PDA

View Full Version : Should I have folded this hand so close to the bubble?

mblax10
10-11-2004, 04:43 AM
$20 PLHE tournament. 48 players left 45 get paid. I'm in about 10th with just over 20,000 TC. UTG+1 is 2nd or 3rd with about 30,000. He has been playing every other hand, calling most raises cold, and making mini raises when its folded to him.

Blinds 300/600. I have QQ
UTG +1 raises to 1200, Hero raises to 3600 in MP. Folded to UTG +1 who re-raises to 6000.

I decide to re-raise the pot for almost all of my chips. The rest go in on the flop.

Board ended up 9c 2c 7s 3h As, so I don't know how I could've avoided getting all-in by the turn if not sooner.

My queens lose to his kings, and I finish out of the money after being in very good shape. Would it be a big mistake to fold this hand at some point and wait to challenge the big stack after we make the money?

The4thFilm
10-11-2004, 04:47 AM
When he reraises you he's being serious, the big stack isn't going to piss away his stack with crap like AJ to someone who could cripple him.

sourbeaver
10-11-2004, 10:54 AM
If your goal is to get in the money is good shape, I would fold QQ in the face of those raises and reraises, heck I would fold that hand in that spot whatever my goal might be. I agree that playing aggressively on the bubble is a sound strategy since everybody else is expected to tighten up to squeeze into the money, but that does seem like a bit of a gamble to me.

betgo
10-11-2004, 11:11 AM
The facts that your opponent is in early position and is making miniraises rather than pot sized raises imply a big hand. Since he is the big stack, you want to look at how loose aggressive he has been playing.

There are only two hands that beat QQ, so I don't think this is an easy laydown. I would probably play it as you did, but you could fold to the reraise.

DyessMan89
10-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Theres only two hands that beat QQ, I dont see how you could lay it down or put the other guy on KK or AA.

But ... I might have just called his raise instead of re-raising, because there are a lot of hands with help from the flop that can beat QQ. (AK for example)

Although that wouldnt have helped you any haha.

Bottom Line: I dont think you did anything wrong ther.e Tough beat.

fnurt
10-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Well, you absolutely, positively must call the reraise for set value, even if he shows you his hand.

mblax10
10-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Thank you to all who have replied.

I analyzed this hand some more this afternoon at work and am starting to think that next time I may fold to his re-raise pre-flop.

By just calling his re-raise, the only way I'm going to know where I'm at is if I flop a set. If the flop comes rags he'd probably bet out whether he had AK or Kings. If the flop brings an Ace or a King, he would probably take a stab at the pot with Jacks. If I re-raise his flop bet, (am I wrong to assume that my opponent will almost always bet in front of me in this spot.) now I'm committing a good % of my chips not knowing where I'm at (granted I actually committed all of my chips not knowing where I was at, but I'm trying to figure out how to approach it next time.).

The pot is laying me 4 to 1 when I have to call his re-raise. Are the implied odds of doubling up when I do flop a set good enough to justify the many times I will have to fold on the flop and drop down to just another average stack? (I would especially like to hear from fnurt. What am I missing that it is worth calling another 2,400 chips if somehow I am positive my opponent has 2 aces)

It's situations like this that are holding my NL/PL game back. Please let me know if I'm completley off-base with my re-analysis of this hand.