Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2004, 12:11 PM

Default did I outthink myself

$10 sng, relatively early, seven left. I am utg with JJ and t1900, two in front of me call I raise to t300 and the blinds fold, other 2 call. flop comes Qs 9s Jc. Hit my set, expect to get the check, instead first player goes all in, second calls, and i am in a pickle for all but 200 of my stack. Wondering if one of the two flopped the straight. After deliberating for a minute I decide to fold with the straight and flush draw out. Two blanks hit, player 1 has As,5s and player 2 has Qc, Jh to take the pot with 2 pair. Did I completely overthink this hand or did I make a reasonable move and just guessed wrong?
Old 03-19-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Re: did I outthink myself

I say good call, you still have your chips and you are still in the game, and one of them is gone. I usually suspect someone has either got a decent hand or very good draw to one when they go in. You don't say what blinds are, but I am assuming the 300 bet was good sized, leaving me to suspect both players have decent hands. No need to risk your chips when someone else is trying to do it for you. I always want to be the pusher, not the pushee
Old 03-19-2004, 01:54 PM

KT and 8T have made straights. If players are calling big raises with that trash then that's great for your game. You still have good outs.

AK and AT have gutshot draws. AT is more probable of the two because there was no raise preflop and no reraising. If they're going all in with gutshots, great!

Other than that you're probably up against a flush draw or two big pair most of the time. you're a big favorite here most of the time and the times you aren't, you still have outs to win. QQ has you dead but there was no raise preflop and no reraise so I don't think you'll see that very often here.

To be honest I think you were a wuss with this hand!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:32 PM

I agree with what you are saying Bradley. But, would you really risk 1400 of your remaining 1600 chips against a flush or straight draw? I definitely am betting in ring, but if these two both are going in, I am thinking about folding, yes there is 3700 chips in the pot, and the chip lead, but at the cost of being down to 200 chips, when there are 6 players left? And as I figure it with this much in the pot, the reaming players are averaging less than 1/3-1/2 your current remaing stack.

I'm not saying this is right, I'm just asking.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:58 PM

I actually agree with both of you in one way or another. My thing is that in a $10 sng this early, there are people who will call big bets with KT just to see a flop. And then to go all in after that flop will make you think twice. If it was later in the tournament when it gets down to a tighter game than I expect it would have played out differently. But in this case it was entirely possible that one of these two called with KT, and I would hate to put my tourney on the line against a made straight. As it turns out, you were right and I was a wuss (thanks a lot) and got my AA cracked by an 85 flush about ten minutes later so I guess i should have taken the plunge.

thanks for the responses
PC
Old 03-19-2004, 03:43 PM

There's a saying that goes along the lines of "If you lose with a set and you didn't lose a big pot you didn't play it correctly".