Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-23-2004, 12:50 AM

Default Official 2004-2005 Fighting Illini Basketball Thread

Since it seems we have a few Illini on these boards.

For those who don't know, a good place for Illinois discussion is at http://mb9.scout.com/fillinoisinsiderfrm1

For those who don't know, this is a huge year for Illinois. Like most schools a cut below the "elite" programs like Duke, Carolina, Kansas, UConn and Arizona, Illinois really only has a chance to contend for a national championship about once every 3-4 years. This is our first such year since we were a #1 seed in the 2000-2001 season.

So far we are off to a great start at 2-0, but will quickly find out how good we really are when we play Wake Forest in a little over a week from today. Feel free to post any and all comments about the team, season, etc here.

Go Illini!
Old 11-23-2004, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Official 2004-2005 Fighting Illini Basketball Thread

The Buddy Christ is overboard...gotta photoshop it for Illini purposes [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

All I've got to say is there is no possible way basketball will be worse than football, even if they completely tank it.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:39 AM

If we didn't tank last year, there's no way we can tank this year. With all the injuries, player rebellion, new system, negative press, etc and they still managed to win the Big Ten outright.

In my view, an Elite 8 is a good but not great year. Anything further is great, anything less is a big disappointment.

It's important to have a strong regular season too since that would allow us to stay home in Chicago for the regional finals and then move on to St. Louis for the Final Four. Man, lots in our favor this year.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:05 AM

One hopes they'll be better than the football team. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2004, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One hopes they'll be better than the football team. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what all non-Illini need to understand about our football team.

We won the Big Ten Championship with a 10-1 record and went to a BCS bowl in 2001-2002. That's enough to keep us Illinois fans happy for about 20 years. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2004, 01:35 PM

My nephew goes to the University of Illinois (he's on the road back to L.A. as we speak) and goes to every football game, so I get a blow-by-blow of the futility.

I like him, and I like you, so here's hoping your basketball dreams come true.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:41 PM

You can see how excited people are about this. There have
been more views and responses to a John Cole war photography post. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2004, 05:47 PM

Hey Clark

I'd be interested to hear, if you'd be so kind, your honest assessment of Williams and Brown.

-McGee
Old 11-23-2004, 06:18 PM

I'm a Big Ten fan but not a big Illini guy. Saw them play the Gophs last year. I really like Williams as a player but I think Brown will be their downfall. He has too many bad games and I think he'll kill them in the NCAA's. I also like that doofy big guy Smith. With Augestine, Smith and Head they have some good role players to go with Williams and Brown. More Williams, less Brown, better results. At least their coach shouldn't cost them the season.

BTW, I'm a big Hoosier fan so it's going to be a loooong, tough season for me. I just want a couple teams from the Big 10 to do well. It's my only hope, Obi Wan.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:47 PM

Deron is a stud, Dee can be but is very inconsistent. I'm hoping someone fills in the center and that we get a time machine so Randle doesn't break his hand [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]