Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 09-05-2004, 04:08 PM

Default Am I a fish?

First hand of a 30 Person Tourney I was playing...Im an idiot.

Frisbee punk dealt 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Irish_Hugh calls 50
Twigg calls 25
frisbeepunk raises 250 to 300
allinpaul folds
JamesMH folds
Irish_Hugh calls 250
Twigg calls 250
>>>DEALING FLOP<<< [ 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Twigg checks
frisbeepunk bets 1,000
Irish_Hugh folds
Twigg calls 1,000
>>>DEALING TURN<<< [ 9d ]
Twigg checks
frisbeepunk bets 3,000
Twigg raises 700 to 3,700 and is all-in
frisbeepunk calls 700 and is all-in
>>>DEALING RIVER<<< [ Kc ]
Twigg shows a full house, nines full of kings (cards were 9c 5d 6c Ks)
frisbeepunk shows two pair, aces and nines
Twigg wins 10,400 with a full house, nines full of kings
frisbeepunk finishes in 59th place
Mickey44 has joined the table
Mickey44 starts with 4,950
frisbeepunk: nh
Twigg: thx
Old 09-05-2004, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Am I a fish?

I know i was pretty sure he had trips on 4th....but...sigh.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:48 PM

Uh, I think the other guy was the fish...
Old 09-06-2004, 12:39 AM

Hi youngin,

Standard disclaimer: I'm new to Omaha, so don't take anything I say to the bank....

I don't think your play was terrible, but I think you could have played it better. At the turn, you have: (a) an overpair; (b) a non-nut flush draw; (c) a paired board; and, (d) position on an opponent who has checked to you.

Why not check behind and take off a free card? If you hit your flush, you have position and can decide how to play it on a paired board. If you miss, you have only an overpair on a paired board, and you can get away without losing any more than your pre-flop and flop money ... which went in when you were ahead in the hand.

It seems to me that this is a big part of playing Omaha. Well, it's a big part of any poker game, but it seems to come into play a lot more with Omaha, because the "best" hand does change so often in the course of a single pot. But I try to get as much money into the pot as possible when I think I have the edge, and as little money into the pot as possible when I'm not sure I have the edge.

Now, if someone calls me when I have the best of it, and a card comes off that looks to have made their draw, my goal is to NOT pay off their implied odds. Obviously, you can't do that every time. But that's my goal.

Here, your opponent called at the flop, meaning he's likely caught some piece of the flop. When the board pairs at the turn, there's a pretty decent chance it's made him trips, putting him ahead, and killing your nut draw. While it's not 100% that you're behind, the fact is that all you have is one pair and a non-nut draw. So don't put any more in the pot, and don't pay off his implied odds.

Cris
Old 09-07-2004, 04:19 PM

How did you finish 59th in a 30 person tourney?
Old 09-07-2004, 06:13 PM

This is the problem that I have with pairs in Omaha. You get handcuffed to the two cards and that can lead you down the wrong path.

What was your mindset in raising so much after the flop? Were you betting that you were drawing towards a flush draw or did you believe that your AA was the best hand?

I would have checked after the flop and ignored my AA without a second pair on the board and bet as if I was drawing to a nut flush draw. If a spade came up instead of the 9 or K then you could have trapped him, especially if the spade was a queen or jack. He would have had one out and in a small table probably would not have thought that you had his one out.