PDA

View Full Version : 8 tables Vs 4 tables

stupidsucker
09-11-2004, 10:28 PM
I have been trying to avoid this post because its a little bit of vent and a little bit bad beat.. blah blah...

But.. I need your opinions

Let me just stick to the facts and avoid bad beat crap.

312 SnGs playing 4 tables at a time. RoI 36%
333 SnGs playing 8 tables at a time. RoI 8%
(both at the $30+3 level)
I refuse to believe that adding those tables affected my roi by that much. Is it even really possible? I had 2 strings of 100 SnGs of negative roi during these last 333(just recently over the last 117)

Am I seeing some mistakes? Yes
Are they crutial? Not that I can see

Where do you draw the line to see if its a bad run or bad play? Is it natural to have a bad run of 300?? Am I a big jerk for even complaining? I am still making $26/hour on average through the worst semi-longterm run I have ever had. This should make me happy right?

I know these questions have been asked over and over again. Is there any true sum of it all? I just added a twist of playing 8 tables compared to playing 4. Otherwise I am not any different from schmuck_083 complaining about a bad run.

Feel free to ignore this post
My appologies for the whine, I couldnt hold it in any longer.

I do really want to know if anyone that has played over 1000 SnGs have had mediocre runs of 300+ SnGs like this.(winning players only)

imcastleman
09-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Is an 8% ROI really that bad?? I've got some players that I have backed for online play and none of them are getting more than 12% over 500 tournaments. I play the $215's religiously and get about an 11% ROI after 2500 tournaments. I don't have any data for myself at the lower buy in tournamnets so I'm not sure how high you can get for ROI in the long run at the lower levels.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I have gone through 200 tournaments before to just break even if that helps.

However, I would like to add that I tried playing 8 tables at a time in the 200's and simply got destroyed. I played about 300 total before I gave up on it and moved back to just four. I was thinking just like you, I didn't think I was making many mistakes(I knew I was making some) but I didn't think they were affecting my results too significantly. Anyway, I decided to give it up. Let me know if you can keep up the profits 8-tabling.

chill888
09-12-2004, 11:56 AM
I think you lose more from going to 4 to 8 tables than from moving up to $50.

That is: 4 tables of $50 will be more profitable than 8 of $30. Games are slow enough to concentrate on players etc with 4 tables. With 8, you can play smart but it's very difficult to adjust to opponents that you know.

Irieguy
09-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Well, the bottom line is that you are making much more money per hour playing 4 tables than 8. I wouldn't worry too much about the "why," because it is what it is.

You have enough data to know what direction things are moving. You might want to start a new data set playing 5,6, or 7 tables. Once you find out where your maximum hourly rate lies, you can just play that many screens and collect.

Irieguy

stupidsucker
09-12-2004, 04:10 PM
I am going to play another set of at least 300 tourneys while 8tabling. I know bad luck when I see it, and I know bad play when I see it. I cant see more then maybe 3 times in my run of 300 tourneys that I made a play I wouldnt make while 4tabling.

I see too much potential in 8 tabling to give up already. I am a determined individual. I will play another 300-500 and check my roi. If its bad I will try to see how where and why. Then Ill drop down to 6 tables. and maybe back down to 4.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

eastbay
09-12-2004, 07:44 PM
If I had to guess, I would guess it is real or a slight exaggeration of a very real effect.

I know that my ROI falls significantly from 2 to 4 games. I just can't imagine 8.

At that point I think you're either superhuman or you're playing a basically context-free strategy (meaning each hand is basically independent). And I just don't think you can get a very big edge that way.

eastbay

Wolf
09-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Where can I find ROI in Pokertracker?

THX

SmileyEH
09-12-2004, 08:10 PM
download the beta.

-SmileyEH

willie
09-12-2004, 08:23 PM
insanity man

i played 2 games at a time with good results and felt like a champ

i've moved to 3 when i'm feeling saucy and i find it to be hard....but 8....i just can't keep track of everything.

i understand that people basically act on trends and that you're probably just goin on instinct, but it seems like 1 out of every 3 games i'm in has some joker that requires a bit of special attention to see what he shows down so i can stick it in his profile.

if you're good enough to do it, and apparently you are, then keep at it, i just can't imagine it right now....

i'd probably just move up to the higher limit and settle for about 5 games at a time though.

how did that night go where you were going to play 100 sngs in a night? i never saw a post updating with your results....

Michael Davis
09-12-2004, 09:57 PM
My ROI 8-tabling is 75% of my ROI 4-tabling, if that helps at all.

-Michael

Jman28
09-12-2004, 10:35 PM
I have no data for you, but I 4 table, and I would love to attempt to 8 table.

I plan to sometime in the next 1/2 year I hope.

I wouldn't give up on 8 tableing that easy.

Since you're playing 2X as many per hour, your still making almost half of what you were in hourly rate, and with the potential upside of 8 tabling, I'd give it another 600 at least before giving up.

-Jman28

stupidsucker
09-12-2004, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My ROI 8-tabling is 75% of my ROI 4-tabling, if that helps at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does thank you

Those are the approximate results I was expecting. What size is your datapool?