PDA

View Full Version : optimal tournament strategy

Navers
08-14-2004, 01:18 AM
I play in a home game that's a $5 buy-in and there are usually 7-8 players. 1st gets $25, 2nd gets $7, 3rd gets $3. Is this a bit too top heavy for 1st place? I feel like when I'm heads up against my opponent it's okay for me to make calls where I'm 40% to win the hand but if I make it I'm virtually guaranteed to win.

For example, if I have K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif and I somehow know I'm up against something like A /images/graemlins/heart.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, I'm 40% to win. I know if I move all-in my opponent will call, but because 1st place gets so much it seems like I'd be making more money. Does this make any sense at all or would I be better off taking fewer coinflips to have a higher chance of winning by not taking these shots?

RPatterson
08-14-2004, 01:45 AM
That is too topheavy imo. You can't really argue a prize structure, they are what they are. But I don't see the point in paying out less than the buy-in. In my view if you somehow know your opponent has a better hand, and he'll call, you should fold unless your stack is so small in relation to the blinds your getting the right pot odds.

eastbay
08-14-2004, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play in a home game that's a $5 buy-in and there are usually 7-8 players. 1st gets $25, 2nd gets $7, 3rd gets $3. Is this a bit too top heavy for 1st place? I feel like when I'm heads up against my opponent it's okay for me to make calls where I'm 40% to win the hand but if I make it I'm virtually guaranteed to win.

For example, if I have K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif and I somehow know I'm up against something like A /images/graemlins/heart.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, I'm 40% to win. I know if I move all-in my opponent will call, but because 1st place gets so much it seems like I'd be making more money. Does this make any sense at all or would I be better off taking fewer coinflips to have a higher chance of winning by not taking these shots?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should almost never make -chipEV plays of any kind. The only exception is when the ONLY alternative is a bigger -chipEV play. That's rare.

Calling when there's play left on an expected 40/60 is idiotic. And 40/60 is nowhere near a "coin flip".

eastbay