Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2002, 11:33 AM

Default I never *ever* turn sets

So, my wife and I and a couple of a friends are having a blast this past Saturday, wasting an entire day playing poker at the Mirage poker room. My wife had entered rgp's TARGET poker tournament - after she busted out, we got in a 6-12. Friend Eugene was in a nearby 3-6.

At some point, Eugene comes over to check up on us, and says to me, "By the way - you've got a real admirer sitting next to me that would love to talk to you. If you stop by, I'll introduce you."

At my next bathroom break I head towards Eugene's table. On his left, a pleasant-enough looking old man. On his right, a drop dead gorgeous tall 30-year-old blonde. With a killer smile.

Now, Sklansky says we have to think about poker away from the poker table. And you have to think about 30-year-old blondes away from your wife. Or something like that.

But I do the obvious thing: I figure my outs. I figure it's about like turning a set - I'm about 23:1 against.

I walk over - say hi to Eugene. He says hi, then turns to his left and introduces me to the very pleasant older gentleman named John. John is a huge fan of my book and gives me a couple of very nice compliments. I thank him and go on to the restroom.

I never turn sets.

Regards, Lee
Old 04-22-2002, 03:55 PM

Default Re: I never *ever* turn sets

Lee,

You can't turn those kind of sets when your wife is in the room. Unless of course you are the kind of player who plays troublesom hands when you know very well you should'nt.

RL
Old 04-22-2002, 04:31 PM

Heh. When I got back to the table, I told my wife what had happened. She gave me a sad pitying look that told me that my odds calculation was off by an order of magnitude or two.

I think she muttered something about "drawing dead" as she turned back to her cards.

Regards, Lee
Old 04-22-2002, 05:18 PM

Default Life isn\'t that kind!!! *NM*

Old 04-23-2002, 01:36 PM

This is the saddest bad beat story I've heard in a long time. You have done something to anger the poker gods. Perhaps earlier in the day you chased a runner-runner third-nut flush?!
Old 04-23-2002, 01:45 PM

Heck - I probably did something like that in the prior half hour. And no doubt did something far more egregious earlier in the day.

Regards, Lee