Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-20-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Two Quick Late-Game Hands

Poooosh? Or "Nooo duuuumbass" (too early)

1)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

CO (t1080)
Button (t1380)
SB (t805)
Hero (t1290)
UTG (t2440)
MP (t1005)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls t100, SB completes, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero Pushes, Button folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: t300

2)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

BB (t880)
UTG (t1180)
MP (t705)
Hero (t1440)
Button (t2290)
SB (t1505)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>. Hero Pushes, 3 folds

Final Pot: t150
Old 07-20-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Two Quick Late-Game Hands

right on the edge IMO my friend. the second is a little safer open-pushing from CO. the first one isn't too bad (a little early for me) - punishing the limpers/complete'rs can be fun. but i would have to have some read that we're dealing with a couple tight/weak types (er, loose/weak types, depending on how you look at it).

overall? probably not horrible, but with your stack size and the blinds sizes, i don't know that it is all together necessary yet.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:02 PM

The first hand is okay but the second hand is poop! Your stack is way too big to be pushing K9s through two bigger stacks to steal 150. You've got enough chips that you can fold easy and will be able to do so for the next twenty-ish hands at least. Wait for a better spot.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:10 PM

Wow it looks to me like you're pushing waaaaay to early in these things. Hand 1, I really don't like because an open limp on the button can sometimes be huge. Hand 2 I hate because your hand doesn't play well against what you'll get called by, you have 3 hands to dodge, and you have over 14 bb's. In both hands you're risking way too much for way too little in my opinion.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:11 PM

Aight, I'm just trying to figure out where I need to steal in level 4/early 5, cause by the end of 5 I'm ussually on life support.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aight, I'm just trying to figure out where I need to steal in level 4/early 5, cause by the end of 5 I'm ussually on life support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's something that really helped me out. Start thinking of chips as time. If you have 15BB (or 10M) stacks, you do have a bit of breathing room to try to get your money in with a really good hand, rather than a marginal one. When you're short on chips you've got no time left so that's when you start pushing with marginal hands.

That's a generalization, obviously, but it's the crux of what needs to get done. Figuring out the details and exact situations is what takes practice and study.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:29 PM

OK, so if I'm thinking about my stack size in terms of time/orbits, you suggest 10BB is safe, but where do I need to start making stands? Harrington's standards say I need to get a little loco at M=5, for SNG play where your M can half in a ten hand spread, should I maybe start aggressive steals at 7, or should I still be thinking 5 (maybe as high as 10?)
Old 07-20-2005, 01:38 PM

Its not hard and fast but I generally let it go until I'm around 10BB and less. Once at 5 I start making the very aggressive pushes. I don't really like either push, you've got plenty of time to wait for a quality hand.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, so if I'm thinking about my stack size in terms of time/orbits, you suggest 10BB is safe, but where do I need to start making stands? Harrington's standards say I need to get a little loco at M=5, for SNG play where your M can half in a ten hand spread, should I maybe start aggressive steals at 7, or should I still be thinking 5 (maybe as high as 10?)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is tough to make simple, but basically consider your fold equity based on all the stack sizes in play and your current position. So don't worry about having a set number of blinds or anything like that. If you like, post an entire hand history here and I'll rip into it and show you what I mean. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 04:59 PM

1: reads on button are really important. my default is to check and flop a flush.

2: make a normal raise and fold to a reraise. your stack's too big to open-push.