Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 03-13-2004, 11:21 AM

Default SNG strategy

Against typical opponents, how far do you think you would get if you just allowed your chips to be blinded away from the start of the SNG?

I've seen some games where I think you would make it into the money. Agree?
Old 03-13-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Re: SNG strategy

A few months ago I was playing a $10 SNG and was pulled away for something in the middle of the first round. By the time I got back, I was on my last hand before being blinded out. I went out in 4th place.

My guess is that if you haven't played a single hand in the tournament, the opponents should all realize it and will make sure you don't get in the money.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:56 PM

Thanks for your story. The reason I posted was because of a discussion I had with a friend about how tight you should play in the early rounds of a SnG.

Since there always seem to be several players determined to go all-in with the first decent hand they have, unless you truly have a monster, does it not make sense to lay back in the early rounds until they are gone? Of course the counter-argument is that you will not have much of a chip position entering the later rounds, which will make a good result difficult.

Comments?
Old 03-13-2004, 02:36 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

You'd get 4th.

Usually there will be 3 stacks bigger than you that will tighten up on the bubble and just steal your blinds.

I've entered sometimes and went and taken a shower. When i came back i was only down maybe 100 chips at the most and the blinds would be about 2, maybe 3, levels up. So i still have more than enough time and enough chips to have a decent shot at getting in the money.

b
Old 03-13-2004, 03:34 PM

Definitely depends what level your playing at, but your premise of playing very tight early is right on.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:30 PM

I actually finished 3rd here once, but 95% of the time you'd finish between 4th and 6th.

-Michael
Old 03-13-2004, 04:54 PM

I agree with the above. If you were "away" you'd get your blinds stolen, but if you had just enough activity to show presence you'd be around 4th or 5th. It is a very plausible strategy to play super tight, try to pick the loose caller, and just try to double up on an occasional hand.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:39 PM

I tend to play very tight/aggressive in SNG's. I generally only play pairs(raising BIG pairs, calling mid and low), and AK, AQ, AJ. I am generally around with a good enough stack to make a difference.

I am new to the game, but my track record thus far is money about 70% of the time, winning about 20%. Maybe by being more aggressive early I could win more, but I also feel I would not make the money nearly as often.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against typical opponents, how far do you think you would get if you just allowed your chips to be blinded away from the start of the SNG?

I've seen some games where I think you would make it into the money. Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite blinding yourself away, but a friend of mine came in 2nd in an SnG without ever winning a hand.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:58 AM

I used to have connection problems on Party and I went out in the first orbit and finished in the money (almost always 3rd) several times.