PDA

View Full Version : 33 Standard?

Schneids
07-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Yay for more unknowns! Button begins the hand with $68 and I have noted as a 25PFR.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Schneids is BB with 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Schneids calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Schneids checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Schneids raises</font>, UTG folds, MP calls, Button calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Schneids checks, MP checks, Button checks.

River: (7.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Schneids checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, Button calls, Schneids...

1. I assume flop check raise == standard. Although I'm considering whether there might be some added benefits of betting out.

2. Turn check?

3. River overcall or fold? Or should a bet out on the river be argued?

spydog
07-13-2004, 06:09 PM
Flop: I like the check-raise here. I hope to get rid of UTG and MP. When MP cold calls 2, I have to suspect he paired his 8, the OESD, or a higher pair.

Turn: If you check-raised the flop, why not lead the turn? Many opponents give up here. If you get raised, then let them take the pot.

River: Based on your read of the button, I think he would call down with A high. That leaves MP. After he sees your check on the turn, I would hope he would bet any 7,8, or straight. Since he didn't, I gotta believe he might be on A high also. I would lean toward a call, with very little confidence.

Joe826
07-13-2004, 06:18 PM
Hey Schneids,

I've decided to start throwing my opinion out on these hands just to try to learn more for my own games sake, and not necessarily because my opinions are correct heh.

I like the flop C/R, and it looks like MP is scared of trip jacks which is why he checks it through on the turn, but once he sees the third one hit he's convinced nobody has it and his 8 is good so he bets out. This fold sucks, but I think it's right, unless you know MP has the ability to put a move on here with A high.

Nate tha' Great
07-13-2004, 06:31 PM
I don't think the flop raise is standard. I plugged what I believe to be a typical range of limping and raising (from the loose player described) hands into PokerStove with this flop and came up with around 11% equity for your 33. If you can fold out one of the limpers with your check-raise, your equity is still not all that high - around 19%. Even against the LAGgy preflop raiser and nobody else, your equity is just 35%, provided that the hand will go to showdown.

Granted, your actual chance of winning the hand is a bit higher than that, since you will sometimes induce an incorrect fold. But I don't think that's enough to work with, out of position with a hand with reverse implied odds. You're also not likely to be given credit for a J very often here, which might be a reason to play Jx that way, but doesn't help you any when you have 33. So the standard play is to fold.

joeboss
07-13-2004, 06:32 PM
i like the way you played this hand, button calling two cold is awfully scary to bet again on the turn imo especially since t9 hit. Im leaning towards calling the river as buttons play looks like AK or AQ so im not too worried by the overcall

Schneids
07-13-2004, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even against the LAGgy preflop raiser and nobody else, your equity is just 35%, provided that the hand will go to showdown.

Granted, your actual chance of winning the hand is a bit higher than that, since you will sometimes induce an incorrect fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

But there is close to 5BB's already in the pot. My check raise gives me roughly 5:1 immediate odds. Say I get HU with the button, then it's probably likely the button ends up all in... When he calls my flop c/r, he has $28 left.

In essence, I'm wagering $38 to win a $118 profit or so. That seems like a good bet.

Things only change when I get cold called.

Nate tha' Great
07-13-2004, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even against the LAGgy preflop raiser and nobody else, your equity is just 35%, provided that the hand will go to showdown.

Granted, your actual chance of winning the hand is a bit higher than that, since you will sometimes induce an incorrect fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

But there is close to 5BB's already in the pot. My check raise gives me roughly 5:1 immediate odds. Say I get HU with the button, then it's probably likely the button ends up all in... When he calls my flop c/r, he has $28 left.

In essence, I'm wagering $38 to win a $118 profit or so. That seems like a good bet.

Things only change when I get cold called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, it's +EV if there's no chance that the other players will call (or 3-bet). I just think the chance that you'll get cold called is pretty high, especially as a J is going to play pretty often in these games. If there were only one limper, or the flop were like 997, I would like the play a lot better.

Ulysses
07-13-2004, 07:24 PM
I'd bet the turn.

stripsqueez
07-14-2004, 01:40 AM
the devil stole my first comment - auto river call

i think the flop is dodgy but fine

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Schneids
07-14-2004, 04:01 AM
I made an overcall while not feeling good about it.

MP had QJo for quads.
Button had 9s7s for 7's full.
I was in last place.

Basically, after MP cold called my flop bet, I was ready to give up on the hand unless the turn brought a three. I really think the turn check is the easiest decision of the three streets (but maybe I'm just odd), especially when the
T9 straight gets completed.

nykenny
07-14-2004, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3. River overcall or fold? Or should a bet out on the river be argued?

[/ QUOTE ]

after check-raising with a bad pair like 33, on a paired flop with one late aggressor and a cold caller, you job is done.

on the turn, your intention to check and fold to MP's bet would also be my standard line as well.

river only made it worse, if MP was playing for a draw, he got there as well. so overcalling here was as bad as it can get.

Kenny