PDA

View Full Version : Just opened an account at Ultimate Bet

Francis Begbie
09-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Yesterday I took the $30 I won in a small home game and opened an account with Ultimate Bet. I played the $.01/.02 limits for about four hours and I am now up a dollar.

According to the 300xBB rule this is the highest I can go for now.. The next step up is .25/.50

I guess .05/.10 would be ideal, but they don't offer that.. I suppose I should have checked around to see if any other sites did.. Are there any that you know of?

I'm reletively new to the game, I don't suppose any of you would reccomend bending this bankroll rule? I will need $150 to play at these limits by this rule, and I think it will take quite a long time to build it up to that from the .01/.02 limits.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated..

Francis Begbie
09-09-2004, 07:29 PM
Also,It seems that poker tracker doesn't work for Ultimate Bet. Is there another similar program that serves the same purpose?

Rhone
09-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Hi Francis,

A few things. First, I was in your shoes just 4 months ago. Climbing up from such low limits seems daunting, but it is doable. I started with $30 of my own money, plus $10 free from Royal Vegas, Seven Sultans, and Absolute, and have worked it up to a few hundred with some help from deposit bonuses the various sites offer, despite completely losing the Seven Sultans money with some stupid play. You can do it.

Paradise Poker offers .05/.10. Check them out.

Rhone.

SpacePirate
09-09-2004, 07:41 PM
I would recomend Paradise Poker for micro limit games. They offer .02/.04, .05/.10, .10/.20, .25/.50, .50/1, and so on. They also offer $2 and $10 no limit games which I love to mess around in. Overall their software is great and they are a very proffesional company.

AncientPC
09-09-2004, 08:13 PM
I second Paradise for microlimit games. There's plenty of people, games are soft (read: massive LAG for the most part), good bonuses (in terms of time to clear), and decent / good software.

JohnShaft
09-09-2004, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also,It seems that poker tracker doesn't work for Ultimate Bet. Is there another similar program that serves the same purpose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Francis, Poker Tracker works fine with UB. You merely need to save the Hand Histories at the table (button on the right) and import them in PT using "Select File(s) To Import".

Francis Begbie
09-09-2004, 08:20 PM
thanks guys!

I really wish I had checked around before opening with UB.. I really like their software though.. I wonder if its possible to cash out with UB and have it sent back to my firepay account.. but then again I don't know if Paradise Poker accepts Firepay.. It cost me 3.99 just to put the money in my firepay account, becuase none of the other methods would work for me..

No need to answer all this, just thinking out loud I guess.. I will look into it for sure..

RiverMel
09-09-2004, 08:20 PM
gl

Francis Begbie
09-09-2004, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Francis, Poker Tracker works fine with UB. You merely need to save the Hand Histories at the table (button on the right) and import them in PT using "Select File(s) To Import".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I should have worded that differently.. I haven't downloaded Poker Tracker, I just went to the website, they had a list of compatible software, and it didn't list UB..

Thanks for the info

JohnShaft
09-09-2004, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really wish I had checked around before opening with UB.. I really like their software though.. I wonder if its possible to cash out with UB and have it sent back to my firepay account.. but then again I don't know if Paradise Poker accepts Firepay.. It cost me 3.99 just to put the money in my firepay account, becuase none of the other methods would work for me..

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're looking to have it transferred from UB to another site and want to avoid the hit from Firepay I would be willing to help you out. As long as the other site allows small interaccount transfers (like UB does) you shouldn't have too much of a problem. You could just transfer the UB money to me, and I transfer the X site money to you.
Let me know if you're interested. I guess I'm trustworthy. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pokertips
09-09-2004, 08:39 PM
I do not know about your background and skill but I'd recommend you read Texas Hold'em for Advanced Players by Sklansky and Malmuth (if you haven't done it already). Also, please check your 2+2 mailbox for some other info.

Rhone
09-09-2004, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks guys!

No need to answer all this, just thinking out loud I guess.. I will look into it for sure..

[/ QUOTE ]

Firepay charges a fee to fund your account from your bank, but not to receive funds from online sites or to send funds to online sites. Also, Paradise does accept firepay, in fact they seem to prefer it. My first firepay cashout from Paradise they threw in an extra $20.

Rhone.

Homer
09-09-2004, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday I took the $30 I won in a small home game and opened an account with Ultimate Bet. I played the $.01/.02 limits for about four hours and I am now up a dollar.

According to the 300xBB rule this is the highest I can go for now.. The next step up is .25/.50

I guess .05/.10 would be ideal, but they don't offer that.. I suppose I should have checked around to see if any other sites did.. Are there any that you know of?

I'm reletively new to the game, I don't suppose any of you would reccomend bending this bankroll rule? I will need $150 to play at these limits by this rule, and I think it will take quite a long time to build it up to that from the .01/.02 limits.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated..

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend not depositing at any other sites until you have a bankroll of at least $500. If you make your initial deposit at sites before having this much, you will be missing out on a ton of free money. For example, Party Poker and skins (5 sites in all) offer a 20% bonus up to $100 on first deposits. If you deposit $50 instead of $500 at each of those sites, you will be giving up a total of $450 in free money.

In fact, if you can afford to take a small risk, you might want to consider starting with $500 and whoring to build a bankroll. Once you're done doing that, you can take out your original $500 and you'll have a "freeroll" bankroll. It is a lot easier to get going this way than starting with $30 at the micro-limits and working your way up, though I can see a sort of purist thrill in that. If you have the $500 and are afraid of playing a limit like .5/1, don't be. If you read a couple of introductory books and post a few hands on the micro-limit forum, you will be at least break even, which will be sufficient while you're earning those whoring bucks and gaining the experience to turn yourself into a winning player.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

-- Homer

Homer
09-09-2004, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, please check your 2+2 mailbox for some other info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! Before signing up through any affiliates, learn about what they are and why they want you to sign up under them. Make sure you're getting the maximum out of the deal. Also, remember what I said about extracting maximum bonus dollars. Don't sign up at a bunch of sites before you have a decent sized bankroll.

-- Homer

Francis Begbie
09-09-2004, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're looking to have it transferred from UB to another site and want to avoid the hit from Firepay I would be willing to help you out. As long as the other site allows small interaccount transfers (like UB does) you shouldn't have too much of a problem. You could just transfer the UB money to me, and I transfer the X site money to you.
Let me know if you're interested. I guess I'm trustworthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm going to be moving over to Paradise Poker.. I just downloaded the software and I like the wide range of microlimits.. seems they would be a nice safeguard for bankroll fluctuations. Someone else said that Paradise accepts Firepay, so if I can make the transfer through them without paying any fees I'll do that, but if not I'll consider this.. Thanks for the offer

[ QUOTE ]

Firepay charges a fee to fund your account from your bank, but not to receive funds from online sites or to send funds to online sites. Also, Paradise does accept firepay, in fact they seem to prefer it. My first firepay cashout from Paradise they threw in an extra $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I just wasn't sure if I could cash out from my UB account to Firepay or if they would have to send me a check or something.. thanks for the info

[ QUOTE ]
I would recommend not depositing at any other sites until you have a bankroll of at least $500. If you make your initial deposit at sites before having this much, you will be missing out on a ton of free money. For example, Party Poker and skins (5 sites in all) offer a 20% bonus up to $100 on first deposits. If you deposit $50 instead of $500 at each of those sites, you will be giving up a total of $450 in free money.

In fact, if you can afford to take a small risk, you might want to consider starting with $500 and whoring to build a bankroll. Once you're done doing that, you can take out your original $500 and you'll have a "freeroll" bankroll. It is a lot easier to get going this way than starting with $30 at the micro-limits and working your way up, though I can see a sort of purist thrill in that. If you have the $500 and are afraid of playing a limit like .5/1, don't be. If you read a couple of introductory books and post a few hands on the micro-limit forum, you will be at least break even, which will be sufficient while you're earning those whoring bucks and gaining the experience to turn yourself into a winning player.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do like the purist aspect of starting from pure profit, but the fact is I do not have $500 to my name! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Going to college and delivering sandwiches part time isn't conducive to that kind of high rolling lol

I plan on sticking with one site until I have an adequate bankroll.. I just want to transfer my cash from UB because it only offers .01/.02 and then jumps straight to .25/.50.. I don't like the idea of having 1,500 times the big bet playing at that low a level.. I just need something more ideal for my bankroll

I've read mostly online strategy, but I think I have a good enough grasp of the game to start out at the microlimits and do well.. I plan on reading a book very soon.. Any suggestions for a first read?

[ QUOTE ]
Ha! Before signing up through any affiliates, learn about what they are and why they want you to sign up under them. Make sure you're getting the maximum out of the deal. Also, remember what I said about extracting maximum bonus dollars. Don't sign up at a bunch of sites before you have a decent sized bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I looked at the link he sent and most of the sites I haven't heard of.. I'm gonna stick with Paradise I think.. thanks for the warning though!

Thanks to everyone who has replied.. You've all been very helpful

Francis Begbie
09-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Well, I have definitely changed my mind about Paradise Poker.. I do not like the interface at all..

If anyone else has suggestions on which software I can find .05/.10 limit tables please let me know.. I wish I could get used to this software, but it is just so incredibly ugly I don't think I could stare at this long enough to win any money at all..

AncientPC
09-09-2004, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thanks guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

Rhone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got $20 from Paradise for my first cashout via Neteller as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I have definitely changed my mind about Paradise Poker.. I do not like the interface at all..

If anyone else has suggestions on which software I can find .05/.10 limit tables please let me know.. I wish I could get used to this software, but it is just so incredibly ugly I don't think I could stare at this long enough to win any money at all..

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear you didn't like Paradise. Pacific Poker has .05/.10 games as well, but their software sucks more than Paradise.

Francis Begbie
09-09-2004, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hear you didn't like Paradise. Pacific Poker has .05/.10 games as well, but their software sucks more than Paradise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info.. I'll check it out but I think Ultimate Bet is going to be hard to beat as far as software goes..

Anyone know if Empire Poker has .05/.10 limit games? I tried downloading their software, but I got an html document with all kinds of funky characters instead of a .exe file

LazyRobot
09-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Empire (and Party) start Limit at .50/1.00.

PokerStars has .05/.10c, but you need to deposit a minimum of $50. (Then it jumps to .25/.50 games). I personally like the interface at PokerStars. It's simple and quick.

Absolute has .02/.04 and then .10/.20. They have a 15$ minimum buy-in right now, but a caveat is that you need to have a min. of $50 to withdraw. Interface is tolerable. They also have start sit-and-go's at .50cents.

Francis Begbie
09-09-2004, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Empire (and Party) start Limit at .50/1.00.

PokerStars has .05/.10c, but you need to deposit a minimum of $50. (Then it jumps to .25/.50 games). I personally like the interface at PokerStars. It's simple and quick.

Absolute has .02/.04 and then .10/.20. They have a 15$ minimum buy-in right now, but a caveat is that you need to have a min. of $50 to withdraw. Interface is tolerable. They also have start sit-and-go's at .50cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just checked out Pacific and it is indeed as intolerable as Paradise.. Maybe I'll check out Pokerstars and Absolute but I think I'll probably just stick with UB because the software is so much better.. Think emailing them about the possibility of starting up a .05/.10 limit would be worthwhile?

Playing another home game tomorrow night, if I win I will defnitely add it to my online bankroll, but that $3.99 Firepay charge is going to kill me if I keep making deposits..

AngryCola
09-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Don't make the mistake I did by staying with Ub just for the software. It's true that it looks good.. feels good.. all that fun stuff. But, I can tell you that UB won't be starting up any new limits soon that fit your needs.
When you are making up your mind about which site to play ask yourself the following:

How fast can you get your money out of the site?

Does the site have the limit that is appropriate for me? (In your case UB does not)

How beatable are this site's games compaired to other sites?
(probably the most important factor in the end)

Those are just a few questions you need to think about. Notice none of it was about the software. It's true that you'll find it more enjoyable and perhaps easier to play with an interface that is more streamlined. UB has that down pretty well. So does pokerstars, however.

I won't suggest to you where you should put your money.
But ask yourself this...

When the old pros looked for a game for their money, did they make their decision based on the carpet? /images/graemlins/spade.gif

B00T
09-10-2004, 09:07 AM
OK honestly here is your best bet.

Party affiliates can receive $60-70 per signup depending on the volume of business they do. Find an affiliate who will not put you on the rakeback scheme and one that offers the lump sum bonus. These affiliates will deposit $50 into your Party account.

That will basically double your bankroll in the short term. If you can sustain it at the weak Party games which I think you can do easily, you will build it up. There is obviously no endangerment of losing your bankroll.

Basically take that $50 for free that I know someone will give you, and give it a shot, you haev nothing to lose.

In the longterm you could then deposit into Empire under the rakeback scheme when your bankroll is sufficient for higher limit games.

Lori
09-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Scour the sites for freerolls.

Some of the smaller ones where you won't miss much by not having an affiliate deal and where there is a realistic chance you'll get something out of them.

WPEX (World poker exchange) has $60 freerolls each day with only about 260 players, and there are similar deals if you hunt around some of the other lesser sites (Altough personally I find WPEX to only be lesser because of the number of players, the site itself is at least average and probably a bit above)

A few $1-$10 results would soon fire your bankroll up.

Lori

Lori
09-10-2004, 12:36 PM
UB has .5/.1 limit and also .25/.5 limit, so you do have some choice of game other than the 1c/2c.

You will also get points for hours played at the end of the month.

Check out the freeroll tab regularly in the tournament section.

Also check out the points tourneys, they start as low as 25 pts and although you can only win points, I think something like 2000 points allows buyin to $5 tourneys and SNGs.

Furthermore, UB has $1 +0.1 Sit 'n' Go tourneys, which you might find a nice change from the ring game from time to time.

Hang in there, there are not many better feelings than building up a BR from next to nothing.
I've now had to build a double figure roll into four figures three times, and I'm sure I'll have to again if I don't stop being so lazy.

Lori

fnord_too
09-10-2004, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldnt cost anything to move it back to firepay then to another site. The only place I take a hit is movements between by back account and firepay (both ways).

As to playing outside your bankroll: If the money in your bankroll is trivial to you and easily replaced, you don't need to fiercely protect it.

As for where to go, I like Royal Vegas. They will give you $10 free for signing up, and some little deposit bonus (like 40% up to 100). That will get your bankroll up to $50 right there. There are .25/50 no ante 5 and 7 stud games at RV that are very easy to beat. These are great for building up a small bankroll. They also have .5/1.0 no ante 7 stud which is also very easy to beat. These micro limit games usually go unraked as I recall, since the rake doesn't kick in until the pot hits $10 (I think), and most of the pots never make it that high.

At UB I would play the micro PLO game if I were building up a small bankroll, and take shots at the 5+.5 sit and goes. In the first year I played on line I had a pretty small bankroll, it is a blast to start with next to nothing and build it into a big amount, and if you get broke it's pretty cheap entertainment for the amount of table time you get out of your money.

Francis Begbie
09-10-2004, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't make the mistake I did by staying with Ub just for the software. It's true that it looks good.. feels good.. all that fun stuff. But, I can tell you that UB won't be starting up any new limits soon that fit your needs.
When you are making up your mind about which site to play ask yourself the following:

How fast can you get your money out of the site?

Does the site have the limit that is appropriate for me? (In your case UB does not)

How beatable are this site's games compaired to other sites?
(probably the most important factor in the end)

Those are just a few questions you need to think about. Notice none of it was about the software. It's true that you'll find it more enjoyable and perhaps easier to play with an interface that is more streamlined. UB has that down pretty well. So does pokerstars, however.

I won't suggest to you where you should put your money.
But ask yourself this...

When the old pros looked for a game for their money, did they make their decision based on the carpet? /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you're saying, and you're 100% correct, but I don't think I would put in the time that it would take to build up my bankroll if I had to stare at something as ugly as Pacific for a few hours a day.. I think if I can keep winning money in our home games every other week that I can build up a reasonable bankroll to play the .25/.50 limits reletively quickly.. I was observing some games on there the past couple days and I think that I could manage with what I have now.. but I'd like to atleaast get up to $75 before I start there..

Does the 300x BB bankroll only apply to money that is not easily replacable? Even though I don't have a ton of spare cash, I have reletively few bills and if I lost it, it wouldn't break me or anything.. I could easily rebuy, but of course I want to avoid that situation..

I checked out Full Tilt and they have .05/.10, but they are no limit games.. not sure if I'm ready for that just yet

I do very much appreciate your advice..

Francis Begbie
09-10-2004, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK honestly here is your best bet.

Party affiliates can receive $60-70 per signup depending on the volume of business they do. Find an affiliate who will not put you on the rakeback scheme and one that offers the lump sum bonus. These affiliates will deposit $50 into your Party account.

That will basically double your bankroll in the short term. If you can sustain it at the weak Party games which I think you can do easily, you will build it up. There is obviously no endangerment of losing your bankroll.

Basically take that $50 for free that I know someone will give you, and give it a shot, you haev nothing to lose.

In the longterm you could then deposit into Empire under the rakeback scheme when your bankroll is sufficient for higher limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do have Party Poker and its software is definitely tolerable.. Where might I find one of these affiliates? Maybe that's against the rules to post here, so if you want you can PM me.. I'm new to all this so I don't know much about the affiliates/bonuses etc.. Thanks for your help

B00T
09-10-2004, 04:53 PM
I am not an affiliate so I cannot give you the deal, nor do I know of one off hand, but I am sure they exist.

In actuality by the time I post this, I am sure you have gotten an offer from somebody.

IIRC, there may be one in the advertisements section of this website. If you still have nothing, let me know and I'll find someone for you.

Francis Begbie
09-10-2004, 05:48 PM
I got PM from someone who sent me a link where there's a Party Poker bonus.. It says if you deposit a minimum of $50 they give you $50 cash and a $25 deposit bonus..

Sound good? I'm just naturally pessimistic about someone giving me free money.. Can anyone tell me if this is actually for real?

Geo
09-10-2004, 06:06 PM
This is the type of post that the zoo used to be so good for , helping the new guy just because you can not for personal gain.

Big O
09-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Learn to play NLHE. Play the $2 max buy in NL game there and build up your bank rool from there. I did and I have made of 5k now. Buy in for a $1 double up and leave to bank the profit, until you are no longer playing with scared money.

Good luck,

BTW Poker tracker does work with UB, they just have bad way gaining the hand histories.

Francis Begbie
09-10-2004, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the type of post that the zoo used to be so good for , helping the new guy just because you can not for personal gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone has been super nice, helpful and insightful.. Very much appreciated

Francis Begbie
09-11-2004, 06:32 AM
UB must have seen this thread /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I come home from the home game tonight that I |ost and I see 5c/10c |imits.. I'm stoked

I've made a|most ha|f my money back that I |ost tonight