the ball... Still think they either win the NL West or get the Wild Card, solid 10-11 win team, as for the Patriots, they should lock up a playoff spot easy, though I don't know how good the Jets are yet.

Toro
10-17-2004, 07:56 PM
I think the Jets are probably a little bit of a fraud team. We'll find out next week and I'll be there at the Razor with the big group that does this one game every year.

We have this catering company that does all the post game spreads for the Red Sox meet us in the Parking lot. They put on like a 5 course meal with fine wine or beer or whatever you want. Can't wait.