PDA

View Full Version : Heads up against GoT

cold_cash
07-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Do you bet the turn like I did? How about the flop call?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: cold_cash is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">cold_cash raises</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB <font color="purple">(GeeOhTee)</font> 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, cold_cash calls.

Flop: (7 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">GeeOhTee bets</font>, cold_cash calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
GeeOhTee checks, <font color="CC3333">cold_cash bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">GeeOhTee raises</font>, cold_cash calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">GeeOhTee bets</font>, cold_cash folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.50 BB, won by GeeOhTee.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to GeeOhTee.</font>

Alobar
07-16-2004, 12:04 AM
I wouldn't bet for the exact reason what happened. You HAVE to call his checkraise.

Nate tha' Great
07-16-2004, 12:09 AM
When tight aggressive player is betting the whole way, and you're calling the whole way, and he checks it to you on the turn on a card that just happens to give you 12 miraculous outs to the nuts, you had damned well better take that free card.

gamblore99
07-16-2004, 12:18 AM
What do you guys think about raising the flop?

I think it would be weak, as at best you would be up against AQ. is this line of thinking correct?

Alobar
07-16-2004, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think about raising the flop?

I think it would be weak, as at best you would be up against AQ. is this line of thinking correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like it because most likely a 3 bet out of the blinds he is holding a higher pocket pair or at least big painted broadways. A reason to raise the flop would be if there was some chance you can win right there, but with pretty much all of his probable holdings he is going to call your raise so you really have no chance to win it immediately. Also on the same token, hes putting you on a hand worthy of an open raise from EP that also wasnt worthy of a cap with posistion, and that board didnt hit alot of those hands, so it looks like a semi-bluff/"I want the free card if the turn doesn't hit me" raise, and I don't think GOT lets you get away with something like that.

GuyOnTilt
07-16-2004, 12:41 AM
Just so everybody knows, my turn check wasn't very good.

GoT

cold_cash
07-16-2004, 12:55 AM
I made this same mistake on the 2+2 table awhile back. I picked up a flush draw on the turn and walked right into a checkraise.

I guess I need to think more and bet less. Is there ever a time when this is a good semi-bluff? There must be.

Nate tha' Great
07-16-2004, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just so everybody knows, my turn check wasn't very good.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I'm getting increasingly down on these types of turn check-raises (check-raises with a strong hand heads up when you have been leading). It seems to me that a number of bad things can happen when you check the turn with the intention of raising:

1) A player with a weak draw like a gutshot will get a free card that can win the whole pot for him, when he otherwise would have folded or called incorrectly.

2) A player with a moderate strength made hand who was planning on raising the turn will bet when checked to and will call your check-raise, but by betting you would have been able to get three bets in on the turn rather than two.

3) Similarly, a player with a strong draw who was planning on raising as a semibluff may put two bets in on his draw rather than three, and will occasionally put zero bets in rather than three.

4) A player with a weak but showdownable made hand like bottom pair, who was planning on calling both the turn and the river, will bet but fold to your check-raise. That will cost you at least one bet, and sometimes more if he could have made a second best hand on the river (like trips or two pair against your set). Alternatively, the same player may check behind on the turn, so it costs him one less bet to see a showdown.

There are benefits to the play, espeically on certain boards against certain opponents, and I think it should be in any good player's bag of tricks, but my sense is that players are becoming more alert to it (I've been seeing a *lot* more folds lately in my online games), and it might be something that has run its course.

Brian
07-16-2004, 01:54 AM
Hi cold_cash,

I'd call the River. I don't trust GOT. I really don't trust him when I'm getting 8:1.

-Brian

Sarge85
07-16-2004, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When tight aggressive player is betting the whole way, and you're calling the whole way, and he checks it to you on the turn on a card that just happens to give you 12 miraculous outs to the nuts, you had damned well better take that free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

----My new Mantra.....

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Baulucky
07-16-2004, 06:52 AM
What is GoT playing 0.5-1 for?. Money?.

Trix
07-16-2004, 07:07 AM
He isnīt check-folding anything here, so he is most likely going for a check-raise. Take the freebie.
If he had bet the turn you could raise if you thought he would fold JJ/QQ though, but he isnt folding here for one bet.

I think he had TT/99 or AK and dont like his check either as you should take the freebie very often here and the K puts a flush draw and some gutshots on the board.

cold_cash
07-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the replies.

GoT showed AK.

cold_cash
07-16-2004, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he had bet the turn you could raise if you thought he would fold JJ/QQ though, but he isnt folding here for one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was pretty much what I was hoping to accomplish with the turn bet, but I didn't take into consideration that he wasn't going to check-fold.

sfer
07-16-2004, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What is GoT playing 0.5-1 for?. Money?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bimmer depleted the roll. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

papawawa
07-16-2004, 11:59 AM
The headsup check-raise on the turn is definetly suspicious; smells like a bluff. However, with only a good draw, I would be calling instead of raising anyway. Nice job on that. It seems this guy just got lucky - putting you on the AQ/ because its the only decent hand that hasn't hit (Re: Clarkmeister's post "What the fish put you on"). Anyway you have to fold when he bets into you after the blank hit. tough luck.

papawawa
07-16-2004, 12:09 PM
yeah thats a damn good point, disregard my previous post.

arkady
07-16-2004, 12:57 PM
yeah, 15/30 was too much so he decided to take some off us last night. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Baulucky
07-16-2004, 06:06 PM
I was serious. I want to learn why would he do that.

GuyOnTilt
07-16-2004, 06:20 PM
I was serious. I want to learn why would he do that.

I usually don't play .5/1, but I noticed that 7 players from my buddy list, aka. the fishy list, were all sitting at the same table.

GoT

Baulucky
07-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Bullshit.

me454555
07-16-2004, 06:28 PM
I'd have tossed it on the flop

My reasoning: GOT knows I'm a good player and he 3 bet me out of position after I've shown some strenth by rasing in MP1. I put him on AA-JJ, AK, AQ(maybe but not likely). You're dominated and missed the flop. The pot is still small, toss it and find greener pastures (sp?)

Turn: Check behind. Is he folding for 1 bet on the turn after 3 betting pf and betting the flop? No. Do you have a value bet w/your cards? NO. Check behind and hope to make it back by raising the river if he bets into you.