PDA

View Full Version : 97s with TP

dave44
07-14-2004, 12:24 AM
Only read is that MP3 is a definite LAG.

I'm certainly betting the flop when it's checked to me.

I wasn't prepared to give LAG credit for the trips, but because I suspected that with 6 players to the turn, it was very possible a check raise was coming, I decided to call instead of raise. This may have been a mistake.

With no check raise on the turn and a check from the LAG, I threw out a river bet, which may have also been a mistake with my only one pair with a mediocre kicker and 4 players left.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 <font color="purple">(LAG)</font> calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks,

Flop: (8 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, LAG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, LAG calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">LAG bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (11 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, LAG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds, LAG folds.

Final Pot: 13 BB

cold_cash
07-14-2004, 12:30 AM
Raise the turn, see if you can make it a two-handed pot.

Piiop
07-14-2004, 12:32 AM
I agree with cold cash. Raise the turn.

dave44
07-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Fold to a 3-bet?

Piiop
07-14-2004, 12:49 AM
If you raised and everyone else folded, then the LAG 3-bet you should call down.

If there was a check-3bet from another opponent then I'd have to re-evaluate.

dave44
07-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Button took the pot with J9 giving him a better kicker. I would still simply call that turn bet again if I find myself in the same situation, because the odds that out of those 6 people someone has an 8 must outweigh any other value out of that bet. Ironically, perhaps in this situation a turn raise would have knocked out the button, but I could still see him calling at this limit.

cold_cash
07-14-2004, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the odds that out of those 6 people someone has an 8 must outweigh any other value out of that bet

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this.

[ QUOTE ]
Ironically, perhaps in this situation a turn raise would have knocked out the button, but I could still see him calling at this limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Concentrate on making the proper plays at the right time. We could debate back and forth about whether raising the turn is the optimum play here or not, (which I believe it is), but that's beside the point.

The best play is the best play, no matter what the limit.

dave44
07-15-2004, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The best play is the best play, no matter what the limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This cannot possibly be true. Your opponents are a completely different breed at .50/1 than at 5/10. Different actions are called for in similar circumstances at different limits, which is likely why we have a micro-limit, small stakes, and mid-,high-stakes forum.

Rico Suave
07-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Dave:

I think raising the turn is the best play here, especially with your read of the turn bettor. And, yes, you have to call a 3-bet with as many as 6 outs. Sure you will lose more when you are behind, but if you are ahead (and there is a good chance you are), you simply have to protect your vulnerable hand. It is definitely worth the cost of 1 more BB to increase the chance that you win this one.

--Rico

cold_cash
07-15-2004, 12:36 PM
What I'm saying is, the best play is the best play, whether you're in a loose and wild 30/60 game, or a loose and wild 1/2 game.

Sure, reads on your opponents and what kind of players they are is very important, but the limit you're playing isn't.

Surfbullet
07-15-2004, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Different actions are called for in similar circumstances at different limits

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true - the likelihood an opponent will call greatly affects whether a bet has value or not, eg) if an opponent will only call with better hands it is not a value bet... and this directly relates to the level as you are more likely to get paid off by poor hands at lower limits.

However, cold_cash is right - raise the turn. You can't assume the 8 is out there, and you will hopefully get it HU with the LAG, or at least reduce the field to give you a better shot at winning it.

If you get 3-bet by a previous caller you may be in trouble, but you cannot assume that *will* happen and miss a bet that will increase your chances of winning the hand.

Dan

tiltaholic
07-15-2004, 02:32 PM
No one has commented on the preflop call but I would not play this preflop.
Am I too picky?
There are 4 limpers and likely the blinds...but really, 97s?
It would never occur to me to call this. What about 86s and on down?

As for the rest of the hand, I agree- there is no reason to assume that someone has an 8. Especially the LAG, who, being a LAG, is trying to represent that 8. So, I would raise the turn and take it from there...