Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 02-07-2004, 12:51 PM

Default AKs - What\'s my play?

9 person tourney - 20 bucks to enter - first place takes all... (First question - you play a Winner Takes All like a normal NL cash game right?) All 15 years old or so. Average talent.

Final three and I am BB and chip leader at 800. SB has 400 and UTG has 300. Dealt AsKc and plan to raise 100, but UTG moves all in. Can have a HUGE range of hands. However, I would bet money that he has a combination of two facecards. No pockets though. I still think I am easily going to call, but 400 pushes in also, making it half my stack to call. That is basically a pocket pair, and I have no idea what kind. I muck.

Anyone make this call?
Old 02-07-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Re: AKs - What\'s my play?

It is winner takes all - you probably have the best hand or a coin flip to win there and then.
You also have more than enough chips to be a contender heads up which is what you will almost certainly be (or soon be) after this hand if you lose.

I would definately call.

Tim
Old 02-07-2004, 03:03 PM

Hiya trh,

Easy fold. You're probably up against Ax or Kx, and a pocket pair. The pair is a greater favorite, because at least one of your outs is likely gone.

One player or the other is going will be out (or gutted) after this hand, and you more than half the chips in play. There's no reason to risk your lead on a marginal call, when you'll be needing that leverage heads-up within a hand or two if you fold.

Good fold.

Cris
Old 02-07-2004, 03:14 PM

This is a very interesting hand you posted. To answer your other question, a nine person tourney could well pay out 2-3 places, but winner take all is reasonable as well.

I would lay it down and take my chances heads up. I can see an argument for playing it both ways, made by calculating the range of hands they might be on and the probability of winning it right there and then adding the chances you could come back from the ss. From the top of my head I think it is a close decision unless you a relatively sure one player has AA or KK.

Very interesting post!
Old 02-07-2004, 07:01 PM

I would fold also. Worse case scenario, you lose after calling and you are heads up with 400 chips. The other would have 1100. That would be a very bad situation from having a 800 - 400 - 300 chip lead.

I would probably fold it and then duke it out with the winner heads up with a slight chip lead.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Facinating!

I folded that day, and it was player A (short stacked) with KQ and Player B (middle stack) with AA.

No help and "player A" was eliminated

Just today, after I had read the first reply, I was dealt this hand

3 people left, same format, however I have 400 chips, 2nd has 375 and 1st has 425.

Dealt AQs, player A goes all in for 375, and I call. Chip leader calls with AA. Origional all-iner had KQ

Board is KKQ23
Origional all iner wins hand

Down, to 25 chips, I win the tourney [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2004, 08:47 PM

I probably toss it and hope to go heads up with a slightly larger stack. Because it's winner take all, this is the best choice here. You wouldn't want to lose and be a 3:1 dog playing heads up, so obviously you take your alternate option, which really aint too bad at all.

al
Old 02-08-2004, 10:59 PM

I would toss it and play heads up with a small (negligible) lead, especially if I considered myself as good as (or better than) the remaining players. The all-in re-reraise, unless these are wild players, screams AA-QQ. I don't want the negative end of the 3-way coin-flip when I could guarantee the positive end of the heads-up face-off.

JWP