PDA

View Full Version : Check-Raise....

Aloysius
09-23-2004, 12:53 PM
My buddy (RB), an avid poker player, just experienced the check-raise to end all check-raises.

Situation: RB recently started dating this chick, they are verging on sex.
The Goal/Pot - Eventually convincing her to have sex sans condom.

Pre-Flop Action (1st date):
Chick is 1st to act. She checks
RB bets
She calls (they hook up a little, looking good though, pot is right).

Flop Action (2nd date):
Chick checks
RB bets again
She calls (they hook up a lot more, RB verging on sex).

Turn Action (3rd date):
Chick checks
RB bets again (starts talking about sex in general, working his way up to the "no condom" discussion, and eventual condom-less sex).
Chick calls (engages him in said conversation).

River Action (still 3rd date):
Chick checks (conversation still flowing, sex in the air).
RB bets big (starts talking about sex with condoms, how he hates it).
Chick check-raises - "You know, if I were to get pregnant, I would definitely keep the baby, I have a career, I'm older, and it would make sense to do that."

RB folds, knowing she has the winning hand and he'd been betting into the nuts the whole time.

fnurt
09-23-2004, 01:01 PM
If your friend didn't realize until the river where babies come from, I guess it's a good thing he didn't poker.

nothumb
09-23-2004, 01:04 PM
So your buddy's goal was to find a chick he could knock rawhide so long as she would get an abortion when he inevitably knocked her up? Sounds like a classy guy...

The fact that she won't kill the baby is just all the more reason she should take it on the tits...

NT

El Dukie
09-23-2004, 02:11 PM
If your buddy is smart enough to know where babies come from, I assume he's smart enough to know where STDs come from, right?

Though, if he's just after some fun, he can reraise by using the Clintonian definition of "sex."

doughhater
09-23-2004, 02:54 PM
These are the type of posts that keep me coming back for more.
Classic.

tolbiny
09-23-2004, 03:06 PM
If pregnancy is all he's worried about, that's why god invented the back door....

tolbiny
09-23-2004, 03:07 PM
isn't there a little pill that women can take? (ignoring of course unknown long-term side effects)

midas
09-23-2004, 03:12 PM
n/m

citanul
09-23-2004, 03:14 PM
yeah, and there's also a little operation that guys can get that seems more in tune with the particular form of jerk in the story.

citanul

tolbiny
09-23-2004, 03:17 PM
yeah, but hte hero of the story ain't the kind of guy to use wise bankroll management.
Actually i am thinking the hero of the story is the gal. Up front- but still a little loose passive- my kind of gal!

Tilty McTilterson
09-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Misplayed on every street.

[ QUOTE ]

Pre-Flop Action (1st date):
Chick is 1st to act. She checks
RB bets
She calls (they hook up a little, looking good though, pot is right).

[/ QUOTE ]

No reads? Unforgiveable. At this point you have to put her on herpes or worse.

[ QUOTE ]

Flop Action (2nd date):
Chick checks
RB bets again
She calls (they hook up a lot more, RB verging on sex).

[/ QUOTE ]
Way too LAGGY. Why keep betting? She's either going to fold, or she'll call, and call, and keep calling, and pretty soon you'll be sitting on her couch playing with her cat and watching reruns of Sex and the City.

I only agree with this line if she's tight and agressive and she's holding a big pair.

[ QUOTE ]

Turn Action (3rd date):
Chick checks
RB bets again (starts talking about sex in general, working his way up to the "no condom" discussion, and eventual condom-less sex).
Chick calls (engages him in said conversation).

[/ QUOTE ]
Bet, check or fold. Never talk. Talking is always -EV.

[ QUOTE ]

River Action (still 3rd date):
Chick checks (conversation still flowing, sex in the air).
RB bets big (starts talking about sex with condoms, how he hates it).
Chick check-raises - "You know, if I were to get pregnant, I would definitely keep the baby, I have a career, I'm older, and it would make sense to do that."

RB folds, knowing she has the winning hand and he'd been betting into the nuts the whole time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may sound weak-tight, but I only get into this situation if I'm positive that I have the first and second nuts, and there are no third or fourth nuts anywhere nearby.

gcoutu
09-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Previous post might be the best I have ever read...very nice all the way around.

cold_cash
09-24-2004, 01:32 AM
It's official everyone: We've sunk to a new low.

(Although Tilty's post certainly has some merit.)

Aloysius
09-24-2004, 02:18 PM
In Defence of RB:

1. Who doesn't really prefer condom-less sex to condom-ed sex?
2. It's a clean girl who went to an Ivy League school. It's not some random skanky chick, chance of her being disease-free is better than AA holding up against AK heads-up.
3. She has established that she's on the pill (to keep her more regular).

And my final point...

4. Who doesn't really, really prefer condom-less sex to condom-ed sex?

tolbiny
09-24-2004, 02:27 PM
You clearly weighted this post by leaving out the player reads...
also- just cause a chick went to an ivy league dont make her clean- especially if she's agreeing to condomless sex on the third-fifth date area... Might be more like QQ holding up over KJs... if your an optimist.

billyjex
09-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Birth control!

Condoms suck.

ElSapo
09-24-2004, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2. It's a clean girl who went to an Ivy League school. It's not some random skanky chick, chance of her being disease-free is better than AA holding up against AK heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not gonna go either running hands through twodimes or checking on STD stats, but I've got a hunch this isn't right.

It's attitudes like this that lead to the spread of STDs.

ElSapo

SomethingClever
09-24-2004, 05:09 PM
Think of the condom sex as the micro-limits.

RB can get some practice in there, make sure his table selection is good (no STD), then move up to the high stakes.

Condomless sex, aka 30/60 at the Bellagio.