PDA

View Full Version : Brutal First Day

herrkurtz
07-30-2004, 05:22 PM
So I took my first step in world poker dominance yesterday. That would be a step backwards. I was playing in CA at a 3/6 hold'em game and I got creamed. I thought I was playing tight and then i realized that i hadn't participated a hand in like two orbits. The table was calling anything and i saw a pair of twos take the best hand out of 8 players. Well loosening up didn't help either.Of course when i had pocket jacks, the whole table gets their inside straight draw on the river where the odds clearly were not it their favor. WTF?! The only positive thing I got was that i was able to recognize the good player at the table (soon it will be me) and the crazies. Also the table was really passive so there was very little maniacal action going on. Very offputting. Looks like I need to hit the books some more. Let's just consider this a trainig run on future success.

was i too tight, or not tight enough? I'm sure I wasn't aggressive, but had so few hands that i could go aggressive on. The few hands i did win seemed to have everyone out of the pot by the time i even made a bet. and did i mention how quick the pace seemed? i think i might start flipping myself 5 cards over and coming up with the nuts to speed my knowledge along.

Any words of encouragement?

scotnt73
07-30-2004, 05:35 PM
theres no way to know anything from one session. if you are at a very loose table it can be very frustrating. the swings are huge. if you could see the good player and were playing tight then you are on the right path.

gojacketz
07-30-2004, 05:44 PM
I have played in the low limit games at Bay 101 and Lucky Chances and if the ones you play in are anything like those, your variance is going to be very high. Play more hands, but be very selective, loosen up with suited cards in late position (78s, 67s, etc) with lots of limpers, raise with your good hands to get more money in the pot (you won't win many times when you have nice pairs, but when you do, the payoffs will be very good).

You mention your JJ losing at the river to an inside straight draw when they were not getting odds. Are you sure they weren't getting odds? In a lot of the games out there (low limits) you can profitably chase a four outer on the river.

Gojacketz

SheridanCat
07-30-2004, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think i might start flipping myself 5 cards over and coming up with the nuts to speed my knowledge along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start by flipping the flop, determine the top few hands. Flip the turn, see how the hands change. Flip the river, and do the same. It'll help you see how hands change over the course of the deal.

Otherwise, hang in there. Read Ed Miller's new book, too, as it deals with exactly the type of game you're describing. You may find that you can profitably play some of those hands you were folding.

Regards,

T

illunious
07-31-2004, 02:56 AM
not even close to enough hands.

in a month, after playing 8 hours a day every single day, if your still running bad, post again, and I'll tell you you can start to worry, but it's still not enough hands.