Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 03:39 AM

Default time for a new computer?

Hi all. I am really not a computer guy. I have a 5 yr old computer and it has slowed to a crawl. All I really need it for is poker and online banking and minimal surfing of the web (2 + 2 for example).

I have been told I can get it wiped out for $60 and it will be like new. But should I just spring for a new computer?

Thoughts and advice appreciated.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Re: time for a new computer?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all. I am really not a computer guy. I have a 5 yr old computer and it has slowed to a crawl. All I really need it for is poker and online banking and minimal surfing of the web (2 + 2 for example).

I have been told I can get it wiped out for $60 and it will be like new. But should I just spring for a new computer?

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean reformating your hard drive? if so, you can do it yourself, assuming you have a windows install disk, for free.

Pro's: will clean your computer of all spyware/malware/viruses/unused programs that you've accumulater over the years. your pc will be like new (but w/ wear and tear on the physical components). which brings us to the con's:

you will need to reinstall all programs, settings, files etc. you will first need to back up all your important files.

bascially, this can be a good 'last resort' option if you feel your pc is bogged down w/ viruses and crap that you can't remove. I would first try running anti-virus/spyware programs, and see what they find.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:41 AM

When seeking computer help, information about your system and problem is key. I'm assuming your computer's operating system is Windows (because I'd be right 9 times out of 10), but you don't state this. Stating information such as this is important.

There are a few things I can point out. Saying that your computer has "slowed to a crawl" can be the result of a few things. The most common one is that there are programs running on your computer in the background. These are often programs that piggyback on other programs. They are usually mentioned in the legal text displayed when you run an installation for a program, but an easier way to avoid these things sneaking into your system is to avoid installing software downloaded from websites with many advertisements and lots of FREE DOWNLOAD text.

To get rid of this software (called "spyware"), you can download programs that are designed to remove it. The one that I find works the best is Spybot: Search and Destroy. You may be surprised how much crud this program finds the first time you use it.

The next, and in my opinion, most important thing to do is do not use Internet Explorer, unless required specifically by a website you need to do business with. Internet Explorer has a very poor history in terms of security, with many bad design decisions made by Microsoft in the past allow shady websites to install software without your knowledge and spoof security on your system. I would suggest using Mozilla Firefox as a web browser, as it has a much better security record and it does not require a powerful system.

It is also important to apply the "updates" that exist for your operating system. In Windows, this may be set to "automatic", where you don't see it happening, or you may need to do it yourself. There should be a menu option in the Start menu called "Windows Update" or something similar.

These measures can be done without reinstalling your operating system, which is a more drastic move because it requires you to make backups of all your documents. This is because this erases all the information on your computer and does a "clean" install of Windows.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:41 AM

Other poster is right, not enough info. A 5yr old windows installation is going to be slow as hell, especially since you aren't a geek and probably have a lot of cruft (useless garbage) clogging it up. A 5yr old machine isn't going to run very well 8-tabling with a 394872398792 hand pokertracker database.

If you just have a modest PT database you can definitely get it "flattened" (format and reinstall). Buy virus protection. Save all your important files. For poker, this amounts to any player notes and your PT database. For the $60 a computer store is going to charge you a friendly geek can really hook you up right in the comfort of your own home.

If you feel you'd like to do it yourself, it's really not too hard, the short version is:

1) backup important stuff
2) put in the boot media and format the drive
3) reinstall windows
4) INSTALL VIRUS PROTECTION
5) use windows update to get current
6) reinstall programs

Look around at the new modest desktops though, Windows XP has quite a few really cool media features that some of my non-geek friends have come to love. If you're into movies or music I'd say an upgrade is something to consider.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:48 PM

I am in the same boat? Suggestions for computers? I need it to play 8 tables with a huge PT database going. My five year old computer is terrible. I was looking at the cheapest dell model with 2 20' CRTs? Will that work out good for me?