Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 05-03-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Raise this flop?

I felt very weak tight during this hand. Is this one I should be raising on the flop? If so, is it because of having a pot equity edge?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (9.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 05-04-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Raise this flop?

DEFINATELY .. you have a pair and a decent flush draw... cap this if possible
Old 05-04-2005, 12:09 AM

raising would be bad here.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think its that bad at all, actually.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:32 AM

If MP1 had called I would raise without hesitating, since he didn't I'm going for overcalls on this flop.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:39 AM

With a gutshot, mid pair, and a flush draw, hero as all kinds of outs to improve if his hand isn't currently best (and it might be). Getting this HU would be much less than terrible, and if he gets even 1 cold caller, it's +EV for sure. However, he'll get paid off much better with his big draws if more people stick around.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With a gutshot, mid pair, and a flush draw, hero as all kinds of outs to improve if his hand isn't currently best

[/ QUOTE ]

Which will most likely beat the field, so why try to drive them out? He may likely have the best hand now, but I don't feel so attached to it so as to protect it when I've got 2 quality draws as well. I guess saying raising is bad isn't correct. Raising is fine, you'll likely get HU and your 9's may hold up. I prefer not to raise in this spot.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problems with raising here.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

roughly how often do you think we need the best hand to raise the flop? i assume &gt; 0%. free card potential + out cleanup doesn't seem like enough on their own. tho it might be close.

(if no flop raise)
if only 1 other (behind you) called the flop, do you bet the turn? i imagine we're betting the turn HU.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

roughly how often do you think we need the best hand to raise the flop? i assume &gt; 0%. free card potential + out cleanup doesn't seem like enough on their own. tho it might be close.

(if no flop raise)
if only 1 other (behind you) called the flop, do you bet the turn? i imagine we're betting the turn HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise you have the very real potential of folding people holding T's (giving you 2pr outs unless flop bettor has exactly QT), and also folding anyone who is drawing to a gutshot chop against you.

When lots of people are limping with hands like KT and AT and such, you gain if they fold, and with at least 13 outs, you gain if they call. Obviously you have to have the best hand a small portion of the time, but I didn't do the math; I'll say that I'd actually probably usually raise this, though, given the likely outs I can clean up and the size of the pot (4BB's is not insubstantial). Allowing KTs to see a turned J would suck, and allowing KJ to see a turned T would be even worse.

Rob