Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Putting a maniac on a hand

20+2$ 2-tables SNG on stars. Well, the fish have finally arrived!!

2 first hands are pretty quite. I fold trash. Minor action. third hand: LP goes all-in. all fold. Fourth hand: same guy, all-in! All fold.

Fifth hand...

I get TT UTG. I limp to see what's coming. Maniac is MP now. another EP limper, 2 fold, and then, the unbelievable happens. MP maniac goes all-in! All fold to me.

OK, he didn't do it *every* hand, this is only the third time out of five, so this guy must have *some* standarts. But what? What hands do you put him on? There's a big possibility I'm better than 2:1, maybe much better. Is it good enough, this early? So, Do you take him, or leave him to another player?

PrayingMantis
Old 02-10-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Putting a maniac on a hand

I think this is your opponent.

-AA
Old 02-10-2004, 01:27 PM

Sell me another skirt.

With TT I wait. Just my luck - he actually has something.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:29 PM

I'll typically wait for AA-QQ when this happens. It's just too easy for him to have 2 overcards to you and it would be a coinflip.

Someone else will usually get impatient and call with their A5 or something. And those chips won't stay with that person either (if they win).
Old 02-10-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Results: Maniac busts!!

You should have been there to stop me from calling ...
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I was thinking: "How many more hands this guy should go all-in with, for me to put him on 47o? 3 more? 7 more?", so I decided to gamble. Probably not a good idea.

He had JJ. I felt like a real fish for a second, until another T fell on the flop and I took it down. It was a great call after all... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But seriousely, if it was the 10th hand in a row he pushes PF, would you still suggest mucking TT? It seems pretty obvious that the more frequent someone pushes, the less of a hand he has. The question is - how much are you willing to risk so early in the game? Next time I wait for QQ-AA.

Well, just busted with my JJ against tim's KK, at the 2+2 SNG. Jacks, you can't really trust them I guess.

PrayingMantis
Old 02-11-2004, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Results: Maniac busts!!

Nice call then, but it is really hard to not call him. He may have a better hand but you cant let him keep pushing all in.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Results: Maniac busts!!

Hehe - yeah boyo. My Kings rule!

On the matter of calling with that TT - I would fold when the blinds are so small.

What's the point? the chips are worth less (not worthless!) and the blinds are so small you are in no rush.

Plus it is only 3 hands - it is far from impossible to catch two or three good hands in a row (KK KK last night spring to mind....). After you have played one or two all in your odds of getting a caller are high and moving in becomes a very good move.

If you are going to make the move with something like TT you want to make sure you are directly to the RIGHT of the all in player, you want to make sure that no one else has a monster that they are going to move in with.

I don't think it is a *terrible* move to make at a low stakes game. At high stakes game you have to be very careful I should think.

So generally just sit tight.

Tim

p.s.: Well played in the SNG