Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Are the consistent MMT players really that good?

i can't really speak for any other site because i exclusively play at Pokerstars, but it's like the same guys are either cashing, making the final table, or winning the tourney. i'm fully aware of the skill factor, but considering the number of MMTs they do well in, i'm like, "DAMN!!" it can't be that much skill in the world. these guys are blessed with good fortune that hits at the right time and impeccable luck. i remember the first hand i played against Hamman (one of the players on the Pokerstars TLB) where i was dealt a hand like A Q and lost at the showdwon to his 7 6 offsuit (he was dealt a fullhouse). i'm not salty because he won the hand and a bunch of my chips, i was more salty with how, just when he needed it, he got dealt a nut hand holding crap preflop. he went on to make the final table.

are these guys really that good or do the Poker GODS bless them more often than us mere poker mortals? people talk about 50% ITM being unsustainable in the long run playing SNGs but these guys seem to cash in MTTs as if the were playing exactly that, SNGs.

is it the competition they play against? is it being able to navigate large player fields through superior play? do they play A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] more differently than you average JoeSmoe?

the floor is now open for friendly discussion.

*note, i have about 4 cashes in MMTs with my highest being 14th (i've had way more success with SNGs) and i also made the final table of a 500 FPP satellite, winning a spot into the PS's weekly $250,000 Guaranteed NL tourney. i also busted out TheBeat (Pete Giordano) in a $10 rebuy tourney when he was in that famous "GO/ALL-IN/WITH/ANYTHING/DURING/
THE/REBUY/PERIOD" crash and burn style.*