PDA

View Full Version : Board Pair, Big Pot

ozyman
08-21-2004, 04:18 PM
PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (8 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB

I thought of raising the turn but couldn't get myself to do it. Anyone for a flop raise? Any help is appreciated.

MrHorace
08-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Interested in that I faced a similar situation last night in a live 2/4. I have A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif mid/late position. I raise, and if I recall correctly, I think I end up capping. Pot is big. Flop is all /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I think man, I have the nut flush. Let's play this not too fast to get $$. Instead of betting the flop, I check/raise. Big mistake I think. Turn is a J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. So I bet, raise, and get calls. River is another J, UGH!!
I lost to 8's full of J's. Point is, and one that I'm incredibly dense at (I've made the mistake 2 of last 3 sessions), when there is a pair on the board, and people are betting into you, you are probably beat!
As for your hand, I think raising the flop is a good idea. You'll find out how strong your opponents are (Providing you're not like me and THINK about what they're doing...when they call or raise you, you're probably second best), and also find out who has the 9. Definitely on the turn and river you maybe wanted to raise.
Hope this helps.

balkii
08-21-2004, 05:08 PM
I'd probably raise the flop - depending on the aggression level of the bettor. If I thought he would not 3-bet its an easy raise.
Turn I'd just call.
River I'd typically raise the first time, but if I misclicked I'd certainly 3-bet when SB raises. It really doesnt appear that either player has a boat.

If SB had trips he had the perfect opportunity to checkraise the field on the turn, and he didnt take it. So he either has 44 or a lower flush. I'll put my money on the lower flush. He could even have just trips, and waited till the river to raise (they do this sometimes).

ozyman
08-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Wow, nice read on the SB, he did in fact have 44 for the boat. I know I have to get more aggresive with my raises and I think in this hand a flop or turn raise probably would have gotten him to fold his low pocket pair.

RustedCorpse
09-06-2004, 05:36 AM
I raise, call, raise, but I guess I would have lost more.