PDA

View Full Version : any good needle lines?

LotharOfTheHillPeople
10-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Fairly typical goofy loose aggressive CA 40/80 game. Two limpers in, then loose aggresive older asian woman raises. She typically raises any Ax from any position. She often calls a raise with that holding as well. It gets folded to me in the BB. I call with AJd. Normally, this is an instant muck for me, but since there is a very good chance I have her dominated I decide to gamble this time. The other two limpers call. The flop is J73, with the 73 of diamonds. I flopped top pair with the nut flush draw. I check, because I am 100% positive she will bet. Her play was so bad, but what made it worse was how predictable it was. As predicted, she bet the flop. I raised and cleared the other two out. Then, she grabbed chips as if to reraise, then she paused deliberately and called. I later realized what the nature of that dramatic presentation was. It was supposed to look like a smooth call. The turn was a ugly 5. I bet out again, and now she raised. At this point I assumed she did have me beat and I just got tooled by a smooth call on the flop. I assumed she had an over pair, a set, or at worst the same hand I did (but without the redraw). I knew there was a possibility I was beat, but since I had the redraw I figure I had to lead out on the turn. Feel free to comment on the turn. I couldn't muster the craziness to reraise, so I just call. The river was a black 6, making the final board J7563. I checked, she bet, and since I just had to see it I called. She had pocket fours. And she didn't have the four of diamonds. Thereby, her only outs were 1 four and 3 sixes. My question is what is the appropriate thing to say to her as she is stacking my chips? She played so many hands and sucked out so many of them I felt a little needling might help to keep her from getting so out of line. Your thoughts?

PapaDeuce
10-13-2004, 03:29 PM
well played, dear. nice hand

pudley4
10-13-2004, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fairly typical goofy loose aggressive CA 40/80 game. Two limpers in, then loose aggresive older asian woman raises. She typically raises any Ax from any position. She often calls a raise with that holding as well. It gets folded to me in the BB. I call with AJd. Normally, this is an instant muck for me, but since there is a very good chance I have her dominated I decide to gamble this time. The other two limpers call. The flop is J73, with the 73 of diamonds. I flopped top pair with the nut flush draw. I check, because I am 100% positive she will bet. Her play was so bad, but what made it worse was how predictable it was. As predicted, she bet the flop. I raised and cleared the other two out. Then, she grabbed chips as if to reraise, then she paused deliberately and called. I later realized what the nature of that dramatic presentation was. It was supposed to look like a smooth call. The turn was a ugly 5. I bet out again, and now she raised. At this point I assumed she did have me beat and I just got tooled by a smooth call on the flop. I assumed she had an over pair, a set, or at worst the same hand I did (but without the redraw). I knew there was a possibility I was beat, but since I had the redraw I figure I had to lead out on the turn. Feel free to comment on the turn. I couldn't muster the craziness to reraise, so I just call. The river was a black 6, making the final board J7563. I checked, she bet, and since I just had to see it I called. She had pocket fours. And she didn't have the four of diamonds. Thereby, her only outs were 1 four and 3 sixes. My question is what is the appropriate thing to say to her as she is stacking my chips? She played so many hands and sucked out so many of them I felt a little needling might help to keep her from getting so out of line. Your thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You played the hand terribly. Your thought process is also terrible.

meow_meow
10-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Yes, you definitely want to keep her from "getting out of line" again. Good idea.
Also, whatever you say to her is really going to sting as she's stacking your chips....

LotharOfTheHillPeople
10-13-2004, 03:41 PM
I appreciate the thoughts. What's the analysis? I'm trying to learn. Details please.

Nate tha' Great
10-13-2004, 03:58 PM
Problems with this post in inverse order of importance:

3) No paragraphs;
2) You pick up an obvious strong-means-weak tell on the flop, and then completely forget about it on the turn;
1a) You appear to be emotionally impacted by the bad beat;
1b) As a result, you appear to want to discourage your opponent from playing stupidly.

mike l.
10-13-2004, 04:04 PM
your asking the wrong question. the question would be to ask yourself how you can grow some balls and learn to reraise the turn there.

PokerDork
10-13-2004, 04:21 PM
I think you definitely shouldve reraised preflop. First the reraise may get you heads up with an "inferior" player which is good agaisnt a hand you think you dominate. Secondly you probably have the best hand, so even if both limpers stick around pushing your equity is a good idea. I'd probably check-raise the flop here too, but I would probably reraise the turn, according to your analysis, I would think a hand like A4s, A5s, and indeed 44 are more likely here than a made hand considering your read. Of course when the river came I'd probably check and call, but you should've played the rest of the hand a lot more aggressively

Michael Emery
10-13-2004, 05:07 PM
From the way it sounds you should have 3 bet preflop to get it heads-up. AJ preflop sounds like the nuts against this kind of raiser.

Mike Emery

Robk
10-13-2004, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I call with AJd. Normally, this is an instant muck for me, but since there is a very good chance I have her dominated I decide to gamble this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are playing way too tight in this situation (and probably others). This is a clear play (most likely a reraise) and many weaker hands are correct to play. Not as serious a problem as others pointed out but still a big leak. Pick up a good book or 2.

Tyler Durden
10-13-2004, 06:09 PM
I like to tell the person that just sucked out on me that they're wasting their time in this game and they should be playing Powerball.

pudley4
10-13-2004, 11:54 PM
The Play:

1 - 3bet preflop. She most likely has crap for a hand, reraise and see if you can get it heads up when you most likely have the best hand.

2 - Bet and 3bet the flop. You have top pair, top kicker and the best draw. I'd even ask if I could 5-bet /images/graemlins/smile.gif

3 - 3bet the turn. You said yourself she's most likely got a crappy A. You're probably in the lead, and if you're not, you have tons of outs.

The Thoughts:

1 - I don't care who's raising, A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif should not be folded from the BB for one bet when you have multiple opponents.

2 - The 5 on the turn is not an ugly card - it most likely missed her, and you still have top pair.

3 - You do not want to say anything to her that might cause her to leave or play better. You want her to keep raising her 4 outers on the turn. You want her to keep betting 3rd pair. You want her to keep coldcalling with Axo.

I know I missed some points, but I'm in the middle of playing right now, and I'm sure others have/will point them out.

SmileyEH
10-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Wow, I don't even really play limit and I know you played this hand horribly.

You have the nut flush draw and you checkraise to thin the field!?!?!

-SmileyEH

Boopotts
10-14-2004, 01:55 AM
Here's one: When someone forgets to three bet top pair on the turn against a maniac I like to remind them to 'pull their skirt up' next time; especially if they also have a 9 outer to the nuts.

Seriously-- and I know this is a bit off topic-- but you played this hand poorly. And I'm not sure if I read your post right, but if you're folding AJs to a raise in the big blind then you're giving up way too much.

Lawrence Ng
10-14-2004, 06:39 AM
First, my eyes hurt cuz there's no paragraphs. Please use paragraphs in the future.

Secondly, a lot of the technical stuff has already been covered. If you want a wider array of answers on different based on what you "think" she might have, don't post the results.

Other than that, wait till you hit puberty where your balls are bigger and you can play this 40-80 game the way you should.

RydenStoompala
10-14-2004, 08:20 AM
I hate to join the beating, but they're right...you played it badly. You did not lose nearly enough money to this lottery whitch. The comment should be "nice hand."