Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2004, 11:03 PM

Default Tackling the pot raise... what do you need to have?

Our Hero holds [Ah Qh Qd Jd], $25 PLO-High at Party. .25/.50 blinds. Play goes call, call, call, I raise to $1, followed by three calls and a fold. UTG pot-raises to $7.75. No notes on this one, so I don't know if he's an aces-only raiser or someone who will take a fly with less.
The questions:
1) Was the $1 raise reasonable? I figure I've got a hand that can make a lot of big draws and quite possibly top set, so I want a bigger pot.
2) related to #1, is this hand worth a pot-raise from me, given that I'm only in the 4th action seat and can't make the raise all that big?
3) Is what I'm holding good enough to call the villian's pot-raise, and/or is it worth an all-in push?
Old 08-21-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Tackling the pot raise... what do you need to have?

Most likely UTG is holding AA, and at least KK.

1) The $1 raise preflop doesn't do much for you besides make it larger for the UTG to make a bigger raise pf. You do have a hand that can make a lot of big draws, see a flop so you can see what draws you actually have.

2) I don't think this hand is worth a pot-raise preflop. Maybe if you had good position but not in EP.

3) This would be much easier to call if you hadn't raised preflop. If there are a couple of other players also calling then yes you should call. Otherwise I think you can wait for a better opportunity to take his money. At best you're a coin-flip. I don't think he'd be potting it with anything less than KK in his hand, but then again I'm not sure how the $25 PL players play.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Tackling the pot raise... what do you need to have?

if both stacks are deep and you think there is a decent chance that the player will overplay aces, then i'd take a shot because you have position and a bunch of draws. against dry aces you are ~ 2:1 dog, which is what the pot is offering you, and you have the advantage of a better read on his hand and position. unless the flop is really menacing the aces will bet out and you know whether to call or not, he is usually betting blind.