Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 06:03 AM

Default I think I\'d rather be a Boxing Champion.

I've been thinking....

given a choice between being the World Series of Poker champ, and being the World Heavyweight Champ in boxing,

I think I'd rather be the champ in boxing - for one, you get to sleep with prettier women - (Robin Givens, anyone?) - when you're not getting trumped up on rape charges, that is....

but more then that, you don't have thousands of young punks talking trash behind you on newsgroups - to them, you're just the champ...none of that "he got lucky and he's a hack" [censored].

- and they don't meet up with you to "take their shot" at you, cause that would be so [censored] stupid - at least that's what I think their last thought would be as fragments of nose and teeth imbed themselves into their brain. When you're a WSOP champ, everyone wants to make a move...a dangerous bluff to get you to muck and say "I bluffed a world champ" -

but I'm too scrawny to be a boxing champ. Someone go out there and live my dream for me....wear a cup.

RB
Old 11-28-2004, 06:09 AM

Default Re: I think I\'d rather be a Boxing Champion.

Brain damage could be the big downside of your vision. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2004, 06:15 AM

Two words - Visible Abs
Old 11-28-2004, 06:28 AM

Two more words - George Foreman
Old 11-28-2004, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Brain damage could be the big downside of your vision. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. Chris Moneymaker will probably still know his name in 25 years.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:08 PM

I'd choose heavyweight champ over just about any other option if it didn't mean having my brains scrambled.

WSOP champ wouldn't mean a whole lot apart from the money. The respect that someone Phil Ivey receives, on the other hand, would be very cool.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:17 PM

Boxing is probably the coolest thing known to man.

-SmileyEH
Old 11-28-2004, 06:20 PM

The brain damage thing would be the thing -- if that comes with, the deal's off.

But otherwise, I think being the boxing world champion would be more satisfying on a lot of levels. There are far fewer of them around, they get paid better, their macho-ness is extremely sexy to women and pretty damn impressive to guys, being in fantastic shape is not something you have to try to fit into your life somehow but actually part of your job and something you get PAID to do.

And, as someone once remarked, boxing is like "chess with muscles." There's something very deeply satisfying about even being able to go one on one with someone for the highest possible stakes(injury, pain, brain damage, even death). An entry into the WSOP is only an entry fee away for any slob on the planet. You have to actually have something rare and strong and commendable inside you to take your chances in the ring.

And if you win even a portion of the fight, even an exchange or two, it can be astoundingly satisfying on the deepest level to have given your all and come out ahead just for that brief moment of time. There is no all-out competition like fighting, nothing as frighteningly intense and powerful. Even someone who loses, on a national level, can be part of something remembered for generations. People will be watching, drawing lessons from, and being compelled by Ali's fights hundreds of years from now.

Being a poker champion is fine, but you probably didn't win it last year and probably won't win it next year, and many people make as much money as the champ does, and many champions are better know. It's not nearly so much a triumph over the whole world as being the world boxing champion. The stakes aren't as high in any way whatsoever, it isn't nearly as hard, and the champ in poker probably isn't anywhere nearly as truly exceptionally skilled and rare a human being as the champ in boxing.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:59 PM

Of course being a boxing champ would be more satisfying -- you'd know that luck was a *much* smaller factor in your success.