PDA

View Full Version : I got a knight/knave puzzle for ya!

jwvdcw
08-03-2004, 02:46 PM
You're on the Island of Knights and Knaves. For those of you who have not yet visited, everyone on the island -- except you, of course -- is either a Knight or a Knave. Knights always tell the truth. Knaves always lie.

You meet 3 people there. You ask one of them, "Are you a knave?" He answers your question. The second one claims that the first one denied being a knave. The third one says that the first one is a knave.

How many of them are knaves?

GuyOnTilt
08-03-2004, 02:50 PM
<font color="white"> Assuming that all three of the people questioned are locals to the island (something you did not specify), there is exactly one knave questioned.</font>

HARDER!!!

GoT

TheMile
08-03-2004, 02:50 PM
<font color="white"> Either the first or third guy is a knave. The second is a knight. </font>

jwvdcw
08-03-2004, 02:51 PM
"everyone on the island -- except you, of course -- is either a Knight or a Knave"

GuyOnTilt
08-03-2004, 02:52 PM
"everyone on the island -- except you, of course -- is either a Knight or a Knave"

My bad. I skipped that paragraph and was assuming the island was still open to visitors.

GoT

jwvdcw
08-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Ok, same thing with 3 people. You ask "How many of you are knaves."

first person says, "Well all are knaves."
Second one says, "No, just two of us are knaves."
Third one says, "that isn't true either."
Is the third one a knave?

GuyOnTilt
08-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Is the third one a knave?

<font color="white"> Um, yes. </font>

GoT

aloiz
08-03-2004, 03:02 PM
<font color="white"> I'd think the third one is a knave. First one must be a knave, and if the second was a knave, then the third one must be a knight, in which case the second would be telling the truth, so the second must be a knight and the third must be a knave.
</font>

aloiz