PDA

View Full Version : False tells?

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-04-2004, 04:15 PM
I find a check on the turn, accompanied by a false "glint in the eye," with only moderate subtlety, gets me a free look at the river.

I'm doing a bit of research, anyone else have a fake tell they are particularly proud of and would be willing to share?

kyro
08-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Funny, I do the exact same thing at my home game. Then, my friend proceeds to bet 1/5 of his stack on something like second pair. I need a new fake tell.

goofball
08-04-2004, 04:44 PM
if it's down to heads up or 3 handed, and i'm in last position and want a free card, I'll try to telegraph my intention to bet, encouraging checkraise attempts and so on.

GuyOnTilt
08-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Reverse tells and false reverse tells are vital to most mid-stakes games I've sat in, as there's usually at least one other solid player in the game. You should be using a combination of them postflop in pots against solid thinking players often enough where your opponent has to keep them in mind.

GoT

mostsmooth
08-04-2004, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if it's down to heads up or 3 handed, and i'm in last position and want a free card, I'll try to telegraph my intention to bet, encouraging checkraise attempts and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]
when somebody ahead of me grabs some chips like they are dying to call/bet, i usually bet.

goofball
08-04-2004, 09:30 PM
but what if i'm double faking and decide to raise you

mostsmooth
08-04-2004, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but what if i'm double faking and decide to raise you

[/ QUOTE ]
youre not that good

TheSheath
08-05-2004, 12:37 AM
this might be illegal but like at home games and against my brother if i want someone who is debating on whether to call me or not i sometimes reach for the pot and say "I can see where this is going" and procede to sorta move the pot towards me. it normally works.

Dominic
08-05-2004, 01:43 AM
I play a lot of ring games in L.A....10-20/15-30....if anybody so much as makes a semblance of a strong move to discourage my bet, I don't hesitate to bet...it only makes me more confident that my hand is good...and if I had nothing and it's the river? I'll still bet if I see this because they will invariably fold. My favorite one I see is the "I've got chips in my hand and I'm about to call you so be careful" move.

Or the ones who immediately call, like the speed of their call is going to slow me down on the next street if I have something.

Of course, the best one is the staredown after a big bet - usually seen in NL game or tourney - it's checked to the river and some idiot moves all in or bets the pot and glares at you, daring you to call. Hell, if all I have is Ace-high I'm calling that guy.

Amateurs.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

trillig
08-05-2004, 02:21 AM
Howdy!

I like to mix up how I protect my hand, and sometimes look like I am definitely folding when it gets to me and reverse it and look like a bet or call is definite and even pause as if debating and then fold my 83o BB hand to the KKJ flop bets...

I noticed a kid today who acted like he hated seeing a bet, and then proceeded to raise.

Turns out he was a calling station as well, lucky for him it was his day and he ran down or rivered a ton of hands.

-Bri

Oblivious
08-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Most of these "false tells" arent false tells at all... theyre just tells indicating the true strength of your hand.

chesspain
08-05-2004, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Reverse tells and false reverse tells are vital to most mid-stakes games I've sat in...

[/ QUOTE ]

I occassionaly carpool to Foxwoods with another 2+2er who claims to be a successful (i.e. self-supporting) 20-40 player. He plays HE or Stud, and travels to Foxwoods because he claims he can't find a good enough choice of juicy 20-40 stud games online.

When I listen to him talk about hands, he sounds like an extremely skilled, mathematically based (i.e. Baysien?) player. Yet, after hearing him discuss the play of some live 20-40 hands, I mentioned "You know, in all of the decision-making choices you had in those hands, I never heard you mention whether you picked up on tells, or even how the other players seemed to you when it was their turn to act."

I was a little surprised when he responded that whereas he believes himself to be a very good to expert hand reader, he rarely if ever makes a difficult decision based on a live tell, preferring to make his decision based on mathematics and his knowledge of his opponents' play. In fact, he added that he feels at a disadvatange playing live, since he finds the database of his Pokertracker-like software to be much more helpful to him than what he believes is only his mediocre ability to decipher live tells.

Although this is the story of only one man, it seems to jibe with Mason's claim that the utility of perceiving and profitting from live tells, even at mid-limit games, is grossly overrated...

chief444
08-05-2004, 11:04 AM
I find that if you play in a regular game this is rather pointless because observant opponents pick up on false tells quickly just as they would pick up on other tells. So I just focus on being consistent in my actions at the regular games I play in. But I've also found that this works well at some mid limit games in Vegas (or I'm sure anywhere new) against some regulars when you are the new face. It usually only works once or twice but is good for a couple of extra bets or better early. Usually just any small gesture to act strong when you are strong or vice-versa gives an observant opponent the wrong impression. I also find this works better against good but not very good opponents.

ncskiier
08-05-2004, 12:11 PM
I know that guy... He sucks.

TiK
08-05-2004, 12:50 PM
You have to watch out with that staredown thing though, there're a few people I know who do that, and when called have had monsters.

A couple of weeks ago, final table in a tournament, I'm under the gun with KK. I'm shortstacked so I push all in. Chipleader, sitting immediately to my left calls me and another guy sitting 1 off the cuttoff (3rd or 4th in chips) moves all in over the top, and then proceeds to stare down/glare at the chipleader...at which point, the chipleader says something along the lines of "You know, Mike Caro says that when you glare at me like that, you probably have a weak hand." The glarer replies "Who the hell is Mike Caro?" and continues to glare. Chipleaders thinks for a while and mucks his pocket 3s, it's heads up me and the glarer and the glarer flips over pocket Aces...I find a good number of people who do the same glaring thing, regardless of whether they're bluffing or not...

Loci
08-05-2004, 02:06 PM
In college I taught some buddy's how to play micro limit poker, and they thought they were all Johnny Chan because I would give them a warning with my loose change bets when I had the nuts. "Get outta my game." It took them months to realize I was giving them a present by it. When some of them started getting a little better and too big for their britches, holding real cash instead of loose change, I made a point to say it and push all in on them when I bluffed. One kid so ademantly believed I was incapable of saying that and bluffing he layed down the second nut full house. Silly kids.
ez-out

Dominic
08-05-2004, 06:00 PM
well it's never %100...and you do have to watch for reverse tells from knowledgable pros...but I can usually figure out which way the staredown is going...and it usually means "weak."