Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 10-21-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Powerbook G4

does anyone have one? reviews?
Old 10-21-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Powerbook G4

Yes, love it, but if this is going to be your primary poker machine, get a Wintel instead.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, love it, but if this is going to be your primary poker machine, get a Wintel instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said. although don't buy one now, it's a terrible deal for a slow machine. buy once they start shipping with intel chips, then you'll get yourself a good machine (and it will run windows = poker)
Old 10-22-2005, 12:00 AM

p-p-p-powerbook
Old 10-22-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said. although don't buy one now, it's a terrible deal for a slow machine. buy once they start shipping with intel chips, then you'll get yourself a good machine (and it will run windows = poker)

[/ QUOTE ]

Apple is switching to intel chipsets, but their computers won't run Windows.

EDIT: Oh right, OP. They're fabulous computers, though on the verge of obscelesence. Apple hasn't put out a new laptop in quite awhile; I'd almost definitely wait for the g5 notebooks, whenever they happen.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:49 PM

I used to have the 12in powerbook G4. Loved it to death. OS X is 100% better than windows...sadly I made the business decision, and sold my iPod mini + powerbook for a Dell Inspiron 6000 and iPod nano. I am computer network certified, and have been a technician for 2.5 years, and can honestly say I don't know how the average user deals with windows. Even with my experience it feels like a chore to run. I plan on buying another Powerbook, or Apple machine in the somewhat near future. They're superior in everyway (minus the whole poker deal [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] )
Old 10-22-2005, 04:30 PM

I have owned each of the different (Aluminum) models, and i can safely say that they were all solid, excellent purchases. The most recent one was the 17" Powerbook that came out earlier this year and I never had any issues with it. Design, reliability of the OS, longer battery life, very bright screen, runs quieter than equivalent PC notebooks, lighter and thinner, you can't go wrong IMO unless you are a gamer (there are not nearly as many available for OSX) or an online poker multitabler...

If you are planning to use it for, say, four tabling Party Poker and cherry picking games from other sites while datamining with Pokertracker and using a HUD while playing, then not only will you have to use Virtual PC and take a drop in performance, but you will also have to deal with overlap if not using an external monitor. Then again, the latest release of 17" Powerbooks would support two tabling no overlap pretty well.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apple is switching to intel chipsets, but their computers won't run Windows.

EDIT: Oh right, OP. They're fabulous computers, though on the verge of obscelesence. Apple hasn't put out a new laptop in quite awhile; I'd almost definitely wait for the g5 notebooks, whenever they happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

it has already been done. in fact some people hacked os x onto a generic intel box.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:02 PM

I'm sure it's possible to install Windows on the upcoming intel macs, but it's not like it's a standard option / easy thing to do, which I think is a common misconception.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure it's possible to install Windows on the upcoming intel macs, but it's not like it's a standard option / easy thing to do, which I think is a common misconception.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.