PDA

View Full Version : biggest SNG pet peeve.

Sponger15SB
07-25-2004, 08:30 PM
alternatively titled "don't you hate it when this happens"....

Short Handed....

Big stack in the small blind. Shorter stack in the Big Blind. Folded around to the Big Stack who... CALLS the big blind.

anyone else care to add some things?

La Brujita
07-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Getting outdrawn to finish fourth. I don't know if that is a "pet peeve" but I do hate it.

AtlBrvs4Life
07-25-2004, 09:20 PM
My biggest pet peeve is finishing in any place other than 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

hyde
07-25-2004, 09:44 PM
You wrote:
My biggest pet peeve is finishing in any place other than 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

no , 4th is far and away the most painful.
but I'm not sure it is a pet peeve.

My self induced peeve is timing out because I'm watching TV. Double peeved if I'm watching celebrity poker......
Triple peeved if it's a re-run.....

hyde

UncleDuke
07-26-2004, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting outdrawn to finish fourth. I don't know if that is a "pet peeve" but I do hate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can relate. I'm currently on a run where this seems to happen to me practically ever sng. My pet peeve is a special case of this (not always on the bubble but usually at some fairly critical point) when the cards punish me for making a good read. For instance, if I bet with top-pair, get raised all-in, think, decide that I'm still ahead and call, only to find that I do have the other guy outkicked but the next card pairs his kicker. Naturally it's no fun to get beaten when I was legimately behind or made a bad call either, but it's defintely more aggravating when I had it figured correctly and die anyway.

Tosh
07-26-2004, 02:06 AM
My biggest pet peeve is when I'm in the big blind with marginally over 2BB. Say blinds of 200/400 and I have 830. All my money has to be go in this hand but its folded to the SB who min raises to 800. That really winds me up for some reason.

Phill S
07-26-2004, 05:07 AM
i have just one pet peev.

people who raise with nothing when someone is all in.

a couple of weeks back, get down to fourth, someone gets very short, goes allin, called by a guy with some suited Q and me with AJ. board hits me nowt all to the turn, when the other guy BETS his flush DRAW. its a small bet, but im not calling with ace high, cos he has a legitimate hand right??

he shows his draw, other guy shows a small ace (8 i believe) and an ace of another suit comes on river. me and the other guy who folded preflop were more than peeved when i said what i had.

and its happened to me oh so many times before.

i dont believe in a hard fast rule of always check it down, but only put it heads up when you reckon your hand is legit.

Phill

happybhoy
07-26-2004, 06:23 AM
When your down to 4 and the situation is 1 huge stack and 3 wee stacks and you battle for ages keeping you head above water and you keep knocking the other wee stack down and the chip leader keeps doubling them up with loose calls time after time after time. Personally I find this the most psychologically and physically draining situation in an SNG (it doesn't do my health any good either cos my I tend to chain smoke during these situations /images/graemlins/crazy.gif).

Cptkernow
07-26-2004, 07:14 AM
I hate this.

However I should love it because it demonstrates that that particular player lacks a very intrinsic understanding of a game he has just invested 100$ to play.

It is a much more hatefull situation when you are on the bubble and you ae short stacked to and the big stack keeps giving the other small stack free looks at the flop. It then gets even more hatefull if the big stack plays the flop passively.

kenewbie
07-26-2004, 07:28 AM
Betting on the draw like that is correct in some circumstances.

If the all-in player is seriously short stacked and/or the one betting his draw has a large percentage of the chips, the bet is perfectly valid as long as there is money in the sidepot.

k

Stoneii
07-26-2004, 07:33 AM
worse is when he then folds to the short stack's raise when it's a v.small % of his stack /images/graemlins/confused.gif

stoneii

mackthefork
07-26-2004, 07:47 AM
Yeah i remember sitting with 1500 left BB was at 800, and the shortstack pushed his last 1000 from utg, and took down a pot worth 2450 without a contest, on the bubble too. Nothing worse than this imo.

Regards ML

HighStack
07-26-2004, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Short Handed....

Big stack in the small blind. Shorter stack in the Big Blind. Folded around to the Big Stack who... CALLS the big blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the same sitch with the sb RAISING would be the real peave, no?

Cptkernow
07-26-2004, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Short Handed....

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NO!

This is what you want to happen and you should quickly learn why.

pokerstudAA
07-26-2004, 09:31 AM
My biggest peeve is when I am mid-stack size and the larger stacks keep folding around to the shorter stacks blinds. Got to keep the pressure on the small stacks so us mid stacks have a shot. This is really annoying when there are 4 people left. The other day the blinds were 200/400. The SB was the big stack and call the blind. The short stack big blind went all in on him for about 125 more and the big stack folded. I was left quite peeved and scratching my head.

donkeyradish
07-26-2004, 10:08 AM
I was severely abused once in a game for doing it, accused of collusion, all sorts!

(It so happened that the small stack overtook the middle stack, but why should I care?)

It just turned out I had a mini-run of getting dealt hands like 72o against the small stack, and since my chip lead was still huge I was happy to wait.

HighStack
07-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Post deleted by HighStack

donkeyradish
07-26-2004, 10:14 AM
My pet peeve is players who play too slowly, because they are on multiple tables at once.

jedi
07-26-2004, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Short Handed....

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NO!

This is what you want to happen and you should quickly learn why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah woah, he didn't specify anything except that he was low on chips pre-flop (i assume) and didn't like the SB calling, why the snotty response? What he really wants is a fold to pick up the blind unless he has a great hand (which he probably doesn't have if he's sounding like he doesn't want to even play the bigstack at all) which wasn't specified, pretty much nothing was specified except he doesn't like to be called while low on chips in the BB.....if he doesn't want to be called why would he want to be raised?? Thanks for the awesome reponse, very condecending just like I like. Type back something educational to explain your answer which DOES makes sense if the missing variables were included in the original post. If he had a premium hand and the highstacked SB did raise, of course he'd want that.

Please try to type polite, so very tired of coming across attitudes on this forum, it takes everything away from them. We all just want to talk and learn from these posts, that's the point, what people don't enjoy is when they get a reponse like you gave to me. I havn't played my whole life, if you know something state it like a gentleman and you'll get a thank you most of the time. Read what you wrote and try to take it in a friendly way, you can't. It was totally snotty. No need for it. If you think your opinion is right, state why and it will be respected. I don't mind posting a false opinion or idea on accident if indeed I'm wrong, the upside is I get to learn why I might be wrong and apply it to my game in a (+) way if someone like you could learn to give a friendly educational reponse. l8r

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you addressing?

Poster A: I hate it when the SB just CALLS the short stacked BB.

Poster B: Wouldn't you hate it more if the SB raised?

Poster A (or is it C?): NO! You should like that and understand why.

So which post are you objecting to? By your own post it sounds like B, but it might be C.

Hood
07-26-2004, 10:20 AM
I think sometimes this can be good play by a very big stack. Is the bubble situation not benificial to the largest stack - as they can bully around the middle stacks who are trying to servive until short-stack goes out?

Dominic
07-26-2004, 10:23 AM
mine is when I limp with a suited connectors or some kind of speculative hand along with a few other limpers, and the big blind raises it the minimum! Now what invariable happens is that someone who limped with a small pocket pair decides it's time to take down the whole pot, re-raises it a REAL number of chips and I have to fold.

That, and anyone nimrod who raises or bets the minimum in no limit, is my pet-peeve.

Cptkernow
07-26-2004, 10:23 AM
read the origianal post more clearly.

HE IS NOT THE SB.
IT OBVIOUSLY HAS BEEN FOLDED TO THE SB.

His hand is therefore irrelevant as there is only the SB and the BB to play.

IF the big stack just calls the small stacks BB he gives the BB a free look at the flop and a chance to win the blinds (very important to the small stack.)

Hence you want the big stack to raise the small stack or fold, not give equity to aid the survival of the small stack. If you are on the bubble you want that small stack gone not being given free chances to look at the flop.

My repsonse was harsh but for your own good. What you said was so inhrently wrong that you needed to be shocked out of your deep ignorance.

If you cant take advice in a harsh form, perhaps start looking for another forum as I am mild compared to many on here.

HighStack
07-26-2004, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
read the origianl post more clearly.

HE IS NOT THE SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand he's the BB, I just don't understand why a call is bad. That's all man........that's all.........

mackthefork
07-26-2004, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was severely abused once in a game for doing it, accused of collusion, all sorts!

(It turned out that the small stack overtook the middle stack, but why should I care?)

It just turned out I had a mini-run of getting dealt hands like 72o against the small stack, and since my chip lead was still huge I was happy to wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful i e-mailed stars a couple of times with this sort of stuff, the only excuse is complete (add word) or collusion. (check their terms on soft playing)

If there is 1200 in the pot i call 600 more with 72o or whatever.

Regards ML

mackthefork
07-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Alright thats a fair point, i heard it said before, but i still don't like it myself.

Regards ML

Cptkernow
07-26-2004, 10:45 AM
I think you missed this. I edited my post.

HE IS NOT THE SB.(He is not the BB either)

IF the big stack just calls the small stacks BB he gives the BB a free look at the flop and a chance to win the blinds (very important to the small stack.)

Hence you want the big stack to raise the small stack or fold, not give equity to aid the survival of the small stack. If you are on the bubble you want that small stack gone not being given free chances to look at the flop.

My repsonse was harsh but for your own good. What you said was so inhrently wrong that you needed to be shocked out of your deep ignorance.

If you cant take advice in a harsh form, perhaps start looking for another forum as I am mild compared to many on here.

Cptkernow
07-26-2004, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
read the origianl post more clearly.

HE IS NOT THE SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand he's the BB, I just don't understand why a call is bad. That's all man........that's all.........

[/ QUOTE ]

HE IS NOT THE BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LinusKS
07-26-2004, 11:05 AM
I hate min raises. I don't understand why people do it - which is maybe why they do. Or maybe they're just nimrods. That's the thing - you never know.

There are some situations where if you're the big stack it's not a bad deal to keep the short stack around. Two mid stacks are not likely to play back at you four handed as long as he's around.

But aside from that, yeah I hate the big stack fold, too.

If you're in the bb, and the short stack goes all in for 200 more making a 1000T pot, you should almost always call that, no matter what you have.

HighStack
07-26-2004, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you missed this. I edited my post.

HE IS NOT THE SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, so he wasn't even playing this hand??? If that's true then I totally get the point of all this. Why is it necessary to be harsh on here..you get a kick out of it or something? Also, ignorance is making a rude uneducated statement based on nothing you know or even tried to learn before bashing someone......all i did to start this off was ask a question and you slammed me for my question when I never even pushed that I thought i was right. There IS something wrong with that!! If you wanted to shock me out of my so-called "ignorance", perhaps giving the correct answer w/ an explaination like you just did (and i thank you) would have accomplished that. I'm not sure why you need to be so combative, teachers who yell at students aren't more effective so i'm not sure where you're coming from. I just want to learn, not be shocked. I hope at least one person sides with me.

Cptkernow
07-26-2004, 11:12 AM
Ignorance= not taking the time to understand the question.

Where you teased at school. You are very sensitive.

Cptkernow
07-26-2004, 11:15 AM
"teachers who yell at students aren't more effective so i'm not sure where you're coming from"

Dont have the time or inclination to be your "teacher" therefore have to take short cuts.

HighStack
07-26-2004, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ignorance= not taking the time to understand the question.

Where you teased at school. You are very sensitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I re-read that first post several times thank you, the whole time thinking he was the BB. No big deal, your rude writing style has stated your probable age and maturity to me already and I understand what it's like to be 19. This has nothing to do with me being sensitive don't you understand that yet???? It has everything to do with showing people respect on a forum unless they are truly being ignorant which i certainly wasn't. If you re-read your past posts to others over the past months you never show respect and that does bother me, sensitive or not. I hope at least one person will agree there is no reason to be rude on these forums when we're all for the most part just trying to have fun playing and improving in a game we love.

mackthefork
07-26-2004, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope at least one person will agree there is no reason to be rude on these forums

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that.

Regards ML

PS Anything i say will be taken down and used against me in evidence. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cptkernow
07-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Not only are you over sensitive you have a very preachy tone.

If you think me saying

"NO! This is what you want to happen and you should quickly learn why"

In relation to you saying something totaly and utterly wrong (because you didnt even read the post properly), is rude then we have very different ideas of what constitutes rude.

With more maturity you will become less sensitive.

Also the claim that I never show other posters respect is just a blatant lie and much ruder than anything I said to you. Yes I did blast into someone once but that was in relation to a suggestion that was extrmely "ignorant" and needed to be steped on fast.

MercTec
07-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Irresponsible big stack play is so rampant, its ridiculous. I see it at all levels and it's so frustrating. Sometimes I can't help but comment, but most time I use my newfound knowledge to run over their passive play.

donkeyradish
07-26-2004, 12:11 PM
It says:

Soft playing or chip dumping is grounds for disqualification from the tournament.

I think this merits a discussion topic of its own

HighStack
07-26-2004, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes I did blast into someone once but that was in relation to a suggestion that was extrmely "ignorant" and needed to be steped on fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

woo hoo! You stop ignorance faster than Smokey the Bear puts out forest fires! That's awesome! ha ha!! later! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cptkernow
07-26-2004, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes I did blast into someone once but that was in relation to a suggestion that was extrmely "ignorant" and needed to be steped on fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

woo hoo! You stop ignorance faster than Smokey the Bear puts out forest fires! That's awesome! ha ha!! later! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Will your ignorance ever stop? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DontPlayScared
07-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Passive big stacks and people playing slowly really annoy me, too.

But my biggest pet peeve is when someone cries about catching a bad beat. I catch dozens of bad beat a week (as I'm sure most of you do, also). Though it is very frusterating, especially when the other guy only has 2 or 3 outs, it's part of the game. No one wants to listen to your whining. We've all been there.

BrettK
07-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeah. Yesterday, during the final four of an SNG, the short stack was on the BB with 1.5xBB after posting. The big stack min-raised and the BB called, leaving him with 0.5xBB. He executed a stop and go and pushed on the flop with a 1/8th pot bet. The big stack folded.

Brett

BrettK
07-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Definitely. Even worse are the ones who decide to take ten minutes to educate the fish while foaming at the mouth. At least a little enjoyment can be derived from spewing catch phrases and supportive comments in favor of the fish while all of this is going on.

Brett

HighStack
07-26-2004, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Will your ignorance ever stop? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Will my "display of lack of education or knowledge" ever stop? For a person who uses the word ignorant in every f-in time he writes you'd figure he'd use it correctly 20% of the time. Why don't you educate yourself in the field of respect for starters because you definitley have a hair across your ass or a Bicki stuck in it, billyboy. I'm gonna stick with posting at the classy non-yahoo, non-teenage, respectful type message board which URL i will not share. Over there you don't have to deal with 9th graders calling you ignorant because you want to learn more about poker. You deal with pro's who don't shoot you down for taking a stab.

SumZero
07-26-2004, 01:45 PM
But that is just silly. Sometimes it is in the big stacks interest to not tangle with the shortest stack. Imagine something like 6200, 1700, 1600, 500 with 75/150 blinds. Where the 2nd and 3rd stacks are playing passively waiting for the short stack to go out. If I'm the 6000 stack and I'm successfully pushing the 2nd and 3rd stack off all their hands I may not want to call the short stack all-in with some mediocre hand (say, J8) that figures to be a likely 1/3 to 2/5 say against the short stack, even when I'm getting to risk only 350 to win 1000 with the overlay (I'm in BB say). Because if I double up the short stack 2nd and 3rd position may well come alive, and if they stay passive I may well be able to steal another 1000 to 1500 from them with very low risk.

Cptkernow
07-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Bye.

P.s.

I have used the word ignorance after every display of your lack of knowledge (self knowledge)

Again if you think I was rude to you then you must be the most thin skined "man" on the planet.

By now you have of course have been much ruder than I ever was to you.

Pot meet kettle.

Eder
07-26-2004, 01:52 PM
If I'm holding the big stack when down to last 4 I enjoy keeping small stack around...no reason to bust him out ASAP...better ability to whittle down the mid stacks with a few raises...

of course if I'm mid stacked then I silently curse the moron big stack for passive play haha...

Definetly busting out 4th is most depressing thing about these SnG's...finished 4th 5 times in row Saturday...tried for 6 in row but won the last one lol...

SumZero
07-26-2004, 01:53 PM
Yes this definitely annoys me. Even more silly are the people who start swearing after their "bad beat". Especially if it is something like AQ vs AK all-in preflop where the Q comes on the flop but the K is the river card. And then the person with AQ goes balistic and starts swearing at the person who had the AK for getting lucky and pulling out the bad beat. Gotta love that.

mackthefork
07-26-2004, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. Yesterday, during the final four of an SNG, the short stack was on the BB with 1.5xBB after posting. The big stack min-raised and the BB called, leaving him with 0.5xBB. He executed a stop and go and pushed on the flop with a 1/8th pot bet. The big stack folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that isn't cheating i don't know what is.

Regards ML

mackthefork
07-26-2004, 02:14 PM
DontPlayScared

Let me see if i can misquote you using your own words

[ QUOTE ]
But my biggest pet peeve is........

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
...........catching a bad beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I catch dozens of bad beat a week......

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
.......it is very frusterating........

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
.......especially when the other guy only has 2 or 3 outs,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
No one wants to listen

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate bad beats too man. /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards ML

B Dids
07-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Sitting with a moderate short stack, only to have a big stack call the very short stacks all-in with crap, doubling him up and making ME the short stack.

That and what happened to me yesterday.

I'm heads up, down a touch. I move in from the SB with QJs. He calls with Q20 Flop holds a Q, river 2 and I'm out- and he says "got tired". I don't mind somebody calling me with Q2, but somebody making a call they know is lousy because they were "tired". Grr...

BigJer
07-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I agree with this particular peeve. You really don't want too many life-lines to be thrown to the short stacks. But then again I've caught a few as well and used them to go on to win. When you are short stack and the hi-roller calls with crap it can make up for quite a few bad beats or plain bad calls!

Perhaps the bigger peeve is to not be holding the cards to enable you to get in on the action too.

stupidsucker
07-26-2004, 03:33 PM
People bluffing dry(or very small) sidepots on the bubble.

Stop this you stupid retards!(unless I am the all in)

BigJer
07-26-2004, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My pet peeve is players who play too slowly, because they are on multiple tables at once.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but I'd put up with this if I could play multiple tables myself. I can't cos I just end up sucking at both or all of them.

Prickly Pete
07-26-2004, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that isn't cheating i don't know what is.

Regards ML

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if you're kidding here, so I'll assume you're not. I'd guess somewhere over 99% of the time this kind of thing happens, it is not cheating. Just disgustingly poor play.

mackthefork
07-26-2004, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if you're kidding here, so I'll assume you're not. I'd guess somewhere over 99% of the time this kind of thing happens, it is not cheating. Just disgustingly poor play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was half kidding, i agree 99% of the time it isn't cheating, but it irritates me so much it moves me to exaggeration, see even you had to use two adjectives to descibe how bad it is /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Regards ML

Desdia72
07-26-2004, 05:13 PM
getting busted out in 4th by a weaker hand, usually by some big stack calling with crap. 4th place is crappy even if you get beat by a slightly better one.

patrick dicaprio
07-26-2004, 06:46 PM
when J. Lo ignores my marriage proposals. or at least my sex proposals, after all who wants to marry her.

Pat

UncleDuke
07-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Yesterday I was in one that was down to 4. Folded to short stack who is SB and pushes his remaining 340, making it 40 to the BB who is third in chips. BB folds. Arrrrgh!